How do i use this?? Do i plug my phone into my computer im clueless! HOw does it erase my Stuff??!!
    12-11-08 03:08 PM
    How do i use this?? Do i plug my phone into my computer im clueless! HOw does it erase my Stuff??!!
    Go back and read the first post in the thread. Then download and install the application on your PC. Run it, and read the extensive Help files before you do anything else. Also, look at the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. CrackMem automates many of the manual editing steps that Reed describes in the MOP. Read the MOP and it will be clear what CrackMem is doing, and why. Most importantly, you don't have to run CrackMem. If you're unsure of yourself, you shouldn't. While CrackMem itself is perfectly safe, it's easy to nuke your device when you start playing with the OS load.
    12-11-08 04:34 PM
    With your number of posts and you current probable level of BlackBerry knowledge you should most likely not be attempting an upgrade.

However please describe just what you have installed, where you have installed it, what you have downloaded and what you are running it on and we will try to get you up and running.

Upgrading an OS is not for beginners. It really is not. OTS carrier upgrades are fine but using CrackMem and DM + OS is a complex but not a complicated process. Even so, many things can, and do go wrong.
    I download the BB software (MOP?) form my desktop. My Bold has the latest OS and not trying to upgrade that. Just delete sample pics, vids, etc.
    I have CrackMem 3.1 installed.

I run the program, select my OS and check what I want. It then say action completed but nothing is removed.

I was able to hack and modify my Razr and iPod Touch easily.

Thanks!
    12-11-08 09:00 PM
    I download the BB software (MOP?) form my desktop. My Bold has the latest OS and not trying to upgrade that. Just delete sample pics, vids, etc.

I run the program, select my OS and check what I want. It then say action completed but nothing is removed.

Thanks!
    I don't have a Bold so cannot check exactly what you are doing. However CrackMem was designed to remove OS modules BEFOR they are installed on the phone. In the case of the Bold, it has a new ability to lock files once they are installed. So post intsallation, CraackMem cannot help you.

THe BlackBerry is not quite so simplistic as Apple or a the Razr. It has a real OS and very serious security. You can modify it but you need to go about it in a specific manner.

Tip: Try my program CrackUtil from the lin in my signature. It might help.
    12-12-08 09:28 AM

Thanks!
    I think you have only modified the files available for the Application Loader, but not yet uploaded to the phone. As Pete says, CrackMem prepares the install. Then you must use App Loader (Desktop Manager) to implement the changes into your phone.

WRT removing the sample multimedia bloatware, some of these files are locked during installation of the OS. You can delete it, but only by forcing a complete reload of the entire OS without the unwanted files ever getting reinstalled. Basically you need to do the OS upgrade procedure using the source fileset modified by CrackMem. The existing OS is wiped and the 'new' OS is installed without unwanted files. The fact that the old and new OS are the same version is (fortunately) ignored by the loader software.
    Last edited by branta; 12-12-08 at 10:06 AM.
    12-12-08 09:56 AM
    Im having issues with this, i downgraded to .102 this AM from .110, phone is up and running with .102, I cannot for the life of me get crackmem to work, Ive used this program 4-5 times in the past, no vendor .xml file on my PC, using DM 4.5 no media manager, it just will not do anything, after execution, and then go to app loader on DM, hit next, it gives the standard no additional applications found, (or that type of message)

Im clueless.
    12-12-08 10:13 AM
    I assume you have confirmed the correct OS in CM. Always something to check.
    12-12-08 10:15 AM
    Yes, Its not doing the whole confirm thing, where it changes to red though, I noticed that, it selects it,, stays in blue.
    12-12-08 10:21 AM
    Its reallllly frustrating as Ive used this before no problems,I know its probably something Im missing, but I checked all the obvious things, vista- compatibility, vendor .xml deleted, blah blah, its just buggin me today LOL
    12-12-08 10:34 AM
    Well, for shiggles, and pure boredom, I decided to load .110 back on, and it seems to be working ok with crackmem, its still installing, I'll report back upon completion.
    12-12-08 11:31 AM
    Let us know how the memory is after awhile...
    12-12-08 11:38 AM
    Well, its connecting now, however whiole loading i noticed the tmobile 5 library loading as well as VAD and the carrier theme, I havnt used crackmem to upgrade before so I am not sure yet if there is an additional step to remove these yet or not..
    12-12-08 11:42 AM
    Ok LOL this is making me insane, VAD, and my carrier theme are there, still, crackmem will not delete them.. argh
    12-12-08 12:05 PM
    Hmmm, does anyone have an older version of crackmem they could email me please? -
    Last edited by rachel0179; 12-12-08 at 01:22 PM.
    12-12-08 12:49 PM
    Let's see if we can sort this out.

CrackMem works by copying files from one place to another. It then deletes the files from the source. A quick way of saying this is that it moves the files.

Here is what I think may have happened.

CrackMem makes a folder on your hard disk in which to store the moved files. This way they are never lost and may be put back into their original place. It stores these files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\+selected OS name. There can be any number of selected OS name folders depending on how many OSs you have been playing with.

These folders are never removed and the files in them are never deleted.

So if you installed .102, used CrackMem on it and then re-installed it, then when CrackMem came to move the new batch of files it would find that the place it wanted to put a bunch of files was already full up with the same files and it would (because of the way it works) be unable to move the files.

I never envisaged that tis would happen - duh.

Here's the fix.

1). MAKE SURE (please) that you have a pristine OS install or you will lose files forever and have to re-install the OS.
    2). Oen up My Computer and select the C: drive. Now go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion and delete (Shift+Del = no Recycle bin) the RemovedFiles\ folder.
    3) Re-install the OS if neccessary ans then run CrackMem.

You can check that CrackMem really has moved files by checking the contents of RemovedFiles\ at any time.

I have just re-installed 8310 4.5.0.102 to check all this and it works fine with my XP SP3 laptop.

I now feel a new button coming on for CrackMem called Delete Removed Files.

Rachel, please PM me or come back here if you need anymore help with this.
    12-12-08 01:41 PM
    Will try that now ty for the response
    12-12-08 01:48 PM
    YAY! That worked effortlessly (now that I knew how to fix it LOL) all is well in my BB world..

Id been wrestling with this since 8.30 this am, I knew in the past it was easy, I knew I had followed the instructions again, and was also successfull many times in the past.. it was a stumper!

Thanks!!
    12-12-08 01:52 PM
    The new button shall be henceforth known as the Rachel button (but it won't say that).

I am sorry that you had the problem. I knew about it and I though nah, nobody but me would do a thng like that.

The new button, and release will have to wait until after Christmas now though.
    12-12-08 02:26 PM
    LMAO "Nobody but me would do a thing like that" ummm..... ask SevereDeceit what Im like lol

The Rachel Button.. I like the sound of that though LOL

Thanks for the help
    12-12-08 02:28 PM
    The selected OS now ONLY ever displays in blue. I changed it from red cuz I thought it looked pretty.
    12-12-08 04:07 PM
    The selected OS now ONLY ever displays in blue. I changed it from red cuz I thought it looked pretty.
    Ahhh I see, the reason why I said that previously was in the first post it saysit will change to red upon selection, so I was still looking for that, and honesly, in the past I never paid attn to it.
    12-12-08 04:48 PM
    Hey, congratulations on 3000 posts. Well done.

Please, do tell, why did you decide to downgrade back from .110? I ask because I am just about to upgrade my 8310 to .110
    12-12-08 04:50 PM
    I now feel a new button coming on for CrackMem called Delete Removed Files.
    I found this today too, and worked out the same cause and fix but didn't think about posting it here. Sorry.

My instinct goes against blind clearing of a folder in this situation. IMO it would be better to offer a standard dialog to overwrite if there's an 'already exists' conflict with the copy. Or just skip the copy on conflicting files because we already have the copy. We know it should be OK to keep the original in Removed because the folders are version linked. Then delete all the original target list from Java.

The other option might be to modify Put it Back so files which already exist in the Java folder are skipped for copy back (this happens anyway) then force clear the Removed\OS folder regardless of how many were skipped. Has the same effect as a Delete button, reduces the risk of breaking the install set, and saves screen space.

--
    p
    12-12-08 05:07 PM
    Hey, congratulations on 3000 posts. Well done.

Please, do tell, why did you decide to downgrade back from .110? I ask because I am just about to upgrade my 8310 to .110
    I noticed last night that after a call, I went down 5mb, but, after working all day on it, and .102, Im now back to .110 and gonna monitor a lil more closly.

And thanks, for the congrats
    12-12-08 05:21 PM
    I think you have only modified the files available for the Application Loader, but not yet uploaded to the phone. As Pete says, CrackMem prepares the install. Then you must use App Loader (Desktop Manager) to implement the changes into your phone.

WRT removing the sample multimedia bloatware, some of these files are locked during installation of the OS. You can delete it, but only by forcing a complete reload of the entire OS without the unwanted files ever getting reinstalled. Basically you need to do the OS upgrade procedure using the source fileset modified by CrackMem. The existing OS is wiped and the 'new' OS is installed without unwanted files. The fact that the old and new OS are the same version is (fortunately) ignored by the loader software.
    Ah, OK.

Thanks. I think I will leave it alone for now. I don't want a brick.
    12-12-08 06:27 PM
1,625 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD