Don't flame me... I really have searched, a lot...

I am 100% sure this has been answered before... but I spent the better part of an hour trying to find it through search and it just isn't happening. Most of the threads I find say something dumb like "Put the TalkLock-Background.png into the Home folder" etc... dumb vague things that I have tried, and they have failed.

Help?
    Last edited by elemeno0pee; 01-07-09 at 11:35 PM.
    01-07-09 11:09 PM
    Yes that is true that is all you need to do.

From there FAQ section on there website TalkLock™ (BETA) Touch Screen Lock for BlackBerry® Storm™

5: How do I customize the background image on the lock screen?

A: Obtain a PNG format image file of your desired background. The image should be 360 pixels wide and 480 pixels tall. Save this on the device in the home/user folder of Device Memory with the name TalkLock-Background.png. You must do a full reboot before the background to restart TalkLock with the new background.

Here are some step by step instructions I came up with real quick (hope they are helpful and not confusing)
    1. Go find whatever picture you want, take a simple backgound fiile that you would normally use for your background.
    2. Rename the file to "TalkLock-Background.png". You may need to make sure you unhide your extension names for known files so you can rename it properly. Once you delete the *.jpg part and name it to *.png it will say something like you sure you want to change this...blah blah blah and when you do will turn it into a white icon or something.
    3. Hook your BB up to your computer and make sure mass storage mode is enabled under options.
    4. When it comes up navigate to your home directory believe it is the user directory on the device (1GB) NOT the STORAGE CARD.
    5. Copy the "TalkLock-Background.png" that you just made right there in the home directory.
    6. Disconnect.
    7. Do a battery pull or reset,
    8. Upon reboot call from your home phone answer your BB and it should have a new background.

I took a file of mine that I used for a background wallpaper, renamed it to the above file name. Copied it over and it worked for me.

That is all. Not sure if that helps at all if not let me know and I will try again.
    01-07-09 11:40 PM
    Hmmmm... I tried this a few times and just NO luck for me... Thank you for copying and pasting from their site. I wish I realized they had a FAQ. I will try again now... maybe a battery pull will help me.

Thanks again

Edit --> WEELLLLLLL.... it worked this time. I guess I brain farted somewhere along the line and never actually put the PNG into the Home folder, even though that's what I intended to do. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by elemeno0pee; 01-07-09 at 11:48 PM.
    01-07-09 11:45 PM
    Yeah if you dont do a reset or battery pull it wont work. I tried it just to see and it did not work.
    I can send you my file I used once I get off work so you can copy it over and see if it works.
    Just do a reset and it should work, as long as you copied it to the correct directory you should be golden.
    Let me know if it works after the reset if not when I get a chance I can see what I can do to help walk you through it.
    01-07-09 11:47 PM
    The reason you need a reboot is because the app starts when the phone does and it probably caches the image in memory on start up rather than every time a call comes in.
    01-08-09 01:00 AM
    Hmmmm... I tried this a few times and just NO luck for me... Thank you for copying and pasting from their site. I wish I realized they had a FAQ. I will try again now... maybe a battery pull will help me.

Thanks again

Edit --> WEELLLLLLL.... it worked this time. I guess I brain farted somewhere along the line and never actually put the PNG into the Home folder, even though that's what I intended to do. Thanks for the help.
    Glad that it all worked out well for you in the end. Enjoy and have fun.
    01-08-09 03:19 AM
    If you don't disconnect the BB by going through the disconnect hardware dance the file or files transferred to it can be lost because they were buffered before being written to the phone memory.
    01-08-09 04:14 AM
    OK, now I have to admit to being a Bkackberry noob and a computer goof as well, but......what is a .png image? All my pics and images are JPEGs. Does it matter? Can I convert an image? Is there a place online where I can get .png images? Any guru out there care to explain in dumbed down plain English? lol
    01-15-09 12:30 AM
    OK, now I have to admit to being a Bkackberry noob and a computer goof as well, but......what is a .png image? All my pics and images are JPEGs. Does it matter? Can I convert an image? Is there a place online where I can get .png images? Any guru out there care to explain in dumbed down plain English? lol
    See my post above #2.

2. Rename the file to "TalkLock-Background.png". You may need to make sure you unhide your extension names for known files so you can rename it properly. Once you delete the *.jpg part and name it to *.png it will say something like you sure you want to change this...blah blah blah and when you do will turn it into a white icon or something.

All you have to do is take the JPEG file you already have and rename it. Get rid the *.jpg and replace it with *.png and there you have your PNG file.

Let me know if you have any issue doing this and I will see if I can help you out even more.
    01-15-09 12:42 AM
    Thanks JDK for the quick response and for the simplified anwer and kind tone. I've just done all the steps and am waiting for my Storm to reboot. (fingers crossed) I'll let you know how it goes!
    01-15-09 01:06 AM
    Well, I thought I had it all right on my 3rd try, but no dice. This might be over my head. Perhaps I'll just learn to like the stock TalkLock backgroud. LOL!
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by CamLynn; 01-15-09 at 11:24 AM.
    01-15-09 01:26 AM
    Got it done! So I'm not so stoopid after all! I was doing everything right except the battery pull. I have one of those rare Storms that has never required me to do a battery pull. So I didn't know I needed to keep the battery out for more than a few seconds. I was just popping it out and putting it back in. After I pulled the battery and waited a full minute before putting it back, it worked like a charm. Thanks JDKLuck!
    Last edited by CamLynn; 01-15-09 at 12:14 PM.
    01-15-09 11:25 AM
    I did it Twice The First Time It Just Went to it No Battery Pull but I Forgot to Resize Second Time I got it Perfectly after using Quickpull
    06-08-09 12:34 AM
    how do i unhide my extension files. please email me at xibitmagik@yahoo thanks alot.
    06-12-09 09:36 AM
    I did all those steps no problem, tried with a quickpull the first time and a regular battery pull the second time. Both times gave me the same result - TalkLock no longer works. When I go to 'switch application' it shows up, but if I click on it nothing happens. It does not come on when I make or receive a phone call. Any ideas?
    06-16-09 10:05 AM
    @xibit: email sent
    06-16-09 12:00 PM
    Hi,

I have followed all the directions below and still cannot get it to work. I have changed my picture to a png and made a folder under Device Memory named TalkLock_Background.png, taken the battery out and restarted the phone. Still not working, what am I doing wrong?

Susan

The phone is Blackberry Storm 9530
    Last edited by susant; 08-06-09 at 01:36 PM.
    08-06-09 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD