View Poll Results: Would you use Cardstar program?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would use this all the time

44 72.13%
  • I would use this when I remembered

10 16.39%
  • I don't use those store cards

4 6.56%
  • Who has time to pull out your phone and find the card?

3 4.92%
05-14-10 01:33 PM
69 123
tools
    i agree with the amout of space taken...it is just too large. Especially on a pearl.

So i ended up download the app, inputting all my cards & then i did a print screen of each barcode & saved them into a folder in my pictures. Then i deleted the application.

Now i have all my cards located in the top folder in my pictures available whenever i need them & i don't have that memory hogging app on my memory depleted pearl.

Best of both worlds for me!!
    fantastic idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-06-10 09:43 AM
    FYI, I saw a tweet from CardStar that said they are in the process of working on a slim version of the app for blackberry.

I will wait until then to try again (was getting the OS4.7 out of memory issue loading this app). For now, I may try taking pics of some of my cards and seeing if I can get them to scan. I had to go to Petco to get dog food soon. I'll try that.
    05-06-10 09:57 AM
    Here is a response from the folks at Cardstar that I received concerning some of the questions that have been asked here:
    Thank you for contacting CardStar about your inquiry.

1)Why can't the database be stored on the memory card instead of in the
    application memory?
    The card entries that you input are stored within your app. We do not externally export and store your card information anywhere. However, we are adding a feature shortly which will allow users to log in through the app and back up their card entries on a private external server. Only the user would be able to log in and then restore their card entries if they were ever lost or accidentally deleted. We are working on this for the next major update which should occur within the 2-3 months.

2) Why does CardStar remain open in the background when the end key is
    pressed?
    Thank you for this feedback and suggestion and we are working on a feature to improve this for our next update.

3) When clicking on a specific CardStar contact instead of having the barcode numbers only as the initial view, the barcode itself should be the initial view that comes up. The CardStar app for Blackberry is automatically set to default to not display a barcode for any merchant. This is because CardStar is not advertised as a scanning app, we are an app that is available for people to consolidate thier cards into one place. However, if you enter in your barcode digits correctly then you can select the Blackberry menu edit button and select "Show Barcode". Then you should see an exact barcode match to your card if input correctly.

PLEASE NOTE: We've tested CardStar for BlackBerry succesfully against imaging (CCD) scanning guns (sometimes called LED scanners). However, laser scanners and flat-bed scanners that you find at the grocery will probably not scan your phone due to technical limitations of the BlackBerry screen. Nevertheless, we are working on a number of ways to improve scanning success and we'll be introducing these improvements in forthcoming versions of CardStar for BlackBerry.
    In the event that a barcode does not scan, CardStar displays your number prominently, so that you or the cashier can enter the number by hand.

For more information about inquiries you may have with CardStar for Blackberry please check out our FAQ's section of our website (CardStar). Thank you again for your inquiry!
    05-06-10 10:47 AM
    Does any know if the barcodes will scan if your phone has Invisi-shield/Phantom Skinz or any other type of screen protector on it?
    05-06-10 10:49 AM
    I love how they didn't answer your question in #1:

1)Why can't the database be stored on the memory card instead of in the
    application memory?
    The card entries that you input are stored within your app. We do not externally export and store your card information anywhere. However, we are adding a feature shortly which will allow users to log in through the app and back up their card entries on a private external server. Only the user would be able to log in and then restore their card entries if they were ever lost or accidentally deleted. We are working on this for the next major update which should occur within the 2-3 months.
    05-06-10 10:59 AM
    I love how they didn't answer your question in #1
    Isn't that great I just sent them a question about entering in the barcode digits and screen protectors and here is the response that I received:

When entering in your barcode digits Be sure you are entering all the digits associated with your barcode, including any numbers in front of or after the barcode. Also, be sure to not include any spaces or dashes. Then you should get a barcode match. As for screen covers, we have a number of screen covers that we normally recommend for our iPhone users. However, out of these only some are available for Blackberry. We are still in the process of testing covers for BB in our lab. We should soon have a list of compatible covers for BB devices. Until then, I can tell you that the invisibleSHIELDS by Zagg.com are compatible and do not interfere with scanning. I personally use this model on my iPhone and know they offer the same covers for some BB devices. We will be testing within the next few weeks and have a list out shortly!

At least I can say that they are responsive.
    05-06-10 11:17 AM
    Hello everyone, Danny from CardStar here.

First, thanks to those of you have been patient with us as we try to answer your support emails and tweets. We are just beginning to go through forums as well to collect as much feedback as possible.

Second, we do recognize (quite clearly based on all the feedback) that our app design is too heavy for most BlackBerry users. We have been perhaps too focused on touch device development to realize that there is much sensitivity to the size and memory requirements of the app on lightweight devices.

Third, although we have development teams on each platform, our customer support is still very iPhone-centric. We are learning -- and I hope you help us learn --- more about what matters to BlackBerry users (external DB storage, key-shortcuts, permissions, etc.)

Our main focus right now is: 1) getting obvious bugs fixed, 2) reducing the physical size and memory requirements, 3) implementing specific changes for BlackBerry users, and 4) working on features we are launching across all platforms.

In short, we hear you and we'll try to respond in forums as best as we can. Still, customer support via email is the fastest way to get an answer.

Thanks!

Danny Espinoza
    CardStar, Inc.
    05-06-10 11:22 AM

First, thanks to those of you have been patient with us as we try to answer your support emails and tweets. We are just beginning to go through forums as well to collect as much feedback as possible.

Second, we do recognize (quite clearly based on all the feedback) that our app design is too heavy for most BlackBerry users. We have been perhaps too focused on touch device development to realize that there is much sensitivity to the size and memory requirements of the app on lightweight devices.

Third, although we have development teams on each platform, our customer support is still very iPhone-centric. We are learning -- and I hope you help us learn --- more about what matters to BlackBerry users (external DB storage, key-shortcuts, permissions, etc.)

Our main focus right now is: 1) getting obvious bugs fixed, 2) reducing the physical size and memory requirements, 3) implementing specific changes for BlackBerry users, and 4) working on features we are launching across all platforms.

In short, we hear you and we'll try to respond in forums as best as we can. Still, customer support via email is the fastest way to get an answer.

Thanks!

Danny Espinoza
    CardStar, Inc.
    Danny,

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum as it is appreciated! I look forward to seeing the future updates of CardStar
    05-06-10 11:37 AM

Thanks!

Danny Espinoza
    CardStar, Inc.
    Danny,

Thanks for checking out these forums. I suggested it to one of the rep's that emailed me back about my concerns. Do you have an estimated release date for when some of these changes will happen? It would be great if you were able to announce the release on these forums as well!

thanks,
    MORRY
    05-06-10 11:47 AM
    Do you have an estimated release date for when some of these changes will happen? It would be great if you were able to announce the release on these forums as well!
    Morry, our first bug fix release is available now. Downloading from the link on our site will install version 1.0.6.

The next release is in development right now. We're slimming down the app substantially by removing all logos and instead loading them remotely from our servers as cards are added. We're also adding backup and restore to/from the SD card in this next release thanks to feedback from BlackBerry users.

Thanks!
    05-11-10 09:53 AM
    Morry, our first bug fix release is available now. Downloading from the link on our site will install version 1.0.6.

The next release is in development right now. We're slimming down the app substantially by removing all logos and instead loading them remotely from our servers as cards are added. We're also adding backup and restore to/from the SD card in this next release thanks to feedback from BlackBerry users.

Thanks!
    very nice new tweaks/additions coming!! that'll be a big improvement. thanks!
    05-11-10 09:55 AM
    Fantastic news!!!!! Going to download now . What are the "bug fixes" in this release?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 09:57 AM
    Just updated.....and very happy to report that through the update, all of my cards that I had inputed with the old version are still there in the updated version!!!! Unfortunately that won't stand when upgrading an OS.....but glad the development team over at cardstar is working in the right direction!

05-11-10 10:20 AM
    First off, I applaud the company for posting in this thread!

I tried using this over the weekend at a hardware store and it wouldn't scan. But that's only one retailer out of a number of cards I have.

My only suggestion at this point will be to add a field in the card info section that you can input additional info in to. At the hardware store, the checkout clerk gave me 4 digit number that I can use at that store to access my card at check out. It would be cool to have a field to input that number in case I can't scan again in the future; and the clerk wouldn't have to input the long string of numbers under the barcode.

All in all though, a great app. I've told just about everyone I know with a BB or smartphone about it.
    05-11-10 11:56 AM
    First off, I applaud the company for posting in this thread!

I tried using this over the weekend at a hardware store and it wouldn't scan. But that's only one retailer out of a number of cards I have.

My only suggestion at this point will be to add a field in the card info section that you can input additional info in to. At the hardware store, the checkout clerk gave me 4 digit number that I can use at that store to access my card at check out. It would be cool to have a field to input that number in case I can't scan again in the future; and the clerk wouldn't have to input the long string of numbers under the barcode.

All in all though, a great app. I've told just about everyone I know with a BB or smartphone about it.

If you go into the card you want and go to edit then advanced, you can add the number at the end of the title, and then it will show up on the main menu. Example instead of just Petco, you can have Petco 1234
    05-11-10 02:58 PM
    well going to download the app right now and looking forward to use it
    05-12-10 03:05 AM
    If you go into the card you want and go to edit then advanced, you can add the number at the end of the title, and then it will show up on the main menu. Example instead of just Petco, you can have Petco 1234
    Excellent idea! I didn't even think of that. Thanks!
    05-12-10 07:15 AM
    If the app doesn't work on the flat scanner it is worthless. Most stores have the flat scanner. I would like to know if the iphone has the same problem?

05-13-10 04:02 PM
    If the app doesn't work on the flat scanner it is worthless. Most stores have the flat scanner. I would like to know if the iphone has the same problem?

hrm. ya i tried this on a flat scanner (the manually u-scan lines) at grocery store(Kroger). i tried it every possible way, and i couldn't get it to work either. oh well
    05-14-10 01:33 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD