Could/Would Crackmem have removed spell check from my 8310-4.2 ?

If so do you know which module spell check removal was located in.
    My spell check seems to be AWOL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 02:08 PM
    go to options>spell check and make sure it's enabled. No CrackMem would not have removed it. If you recently did an os update the default is off.
    10-30-08 02:27 PM
    Hmm no OS update yet. The app.spell check Is not in options either. The file I used to free up some memory was Maxmem.
    I wonder what went ascew.I hope a restore from backup will repair it.

10-30-08 02:52 PM
    Just to be clear, MaxMem and CrackMem are two completely separate, unrelated products.
    10-30-08 02:59 PM
    10-4. I understand that now. looks like I somehow selected Maxmem. It was a redirect from another site. (berrycoder). I typicaly read directions very well but do not recall spellcheck being part of the equation.

10-30-08 03:17 PM
    The CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig offers a safer way of freeing up memory. With it, you move files to another folder, out of the OS install path. That way they're easily available if you find you need to put one back. CrackMem works the same way, and in fact is pointed to in the procedure.
    10-30-08 03:25 PM
    10-4. I understand that now. looks like I somehow selected Maxmem. It was a redirect from another site. (berrycoder). I typicaly read directions very well but do not recall spellcheck being part of the equation.

10-30-08 03:44 PM
    Mr. President, is that you?
    10-30-08 03:55 PM
    Mr. President, is that you?
    fat fingers on a tiny keypad
    10-30-08 08:51 PM
    Urg! I also just used maxmem and I no longer have spell check either! How do I get it back? It is not listed under options>spell check I tried application loader and couldn't find anything. I also restored using a back up from last week, no luck!
    11-16-08 12:45 AM
    One of the reasons that I wrote CrackMem was because of the way that I percieved that MaxMem works. I find that the requirement that CrackMem imposes of having a full Operating System on your PC that acts as a Backup resource. MaxMem does not do this and once a module is deleted from your phone, it is gone, gone, gone.

Later I wrote CrackUtil which will remove any file from your phone. Provided you have a PC then you can now fully manage your phone's memory and its files from your PC. If the current OS is intstalled there, you also have a full way back again.

In your case where you have deleted your spell checker, you need to find and locate the correct OS for your phone and install it on your PC. You will also need Desktop Manager instlled. Finally if you also download and install Crackmem too then you have considerable flexibility in managing your device.

Once all this is done, you may run CrackMem to remove any modules that you do not wish installed. Now connect your phone and run Desktop Manager and it + the OS will re-instate the missing files on your phone.
    11-16-08 09:26 AM
    Thanks Pete6. I wiped my device last night and re-loaded my OS. I was still having troubles with it running 4.5, my address book wouldn't keep contacts. So I wiped it again and downgraded to 4.2. I am downloading 4.5 for t-mobile now and will upgrade it later today. I got the link to use maxmem from the optimization thread, not a good program in my opinion!

Also some other problems I noticed after using maxmem was the phone wouldn't vibrate, I lost all of my contacts, and the phone was soo dim, I could hardly see it. Even after I restored it, I couldn't keep any of my contacts.
    Last edited by perkyaim99; 11-16-08 at 12:56 PM.
    11-16-08 12:50 PM
    The big advantage of MaxMem is that it works directly on the phone but this is also its achillies heel in as much as it has no place to store removed files. This is not the program's fault per se. Rather it has to do with the environment in which it is forced to run - the phone itself.

I tried MaxMem at about the same time that I had Crackmem v1.0 (at that time it too was called MaxMem) running. I decided that imo the philosophy behind the program was different from my own and I went off to write Crackmem. What I wanted all along was never to permanently delete a file. I wanted the PutItBack button (essential while I was testing) too.

Essentially Crackmem and all my Crack programs are support tools that allow expereinced user to help other users who are trying to perform upgrades or have busted phones. Obviously we can all have fun with them too. Simple really.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-16-08 at 01:18 PM.
    11-16-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD