With a desktop computer at work, a laptop at home, a BB 9780 and a PlayBook, I'm finally feeling the need to have some form of cloud storage of certain files.

I've been using DropBox on my office and work machines for a while, and there is a PlayBook program called "BlueBox" that works pretty well. The BB DropBox client, however, leaves something to be desired. For example, you can use it to view photos in the DropBox folders, but you can't download them to the BB! Incredibly, you have to "share" them and email a link to yourself. I also find that uploading a photo from the BB to DropBox doesn't work. It tells me a can choose a photo from the Gallery to upload, but when I attempt to do so, it fails; the gallery options just disappear. Finally, and also incredibly, you can't use the app to upload anything other than photos! You can delete files in the app, but you can't move them around from one folder to another.

The file manager app FileScout doesn't allow DropBox folders to be browsed, but it does allow files to be sent to and received from DropBox. So, used in conjunction with the DropBox app, it's possible to have reasonable functionality. But I shouldn't really need two apps to do it.

SugarSync, with 5 GB of free storage, compared to DropBox's 2 GB, doesn't have a PlayBook app, but you can use the browser. The BB app seems to use a lot of resources. It's pretty slow-moving. You can, in principle, view photos in the app's viewer, but once again you can't download them. Not only that, but the download to the viewer fails quite often. If you want to look at a PDF, you can't download it and view it in Repligo; you must use the SugarSync viewer, and I've yet to get a PDF to show up in it. They all fail before completion. You also can't use the app to delete files or move them around in DropBox folders.

I think I know what the answer will be, but I have to ask: Are the Android and iOS versions of these apps as lame?
    08-22-11 01:28 PM
    Sugar sync have upped the game with their new BB version - Allowing auto sync and offline file management.

worth another look

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...paign=referral
    08-22-11 05:04 PM
    Sugar sync have upped the game with their new BB version - Allowing auto sync and offline file management.

worth another look

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...paign=referral
    The new version is the one I have installed, with the problems I described. It just doesn't work well on my 9780 at the moment. Maybe an update is coming that will really up the game.
    08-22-11 05:15 PM
    I use and like Amazon's cloud service for my PB
    08-22-11 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD