any chance we can get a 3.01 version that works for the Storm?
    The following two files do seem to be supported under 3.0 (based on the help and your notes on here):

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t

I guess you could add the other files for the storm as well, those are just the ones I chose to manually delete and try.
    11-29-08 10:10 PM
    Ok, so I removed the files above (along with the VAD files), then opened up DM and chose to upgrade the OS.

My options were 4.7 (current) and 4.7 local install. I obviously chose the local install since that's the one I removed the files from...

It uninstalled VAD for me, giving me about 3.5MB memory or so, but the backgrounds are still there.

There's another thread in the Storm forum about getting rid of the 5MB of preloaded backgrounds as well... basically, that thread tells you to manually do what this app is trying to do.
    But again, even if you remove/rename those files, you still get the background images! How can we remove them!
    11-29-08 10:49 PM
    Please bear in mind that unless you also download you current OS AS WELL then the upgrade will be a one way trip for you. Unless you do this, there will be no way back. This should not matter but I though that I had better mention it anyhow.

If any of the above is unclear or if you feel that you just need more help then please come back here and ask.
    Sorry to bother again, but getting confused now. I have my 4.5.0.99 OS installed on my PC and already uploaded to my 8100 deleting the vendor file.
    Now I downloaded crackmem and folowed exacly the instructions. But should I run crackmem only when I upgrade my OS? As said before clicking on DM on crackmem my DM appears but doesn't recognize any changes.
    11-30-08 03:26 AM
    Sorry to bother again, but getting confused now. I have my 4.5.0.99 OS installed on my PC and already uploaded to my 8100 deleting the vendor file.
    Now I downloaded crackmem and folowed exacly the instructions. But should I run crackmem only when I upgrade my OS? As said before clicking on DM on crackmem my DM appears but doesn't recognize any changes.
    Before CrackMem, people simply deleted files from the OS as neccessary. For people who knoew just what they were doing, this was fine but for those who felt that an OS upgrade was a somewhat daunting experiences and who did not wish to delve into the morass of files in the OS\java folder, CrackMem automates this process. All CrackMem does is to delet files and store them in it's own waste bin. You should run CrackMem before you begin the OS installation and then run Desktop Manager.

If you have a look in the CrackMem helo file, you will see a step by step guide telling how to upgrade your phone using CrackMem.
    11-30-08 09:04 AM
    Before CrackMem, people simply deleted files from the OS as neccessary. For people who knoew just what they were doing, this was fine but for those who felt that an OS upgrade was a somewhat daunting experiences and who did not wish to delve into the morass of files in the OS\java folder, CrackMem automates this process. All CrackMem does is to delet files and store them in it's own waste bin. You should run CrackMem before you begin the OS installation and then run Desktop Manager.

If you have a look in the CrackMem helo file, you will see a step by step guide telling how to upgrade your phone using CrackMem.
    As it is raining all day if been reading all the 400+ posts
    But still feel dumb about the when to use it.
    As I already deleted some files directly form my current OS following the MO Procedure is it useless running crackmem now? What I make up from your answer is that your product only comes out handy if I am upgrading. So for example if I now move on from .99 to newer OS I can do it all by simply using crackmem.... right>
    (Thx again)
    11-30-08 10:20 AM
    I've still very new to my Storm and blackberries in general. I've figured out a bit of stuff and read several of the blackberry 101 lessons. they are very informative and I still have more to read. Does this new 3.0 crackmem work with the storm?

I think I understand why now in the lessons they say to down load another OS so you have one to edit correct?
    11-30-08 07:00 PM
    I must say this was a great help to me! I tried to upgarde with CracMem and killed my BB! I had to reinstall v4.2 for my curve. I found out that my bbm was gone I came back followed your instructions and it work great! I have my baby back now. Thanks a lot.
    12-01-08 12:19 AM
    ok just read through all the threads here havnt found what im experiencing :s after running crackmem ive found that the "about" doesnt work in the phone. its listed but when i click on it i get nothing?
    12-01-08 06:58 AM
    So everytime you create a new version, i'll have to download the program all over again (there's no "update" button or something that can be pressed)?
    12-01-08 08:35 AM
    I have an OS on my phone but rather than going in and deleting the files manually I tried using crack_mem but it is just loading the OS like nothing has changed. Is there something that I am missing.

I am not trying to upgrade I just want to remove the files using the program.
    12-01-08 07:16 PM
    ok just read through all the threads here havnt found what im experiencing :s after running crackmem ive found that the "about" doesnt work in the phone. its listed but when i click on it i get nothing?
    If you delete Voice Activated Dialing in OS 4.3 or later, you lose the Help About function. This is a known quirk in the OS. You can get the same information by the Alt-EACE or Alt-R.Shft-H from the Home Screen.

So everytime you create a new version, i'll have to download the program all over again (there's no "update" button or something that can be pressed)?
    That's correct at this time. I'm not a programmer, but I suspect that's a lot of effort for very little gain, since there's only one file to download, unzip, and run.

I have an OS on my phone but rather than going in and deleting the files manually I tried using crack_mem but it is just loading the OS like nothing has changed. Is there something that I am missing.

I am not trying to upgrade I just want to remove the files using the program.
    See the Help file with the program. If you are not actually upgrading the OS, Desktop Manager may not always recognize that you changed anything. Pete may have more to say on this subject, but I think this behavior is somewhat out of CrackMem's control as it's a DM issue.
    12-01-08 10:04 PM
    So far it has worked very well for me. I removed all of the junk I don't need on my BB Bold and ended up with 57MB of space, loaded my apps and fire it up and I have 43MB left over. I will take a 10MB jump so I don't have to worry.
    12-02-08 11:58 AM
    any chance we can get a 3.01 version that works for the Storm?
    The following two files do seem to be supported under 3.0 (based on the help and your notes on here):

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t

I guess you could add the other files for the storm as well, those are just the ones I chose to manually delete and try.
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Storm OS right now. I'll get something out within a week.

If anyone else has any files that they think should be removed from the Storm OS then now would be a good time to post them here. Thanks.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-02-08 at 01:46 PM.
    12-02-08 12:31 PM
    CrackMem is a enhanced on a time available basis by me and a couple of others. I am afraid that you will just have to download new versions as I release them.

CrackMem is a free program and I have no plans to incorporate this feature.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-02-08 at 01:43 PM.
    12-02-08 12:34 PM
    Hi, i downloaded crackmem and i downloaded the newest os for the curve 8330 and i open crackmem and it keeps saying no O.S. can be found.
    What am i doing wrong?
    12-03-08 08:47 PM
    Hi, i downloaded crackmem and i downloaded the newest os for the curve 8330 and i open crackmem and it keeps saying no O.S. can be found.
    What am i doing wrong?
    It's not sufficient to download the OS, you have to install it. Double-click the exe you downloaded and the OS will install on your PC. Then run CrackMem.
    12-03-08 08:53 PM
    Perfect it worked, thank you very much!!
    12-03-08 09:28 PM
    i could not get it to delete the sample vids and pics
    12-04-08 09:00 AM
    is there anyway to delete yahoo messager or google talk? everything else worked perfect for me, no i have the lastest 8330 4.5.97
    12-04-08 09:23 AM
    i could not get it to delete the sample vids and pics
    Can you please let me knwo what at least some of the vids and pics are called. That way I can track them down and remove them with the next release. Thanks
    12-04-08 09:27 AM
    is there anyway to delete yahoo messager or google talk? everything else worked perfect for me, no i have the lastest 8330 4.5.97
    These may be put there by your carrier.

I don't have an 8330 so I cannot tell for sure. If you go to Opions, Advanced Options, Applications and there is no app of the name you mention then this is a carrier installed link. If there is a program there, please let me know what it is and I will get ot with the next release.

In the case of a carrier install, the easiest way to get rid of it is to highlight it, press Menu and select Hide. This wil get rid of it temporarily.

You can also go to Options, Advanced Options, Service Books and again, you highlight the offending book (be careful here), press Menu and select Delete. These steps will get rid of the offending link until you (or your carrier) resend the Service Books whereupon they will reapear.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-04-08 at 02:11 PM.
    12-04-08 09:33 AM
    I will have to check this out once 4.6 comes out for my curve.
    12-04-08 11:27 PM
    I will have to check this out once 4.6 comes out for my curve.
    4.6 will not come out for your Curve. The 8350i is a special case. The next major OS upgrade will be 5.0 in 2009. Rumour says it will be released in the 1st 6 months of 2009 but it probably won't be stable until late into that period, if then.
    12-05-08 04:06 AM
    im getting the os cannot be found message when tryint to run crackmem. I have both updated versions so why wont it find my os?
    12-05-08 10:52 PM
    im getting the os cannot be found message when tryint to run crackmem. I have both updated versions so why wont it find my os?
    Do you have the OS installed as an application on your PC? It's not sufficient to download it; you have to double-click the downloaded file to install the OS on your PC.
    12-05-08 10:57 PM
1,625 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD