I decided to do a quick snapshot of my last app (native or otherwise) usage on my phone:

Only half were 3rd party apps (well, I just used the photobucket app to upload the pic lol). However, I realized that I use the widgets attached to apps (again, native or otherwise) a lot, lot more. For example, when I accessed my calendar I did so through the widget. When I listen to music I control the players via the widgets. I view my weather and color note widgets often.

My app usage also varies quite a bit. For example, I pretty much only use my Sound Hound app on Wednesdays and Saturdays during spin class (my instructor has a great taste in music). I only use my TripIt app when I'm going on vacation and that's only a couple times a year, but it's hella handy when I need it. I agree completely w/ trelawrence, it's better to have access to what you need even if you don't take advantage of it that much.
    02-01-12 09:44 AM
    I agree completely w/ trelawrence, it's better to have access to what you need even if you don't take advantage of it that much.
    Exactly! Since after being stuck on in pitch black subway car on 9-11, I carry a small flashlight with me EVERYWHERE.

Havent used it ONCE but carrying it around hasn't had a negative impact on my life either.

"You don't need an app. Use your browser."

Why type in all that stuff when I can just press my app?

The way some posters here think, or at least seem to, why use your their TV's remote control when you can just get up to flip channels or turn it off and on.

And re: cross platform apps? I use Kindle for Apple and Android. I purchase a book in the Amazon store and when I syncs my devices my purchase is there on both devices. Allowing mt to read my book from whichever device I choose.

Same with Netflix. I'm using it on my iPad in one room, my little brother using it on his PS3 or XBox 360 in another room, my wife using it in another room on her GS II all at the same time. And all for the same $8 a month.

Some don't gasp the Philosophy of CHOICE and how it might mean more to others than it does to them.

Cheers!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-01-12 10:33 AM
    I rarely use some of my apps as well..

Google maps I only use when I'm lost
    Southwest I only use when I fly Southwest
    Netflix I only use when I have time to kill before a meeting
    Fed Ex I only use when I am receiving a package
    Amazon, ebay, I only use when I'm shopping..

etc. etc.

For the most part those apps get ignored, but when I need to use em, I know they're there and they work.
    02-01-12 10:48 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD