I was able to use 3jam threaded sms almost as native sms. I firewalled sms and saw that I was able to receive sms messages thru 3jam. The I set left convience key to 3jam. Almost perfect but missing very important element. No tone. 3jam will pop up to notify of message but no sound cause native sms was firewalled. 3jam does not have its own profile sound. Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 06:38 AM
    it is beyond me why 3jam doesn't have its own profile sounds.. this is also an issue for BBText2IM (it has them but they don't work). IMO, the alerts are the most important thing. They're necessary if you want your app to replace the native SMS app. It's like building a fortress and forgetting to put on the front door. I don't think it'd be that difficult to do either. I have attempted to contact both the developers of 3Jam and BBText2IM about this issue and have not heard a response from either. Maybe someone is going to have to develop a 3rd app and do the alerts right.
    05-19-09 06:37 PM
    I was able to use 3jam threaded sms almost as native sms. I firewalled sms and saw that I was able to receive sms messages thru 3jam. The I set left convience key to 3jam. Almost perfect but missing very important element. No tone. 3jam will pop up to notify of message but no sound cause native sms was firewalled. 3jam does not have its own profile sound. Any suggestions?

How did you "firewall" the native sms app?
    That information would give me the motivation to put some serious hours into BBText2IM and make it WAY better than it is now. I can make the sound profile work for BBText2IM (it was in an older OS, but somehow broken in the newer ones...fixable). The main complaint of my program is that the native box still receives incoming text messages.
    05-21-09 09:58 PM
    Hi all, per the great suggestions above, we've just released v1.101 of the 3jam Threaded SMS app, with a sound profile so there is now a workaround for the BlackBerry 3rd party API causing messages to appear in the native SMS Inbox as well.

To disable text messages from showing up in your native SMS inbox, go to Options->Security Options->Firewall-> and check the SMS box, then select "Enable". You can then set your alert for incoming 3jam SMS messages in your sound profile.

Enjoy!!!

Enlai

PS If you like the app, please put in a positive review for us on the BlackBerry App World app portal. Thanks!
    06-16-09 11:56 PM
    BTW, current registered owners can upgrade for free. Download the latest version at at 3jam
    06-16-09 11:57 PM
    How did you "firewall" the native sms app?
    That information would give me the motivation to put some serious hours into BBText2IM and make it WAY better than it is now. I can make the sound profile work for BBText2IM (it was in an older OS, but somehow broken in the newer ones...fixable). The main complaint of my program is that the native box still receives incoming text messages.
    Did u ever find out how to firewall?

06-17-09 12:17 PM
    The trial versions don't work... As soon as I downloaded it... I was told my trial had ended. Wtf?

The 7 day trial ended in 5 minutes...

06-17-09 02:52 PM
    U must have at some point downloaded 3jam. That sucks u can't try,but I can tell u that if ur a big texter or just looking to fresh up sms, u can't go wrong. Comes with pop up notifier too

06-17-09 02:59 PM
    looks great. I am going to try it out now
    06-17-09 04:21 PM
    10,000 texts a month... I'm pretty intense. Lol.

So if I text my friend like 70 times in one day. Will the 70 texts still show as 70 separate texts in my inbox or will I just click on her name and the texts all show in one place.

And in my inbox.. If we text today... I'll have a thread, but when we text tomorrow... Will a new thread start because its a different day?

06-17-09 04:25 PM
    Suppose Cindy texted u on 5 different days. U would see Cindy name in inbox only once. Once opened u would are whole history of convo with date brakes. Btw I use left convenience key for 3jam for easy access to inbox

06-17-09 04:33 PM
    Sweet!!!! I'm buying it!!!

06-17-09 07:12 PM
    So is there anyway to make a notifier on the home screen? We got the native SMS notifier taken care of, but no notifier on the homescreen telling me if I have any texts now.. Not even a little red star on the 3jam icon. Anybody having the same thoughts as me?

06-17-09 08:30 PM
    I'd love to have this, but there's no way I'm paying $20 for it.

06-17-09 08:51 PM
    Thinks it 9dollars isn't it?

06-17-09 09:01 PM
    I'm not paying that much, either. I don't get why rim hasn't just taken care of this yet.

06-17-09 10:22 PM
    Hi all, per the great suggestions above, we've just released v1.101 of the 3jam Threaded SMS app, with a sound profile so there is now a workaround for the BlackBerry 3rd party API causing messages to appear in the native SMS Inbox as well.

To disable text messages from showing up in your native SMS inbox, go to Options->Security Options->Firewall-> and check the SMS box, then select "Enable". You can then set your alert for incoming 3jam SMS messages in your sound profile.

Enjoy!!!

Enlai

PS If you like the app, please put in a positive review for us on the BlackBerry App World app portal. Thanks!
    All that successfully did was left my led blinking like I had received a un opened message? It also caused choas with YouMail app not working and several other issues? Or am I a ***** and did something wrong?

Thanks,

Blaine
    06-18-09 02:03 AM
    Yea, my LED won't stop blinking after I get texts either. I had to instal LEDReset so I don't have to do a BP.

And I've email support about various things multiple times now, and haven't received 1 reply yet.
    06-18-09 10:05 AM
    there was a blog that said thread SMS will be in OS 5.0 whens its offically relased so i would hold of paying for it for now
    06-18-09 10:09 AM
    ^Yea, I paid for it Tues., and the news came out Wednesday, sadly. But I only paid $10, so not too awful.

But I do know that this customer support means I'm never buying from them again.
    06-18-09 10:22 AM
    What can I do to stop the led from blinking red! It's driving me crazy! Lol

06-19-09 11:15 AM
    EDIT: I take it back, the method below does not work.

^ I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out but all you have to do is turn off the LED alerts for SMS Text since 3jam now has it's own Options in Profiles.

Kind of a duh moment, I know. But I've not got all my SMS options in 3jam and have essentially turned the other off.

I can't wait for 5.0, though, because I have a feeling the native blackberry threaded SMS will be much better than 3jam is right now, minus maybe group texting. (But who knows?)
    Last edited by c0rinne; 06-21-09 at 07:20 PM.
    06-21-09 05:27 PM
    Yea, I'm going to wait it out also.

06-22-09 12:17 AM
    ETA: The price additions only apply for the blackberry app if you're using it to send group messages (something they did not add in the email I pasted below).

Posting this again because I posted in the wrong forum:

I want to advise about buying this app.

It works ok (although there are certain issues and I've never had any response from the admins when seeking help), but I just got an email this morning:

Dear Corinne,

We would like to thank you for being an active 3jam user and hope that you have enjoyed the text messaging service we have been providing you.

Unfortunately, due to the substantial cost that 3jam incurs for every text message, we are no longer able to offer unlimited free text messages to US phone numbers.

Beginning today, we will allow each 3jam user to send up to 40 free text messages to US phone numbers per month. If you require additional messages, we have several low cost plans available for purchase:

400 US Texts/month $5

1000 US Texts/month $10

Unlimited* US Texts/month $20

The message plans work just like many cell phone plans do. After your 40 free messages, you will be able to send up to the number of messages in your plan for a fixed low monthly fee. If you send a message to a group, one message will be deducted for each person in the group who receives your message. Learn more about text message plans and sign up today on the 3jam web site.

We wish that there was another way for us to provide unlimited free text messages, but the fees that 3jam has to pay for text message delivery make that impossible. However, with the convenience of group messaging and low cost to send messages, we hope we are providing you with a fun and valuable service to use!

Thank you for your continued support and please let us know if you have questions or comments.

Best,

The 3jam team
    I understand that they've got financial issues to consider, but I wanted to warn people before they purchase the app since I didn't see this notice when I checked on their website this morning.

If the cost is no issue, go ahead, but I personally am already paying extra for unlimited text from Tmo, so I have no desire to pay more just to text with a (mostly)threaded sms app.

And, had I known they would institute charges, I wouldn't have bought the app a month ago.

BBText2IM is apparently another option, but I'm just going to wait for 5.0.
    Last edited by c0rinne; 07-06-09 at 09:33 PM.
    07-06-09 05:14 PM
    ETA2:
    Corinne, you are correct. If you have the blackberry app and don't send group texts you don't need any plan.

I'm attempting to get clarification on this. It may not be completely terrible, but of course, they never mentioned what they'll be doing with the blackberry app.

If it's only for group texting that's fine because I've only group texted twice.

Change to 3jam pricing for US text messages

ETA: 15 days after I asked one of my questions, Support at 3Jam finally answered it.

They are not so good at customer support.
    Last edited by c0rinne; 07-06-09 at 09:32 PM.
    07-06-09 07:57 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD