I really dont understand why we get nearly a GB of device memory, when we get a free 8GB card with our phone? You think RIM could change something in the software to make it so we could use the device memory for apps and such instead of app memory.
    04-03-09 09:16 AM
    I really dont understand why we get nearly a GB of device memory, when we get a free 8GB card with our phone? You think RIM could change something in the software to make it so we could use the device memory for apps and such instead of app memory.
    Some of us are hoping so!
    04-03-09 09:19 AM
    I more like most of us :P. Really hope RIM does take this into consideration if havent already and make it possible!

Some of us are hoping so!
    04-03-09 09:21 AM
    are there any technical limitations that would prevent us from doing so?
    04-03-09 09:53 AM
    Isn't there a program out there for the Storm that let you run apps from memory card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 10:32 AM
    ???? If there is wanna share? Lol

Isn't there a program out there for the Storm that let you run apps from memory card?

04-03-09 10:34 AM
    I'm no expert, but you might be mixing two things up. Think of it like a computer where you have a big hard drive to store all your programs and then you have say 4 gigs of RAM where the actual processsing takes place. You have the 1 gig internal storage on the Storm and the external card that Verizon included for storage, but then you have that small amount of system memory that is used to RUN the applications. Can it be done, probably. Is it easy, probably not. One can only hope
    04-03-09 10:36 AM

I believe it only lets you store apps you receive OTA on the card. Not run them
    04-03-09 10:38 AM
    pretty sure it's been brought up as something in future OS's.....I could be wrong and I'm not making any promises....but I'm pretty sure I've seen it posted here that it's at least been tossed around. I hope they do though if it's possible.
    04-03-09 10:44 AM
    Well, for starters, only Verizon customers got the 8GB memory card. Everyone else got a case.

Now, the real problem comes in that "app memory" ends up defining at least two different things. There's a storage element to it, and there's also a memory element to it. So, what you want to do is just split the storage aspect of it off, so that apps can be run from anywhere, but of course they would still need to use the memory aspect of app memory.

And there are no programs that let you run apps off of a memory card. There are a couple of apps that let you store the application INSTALLER on a memory card, but if you want to actually use the app, you have to install it into app memory like all the rest. So they're of limited use.
    04-03-09 10:47 AM
    sounds like a hardware thing. dont think you can split the mem like that. i hope im wrong but once a mem stick or chip(i assume the phone has a chip) is created the only way to change it is too change the actual chip itself to a newly programmed chip. i only say this cause if i want more mem on my pc i have to buy and add it. cant just screw with the mem. again i might be wrong but to do what i think is being asked here would involve a major hardware overhaul and i dont think RIM wants to foot the bill on worldwide mem upgrades. just my thought.
    04-03-09 10:55 AM
    Maybe this is why leaks have slowed down lol. JUST MAYBE a new OS will allow us to use apps off of a memory card. BUT that may confuse some people so they will have to release a "how to letter" when you get it... ha ha ha. I am totally kidding.
    04-03-09 10:57 AM
    Well, for starters, only Verizon customers got the 8GB memory card. Everyone else got a case.

Now, the real problem comes in that "app memory" ends up defining at least two different things. There's a storage element to it, and there's also a memory element to it. So, what you want to do is just split the storage aspect of it off, so that apps can be run from anywhere, but of course they would still need to use the memory aspect of app memory.

And there are no programs that let you run apps off of a memory card. There are a couple of apps that let you store the application INSTALLER on a memory card, but if you want to actually use the app, you have to install it into app memory like all the rest. So they're of limited use.
    Bell Canada also gave out the 8gb card as well.

The whole storage/memory thing makes me wonder why they didn't give the whole 1gb for app memory or go 512mb and 512mb because the whole OS itself whether I'm running a program or not is subtracting off the 128mb allowed. I.E. I'm not using the calculator but I'm pretty sure it's still using app. memory same as any 3rd party program.
    If the OS was actually using the other 879mb and left the 128mb for 'user' 3rd party apps it would be much more useful.
    If the other 879mb or whatever it is, is only used for storage of music or pictures then RIM needs to change their philosophy on how they do things. Nowadays 879mb is nothing when I need to store music/video/pictures etc. I don't think I've ever seen that below 870mb on my device.
    04-03-09 11:33 AM
    I am completely content giving RIM a little extra time if they are solving the internal memory problem. It seems like a virtual memory feature would do the trick
    04-03-09 11:35 AM
    This would be great. I'm tired of looking at this 850+mb just sitting here collecting dust on my storm.
    04-03-09 12:13 PM
    Bell Canada also gave out the 8gb card as well.
    I stand corrected.

The whole storage/memory thing makes me wonder why they didn't give the whole 1gb for app memory or go 512mb and 512mb because the whole OS itself whether I'm running a program or not is subtracting off the 128mb allowed.
    Cost is almost certainly the reason.

I.E. I'm not using the calculator but I'm pretty sure it's still using app. memory same as any 3rd party program.
    If the OS was actually using the other 879mb and left the 128mb for 'user' 3rd party apps it would be much more useful.
    If the other 879mb or whatever it is, is only used for storage of music or pictures then RIM needs to change their philosophy on how they do things. Nowadays 879mb is nothing when I need to store music/video/pictures etc. I don't think I've ever seen that below 870mb on my device.
    That's true, but I think someone put it pretty well in some other thread when they said that the BB platform is far more utilitarian compared to a lot of other phones. It's more function over form, where most other devices are the other way around. Maybe that's because with only 128MB of app memory, it's forced people to be a lot more clever with their programming. Kind of like how in the 8/16-bit game console days, when sounds had to be synthesized and you had a limited number of voices the system could process at a time... It forced game music composers to be a bit more creative in a sense.

We can go back and forth all day about what RIM should do, but at the end of the day none of us are even remotely qualified to speculate on such a thing. I think there are a number of looming issues for RIM, and sooner or later they will have to address them. I know that even though they've been enjoying some strong sales lately, even despite the global recession, they are likely planning to just sit on that money to try and ride out the current situation. Once things turn a corner, I would hope that they have a plan in place to scrap the current BB OS, or at least give it a massive overhaul. Yes, we're stuck with the Baby Boomer generation a bit longer due to a lot of people's retirement funds going poof, but they won't be around forever, and it's time to embrace the younger generations who have a different set of values.

I get why they opted not to give the Storm a whole new OS, and while the geeky side of me is a bit disappointed, the business trained side of me thinks it was a smart move. At the same time, the software developer in me can see signs that they seem to be hitting a number of technical walls with the current BB OS code base. That side of me is also impressed they've managed to keep it going as long as they have. But that same side of me also has a pretty good idea the amount of time and effort writing a new OS would be. Even if you have all this experience in developing an embedded OS, so it's not a complete "from scratch" prospect, it still will take a lot of time and effort... And of course you can't just leave existing systems to rot while you work on the new one. There's also the cost involved with paying developers, building a whole new tool chain, developing a new set of tests for the testers to run... And then where exactly do you draw the line on device support? No matter what you do, you're likely going to upset some people.

I still think RIM should just create a second brand. Blackberry remains what it has always been known for. The new brand, whatever you want to call it, caters to the average cell phone user, and not just the business person on the go. The consumer line would be updated much more frequently compared to the BB line, I'd say a minimum of 2 OS updates a year, but one per quarter would be better. Smaller updates, released at a faster pace, so that it's easier for RIM to change direction when fads change.

This also has the benefit of protecting the Blackberry brand from any fallout over dissatisfaction with any given device on the consumer side. The Blackberry brand name is probably RIM's single greatest asset.

Anyway... This is getting way off topic, so... Let's just say that long term there are a lot of things RIM is likely looking at doing, or should be if their not. In the short term, I highly doubt we'll ever see the Storm updated to support more than 128MB of app memory. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on this one, but I doubt I will be. I think the best we can hope for is that the Storm serves as a watershed device, since it appeals more to the average consumer and coincided largely with App World. It might just be that RIM won't be able to ignore consumer demand for more app memory any longer, and devices still in the pipeline will be retrofitted in some way, and those still in the planning stages are sure to incorporate this change.
    04-03-09 12:14 PM
    I am completely content giving RIM a little extra time if they are solving the internal memory problem. It seems like a virtual memory feature would do the trick
    That really wouldn't work so well. The internal storage on the Storm is flash memory. Flash cells only last for so many writes before they wear out. Some kind of virtual memory thing would chew through those write cycles in no time. It works on computers, because the metal platters on a HDD can essentially be magnetized an infinite number of times.
    04-03-09 12:17 PM
    Maybe this is why leaks have slowed down lol. JUST MAYBE a new OS will allow us to use apps off of a memory card. BUT that may confuse some people so they will have to release a "how to letter" when you get it... ha ha ha. I am totally kidding.
    my homie at VZW blew the janitor to give him a copy of the how to letter... lmfao! jk guys, sorry, it's becoming a running joke of this site...
    04-03-09 01:36 PM
    sounds like a hardware thing. dont think you can split the mem like that. i hope im wrong but once a mem stick or chip(i assume the phone has a chip) is created the only way to change it is too change the actual chip itself to a newly programmed chip. i only say this cause if i want more mem on my pc i have to buy and add it. cant just screw with the mem. again i might be wrong but to do what i think is being asked here would involve a major hardware overhaul and i dont think RIM wants to foot the bill on worldwide mem upgrades. just my thought.
    Not necessarily... They already partitioned the 1GB internal memory to include 128MB of device memory. This is a logical partition similar to partitioning a hard drive on a computer.

In theory, they could allow the OS to use more than 128MB and repartition the internal memory with a larger portion given to OS and application memory. But this is just speculation, of course.
    04-03-09 02:27 PM
    Not necessarily... They already partitioned the 1GB internal memory to include 128MB of device memory. This is a logical partition similar to partitioning a hard drive on a computer.

In theory, they could allow the OS to use more than 128MB and repartition the internal memory with a larger portion given to OS and application memory. But this is just speculation, of course.
    Couldnt someone find a way to partition it to a different size?

04-03-09 02:29 PM
    All the Storm needs is for RIM is to put the necessary software update in place and it will be possible.
    04-03-09 02:30 PM
    All the Storm needs is for RIM is to put the necessary software update in place and it will be possible.
    It should be just that simple...a software update to reallocate the 1GB memory that's already in there.
    04-03-09 02:33 PM
    To RIM's credit, they are probably already aware right now that the Storm has no immediate need for more, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the memory footprint for apps rise with newer and newer OS releases.
    04-03-09 02:34 PM
    The actual memory has been shown to be a one piece, as stated the memory is allocated based on partitions. I believe that it can be changed via a firmware update. Not sure if RIM will be making this happen till at least OS 5.0 builds. The app store was the best thing to happen to RIM because now they have to content with the IPHONE and the fact that you can load at least 8gbs of apps on it.. Once they get enough complaints about lack of memory for apps from the consumer market they are focusing on, then I am sure we will see a solution soon...
    04-03-09 02:39 PM
    I guess that would make alot of sense...even for Curve users lol...
    04-03-09 02:54 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD