I know Blackstar has one, but I want a simple compass app that is visually pleasing like the Iphone app. Anyone know of one or are there any takers who want to take this on? There would be quite the demand for one if affordable.
    Thanks
    05-31-09 04:14 PM
    +1 with Marcus!
    05-31-09 04:45 PM
    I agree that a simple compass like the one for the iphone would be a good idea. I also think that there would be a good number of people willing to have it after looking at the number of threads in the past month about it. I may not use it much but it would be nice to have one available if I ever need it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ip...ss-app-204184/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/i-...-woods-182386/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ap...ompass-210013/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ap...ompass-230428/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ap...ompass-217853/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 04:46 PM
    Please make this !!

05-31-09 05:12 PM
    gpslogger has a compass mode
    05-31-09 05:42 PM
    +1 for GPSlogger. Look for it under the GPS forum for downloading. It's a pretty slick free app.
    05-31-09 07:22 PM
    We have a compass in the works for the Storm. Part of our compass configuration and initialization involves capturing 2 different GPS points before we can establish North. The unit, therefore, must be moving...

It seems that some might think this kind of development is a bit frivolous and that perhaps our efforts would be better spent on more...ummm...'productive' pursuits. To that I say: Oh, well. For us, it's fun.
    07-10-09 09:49 AM
    I too would love this app... I do allot of hiking and camping, so I am used to a real compass (of which nothing will ever take it's place) but this would be loads of fun especially on day hikes and the like.

Yeah, count me in.
    07-10-09 09:55 AM
    We have a compass in the works for the Storm. Part of our compass configuration and initialization involves capturing 2 different GPS points before we can establish North. The unit, therefore, must be moving...

It seems that some might think this kind of development is a bit frivolous and that perhaps our efforts would be better spent on more...ummm...'productive' pursuits. To that I say: Oh, well. For us, it's fun.

LOL... to **** with what people say or think... sometimes the most "frivolous" things are the most satisfying and best.

I will be waiting in line for this one for sure!

OH! and if you need any beta testers, I would love to help out... I don't know anything about program writing, but I can use the **** out of a compass.
    07-10-09 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the offer
    I've posted a screenshot on our 'Coming Soon' page under BlackBerry Apps at blueinc.ca. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by blueinc; 07-10-09 at 12:10 PM.
    07-10-09 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the offer
    I've posted a screenshot on our 'Coming Soon' page under BlackBerry Apps at blueinc.ca. Let me know what you think!
    looks really good
    07-10-09 12:26 PM
    Thanks for the offer
    I like it too. Hopefully, you can include an option to use deg/min/sec or decimal latitude and longitude.
    07-10-09 04:47 PM
    Yes, we've built in a converter so that when you click on the Lat-Long text (well, essentially the lower half of the compass face), the text cycles through three conversions:
    - from Decimal Degrees (D.D�) to Decimal Minutes (D� M.M')
    - from Decimal Minutes (D� M.M') to Degrees Minutes Seconds (D� M' S")
    - from Degrees Minutes Seconds (D� M' S") to Decimal Degrees (D.D�)
    Clicking on the top half does something similar to the Heading text.

Good suggestion
    07-10-09 05:08 PM
    DAMN that looks SICK! will we have the option to change the look of it? or will it always have that "ancient Mariner" style to it?

Also how much "approximately" are we looking at?
    07-10-09 05:41 PM
    Very nice looking compass!
    07-10-09 06:04 PM
    Sure: we were discussing this on another thread earlier today:
    The short answer: Yes.
    The long answer: The app will have the ability to pick from a multitude of backgrounds (similar to our Storm MultiClock <-- cheap plug ). Once the base edition is launched, we'll start building the various background choices. I'll consider this one a specific request!
    -- B
    07-10-09 06:05 PM
    Pricing...hmm...
    Not one to be shy about answering a question with a question, I'll say:
    I'm curious: how much would you pay? Honestly: I'm wondering what our pricing points should be and am looking for some honest feedback.

(How's that for a dodge...?)
    TIA
    07-10-09 06:18 PM
    2.99 normal with a first week signup of .99
    07-10-09 06:24 PM
    $2-$3 - Most users will not think twice about anything in this range. They will also not feel "bad" if it ends up being something they do not want/need/use

$5-$8 - Much more discriminating and buyers remorse is much more likely.

$10 and up - you will never hear the end of the whiners!
    07-10-09 07:39 PM
    MHO .99 and people will buy it just to have it.

07-10-09 07:56 PM
    I agree, $.99-2.99 max. I understand the work that must go into it, but its a compass. I cant see people paying much more then that for it to be honest. Looks great btw
    07-10-09 08:25 PM
    The new version of GPSed by SHAPE Services has a real cool compass.

Its free, will draw a map of where you have been.

Tells you current speed
    Distance traveled
    Top speed
    Avereage Speed
    Lat/Long
    Altitude

Many other cool features
    07-10-09 08:43 PM
    Blueinc, please post it here when the app is available. I would like to try it. It will be nice to teach the boys orienteering using my BlackBerry Storm for a change

You do not want to charge more than $2.00. That is pretty much the threshold or people will hesitate to buy. The reason why AppStore is so successful is because most of their apps are priced at $0.99. People don't have to think twice on a $0.99 purchase. They don't care if they need it or not. It might sounds too cheap, but if you sell a million of them, that is a million dollar there!
    07-10-09 09:59 PM
    i think the blackberry app world has 2.99 as a starting point. One reason i like mobihand/crackberry store much better
    07-10-09 10:13 PM
    2.99 normal with a first week signup of .99
    I agree with this pricing.
    07-10-09 10:14 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD