I've always used Outlook on my work PC for contacts and calendar. Currently, I sync my Storm to Outlook, and 90% of the time it goes well, though the 10% that it doesn't can reak serious havoc on my business...like when all your appointments vanish after syncing...ha, ha, ha...that's always a fun day!

I know that a lot of people here use Google Sync and I was wondering what your experience has been with it in regards to the Storm and syncing? Also, if you switched form Outlook to Google Sync, do you no longer use Outlook at all for contact and calendar info, or can you still use it on the PC and have both the PC and the BB constantly sync to Google?

Thanks for the help.
    07-21-09 02:15 PM
    I use Google Sync on my Bold and I couldn't be happier. Ig you don't already use Google Calendar, Google Contacts, etc. It can be a pain to set it up, but if you just sync everything you should be fine.
    07-21-09 02:25 PM
    I don't like the google only syncs to new stuff. all the stuff I have on it now won't go over. a Big pain!

-Evan
    07-21-09 02:29 PM
    At this point, I know nothing about Google Sync, but it seems like a major flaw if you can't do an initial sync to put all of your existing calendar/contact info from either your phone or from your Outlook pc into the Google Sync app. Are you sure that it can't be done?

Also...any other opinions as to using Google Sync in general?
    07-21-09 03:37 PM
    It's does Contacts. But NOT calendar. It even states it in the help section. I know a pain...

-e
    07-21-09 03:48 PM
    Just install Google sync on your work pc, and sync up to your Google account. Then, sync down to your BB. Real simple. That is what I did...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 03:50 PM
    Hey Goathog02,
    What do you mean?
    07-21-09 03:52 PM
    Any other Google Sync lovers/haters out there care to chime in?
    07-21-09 07:43 PM
    Hey Goathog02,
    What do you mean?
    Just what he said. Install the Google Sync client on the computer that has Outlook. Let it sync your outlook calendar to your google calendar.

Then, on the Blackberry, Google Sync will sync your calendar with your BB (which brings along the OUtlook entries that were synced by the computer).
    07-21-09 09:08 PM
    Just what he said. Install the Google Sync client on the computer that has Outlook. Let it sync your outlook calendar to your google calendar.

Then, on the Blackberry, Google Sync will sync your calendar with your BB (which brings along the OUtlook entries that were synced by the computer).
    This hasn't quite worked for me. I can get the Outlook calendar to sync to Google calendar, and I can get Outlook contacts to sync to Google contacts, from my computer.

But when I try to sync my Storm to Google, I can get my contacts, but the calendar sync always gives me an error. Can't get the calendar to work no matter what I try.
    07-21-09 10:04 PM
    For contacts and calendar ONLY, do I have to have a gmail email account to sync between the Outlook PC and BB? I'm asking because I don't want a gmail email account. I've got too many email accounts right now to keep up with.
    07-21-09 11:17 PM
    I just wiped my phone and re-synced, everything showed up, past items and new items. Don't know why people are having the problem. And I use outlook at work syncing with google and then gsync on my phone and everything works great.

Plus I can edit my calendar anywhere, very convenient.
    07-22-09 12:17 AM
    Can anyone that uses Google Syn tell me if I can do it without a gmail account? I've got too many email addresses as it is and I don't want another one.
    07-22-09 11:59 AM
    You need a Google account. Nobody's going to force you to use the Gmail account that comes with it, but you do need to sign up with Google - otherwise where are they going to store your calendar info that you're syncing?
    07-22-09 12:35 PM
    Google Sync never seemed to sync my contacts, but it always seemed to sync my calendars decently. I never used Outlook for same though.
    07-22-09 12:39 PM
    The way Google sync works is you install an app on your BlackBerry and on your Desktop (only if you want to sync your desktop outlook). The sync is then done perioticaly to the google server account.

I know that a lot of people here use Google Sync and I was wondering what your experience has been with it in regards to the Storm and syncing?
    I don't know if it's unique to me or not but I found that if I sync with Outlook I can no longer sync with Google Sync.

I do not use Google Sync, mainly because I heavily use the Task and Memo Pad features of Outlook and BlackBerry. Since Google does not sync these features it is not worth having another tool.

Can anyone that uses Google Syn tell me if I can do it without a gmail account? I've got too many email addresses as it is and I don't want another one.
    You need a gmail acount, but you don't have to use the mail it only really works as a database to store your contacts and calendar to one spot. The Desktop and BlackBerry Google Sync programs download the data to your BlackBerry and to your Outlook client.
    07-22-09 03:02 PM
    Wife has iphone, I have BB Bold. Looked for a simply way to sync both our calendars. Using Google calendar. Works good most of the time but for some unknown reason, when I enter Birthday on Google calendar, they do not show up on my BB Bold.
    I deleted the Birthday on Google calendar, reentered the birthdays and still will not sync (show up on my Bold).
    Any ideas?
    07-26-09 04:45 AM
    I never used Outlook w/my storm, but I use iCal on my Mac, and I also use Google Sync.
    07-26-09 06:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD