I downloaded opera mini and loved it. I deleted it after using for 52 min. to make sure it was completely free. I got charged for those minutes from vzw. I am new so can anybody tell me why and what I did wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 08:28 AM
    That is odd. Did they charge you airtime minutes, as if you were on a voice call? What sort of data plan do you have? I would think that data usage would show up as bytes/KB/MB/GB used instead of as minutes, but I've never gone over.

Nobody else is getting charged by the minute for using Opera, so my guess is that the vzw charge wasn't for downloading or using Opera Mini, but was for something else.
    06-27-10 08:34 AM
    If you have a data plan then it should show as data usage as stated above. If you opted for "per use" data, then yeas its going to show the usage.

Interesting. I'd be curious to the wireless bill on this one.
    06-27-10 09:56 AM
    I've never heard of data charged per minute. Data is charged at a set rate per megabyte when billed "per use" which should not be available to Verizon customers since a blackberry data plan is mandatory and includes unlimited data.

Is it possible that your phone roamed on voice calls?

06-27-10 10:49 AM
    I guess everybody is right. Cause I really like opera mini. Thank you for replies.

06-30-10 05:10 PM
    I used to be charged for data by the minute before I got a blackberry.... I been with VZW for about 9 years though so I go some old style billing that they don't offer anymore. I had one of the first BREW (VZW branded it "Get it Now" I think...) phones VZW had....some Kyocera thing...all my mobile web and BREW downloads would count as minutes that came out of my single pool that my voice minutes came out of. It would show seperate on my bill but come out of my same minutes, I also had unlimited data on nights and weekends because of this....This remained the case over several different phones I had...the last being the LGVX9400 right before I got the Storm.
    06-30-10 06:14 PM
    There used to be a VZW rate plan called "America Choice", on which data usage was billed by the minute rather than KB. This meant that if you had free offpeak/weekends, that your data usage was free during those times! This rate plan has long since been obsoleted by rate plans that charge data by the KB.

But I think the (non-tethering) Blackberry data plans have always been flat rate/unlimited.
    07-31-10 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD