Hi All! I just got my 8330 the other day and I love it! The only problem that I had was a very short battery life. I now understand that I have to make sure that I'm closing out of the apps rather than just using the red button to back out of them. Is that right?

Also, is there any way to see what apps are running on the phone at any given time to check if I've inadvertently left anything running?

Finally, is there a quicker way to close apps than going to menu and scrolling to the bottom and pressing close? Any keyboard shortcuts for that? I read the keyboard shortcuts post and they said to do shift and back, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks!

Nicole
    09-02-09 08:37 PM
    Press and hold the Alt key then press the back button. The app switcher will pop up and you can see what apps are running. Make sure you keep the Alt key held in while you scroll between apps. When you have an app highlighted releasing Alt will cause the app to open. Remember that there are five apps that will always be open; Phone, Messages, Browser, BBM, and Homescreen.

A shortcut for closing apps would be the back key. You could also open the menu and then press "C" to close opposed to scrolling to the bottom of the list. However, there are some apps that you have to use Menu > Close or Menu > Exit with. The only sure way to figure out whether you have to or not is to press the back key, then open the app switcher. If the app is still in the list the only way to close it is through Menu > Close/Exit (unless it is an application that you have set to run in the background at all times.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 09-02-09 at 08:59 PM.
    09-02-09 08:47 PM
    To close them properly, yes you do have to go Menu-close or menu-exit.

However, sometimes you can use the back button to speed that up.
    Let's say you want to look at your pictures. You would go Media-Pictures-My pictures.
    That was 3 steps forward. To exit, press back twice. You would now be back at the media main menu. NOW you use the Menu exit.
    That is faster than pressing menu-exit 3 times. Get it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 08:54 PM
    I strongly suggest using the BB Menu then Close or Exit on your apps...my hubby is constantly draining his battery by not closing them properly. Especially the Sprint apps, like Sprint TV, NASCAR, NFL, etc...they just keep going like the Energizer Bunny on your phone if not closed completely. Someday he'll get it.
    09-02-09 09:01 PM
    Hi Nicole and welcome to Crackberry

On your question about to see which apps are open, you can press and hold the "ALT" along with the "Escape" key to see all the apps open. Use the trackball to scroll through them. You can release the "Escape" once you have the app bar open and then change to the app you want by releasing the "ALT" Key.

You can also scroll to the bottom of the Menu and select "Switch Application" This too will open the Application Bar.

There are always 5 apps open for the Blackberry, besides the ones you have installed and are running in the background. The default 5 are the Browser, Phone, BB Messenger, the Home Screen, and Messages.

As for closing the apps, I am still pretty new myself and have only found the Menu Key and scroll to the Exit or Close selection. Sorry couldn't add any more to that.

One thing that you may consider is the Application, Quick Pull. It simulates a Battery Pull, which clears all running programs and frees up the memory. There is a Free version that works great.

Or you could do an actual Battery Pull while the phone is power on and will clear all the apps and memory.

EDIT: Dang must be a slow typer. By the time I finished typing and posted my response, there were 3 replies. Doh, Sorry about that.
    Hope this helps and again welcome to the group...
    Last edited by freeop; 09-02-09 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Others answering this topic
    09-02-09 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the info guys and gals! The phone rep told me to check out this site and he was right! He said that the info out there for BlackBerries is overwhelming.

I did see the Quick Pull app, but couldn't figure out why on earth one would need to take the battery out of the phone! Guess now I know

Off to try to learn more about my new toy..........
    09-02-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD