View Poll Results: Would you use Cardstar program?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would use this all the time

44 72.13%
  • I would use this when I remembered

10 16.39%
  • I don't use those store cards

4 6.56%
  • Who has time to pull out your phone and find the card?

3 4.92%
    I have a 9550 with the .320 software. When I added the program it lagged for like 3 seconds, and then worked fine. I opened up the program and was able to add a card right away. All of my cards showed up, I haven't had to do a battery pull.

do you enter the Membership ID#? or the numbers below the barcode?

like my Best Buy card, has a membership ID# and a code underneath the barcode? which one do I type in??

Try putting in the number below the barcode and see if it looks the same. If it works stay on the barcode screen and then hit the blackberry button and go to edit, then hit the blackberry button again and go to advanced. You can add your member# to the title just in case they ever need it.
    05-04-10 02:05 PM
    In the advanced tab, what is "symbology"
    05-04-10 02:26 PM
    All of my bar codes show up. However, when comparing them to the original bar code on the physical card, it does not match the bar code displayed by CardStar.
    Mine looks pretty similar...from what I can tell at least. Some of my keyring cards have the shoter barcodes. In the app, they show up taller, kinda more UPC like.
    05-04-10 02:38 PM
    It changes the bar code style.
    05-04-10 03:03 PM

I think if you have a store card that is not listed you can enter the numbers, and then choose different symbology to match the barcode on your card. So if you have a card that is already listed like petco, shaws, etc, then just keep it on auto because it should already know the right symbols to use.
    05-04-10 03:06 PM
    I think if you have a store card that is not listed you can enter the numbers, and then choose different symbology to match the barcode on your card. So if you have a card that is already listed like petco, shaws, etc, then just keep it on auto because it should already know the right symbols to use.
    I have a card that's not in the list

How does one know what type barcode is on the card?
    05-04-10 03:24 PM
    scroll down to the bottom of the category the card should be in and choose other
    05-04-10 03:35 PM
    I have a card that's not in the list

How does one know what type barcode is on the card?
    This is from cardstar's website:

CardStar maintains an extensive list of merchants found in the United States, Canada, Australia, Asia, UK and more. However, if one of your cards is not currently listed just select the desired merchant category and then scroll to the bottom where you will see �Other�. Once you have selected �Other�, enter the merchant name and barcode numbers. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the �Advanced� option. There you will see the �Symbology� button. You can scroll through the symbologies trying one by one to see which one creates a barcode that creates an identical barcode match to the one on your card. If none of the symbologies create a barcode that is identical then send the request to [email protected] and we can try to help you figure it out.
    05-04-10 03:37 PM
    Is this for all blackberrys? I tried to download and it just saves a xjad file to my sd card. Any idea what to do from here? Thanks
    05-04-10 03:48 PM
    Is this for all blackberrys? I tried to download and it just saves a xjad file to my sd card. Any idea what to do from here? Thanks
    dunno try to visit this link on your blackberry
    http://m.metova.com/operations/rs/v3...r/download/rim
    (short (but same link)): http://is.gd/bU8Kd
    05-04-10 04:04 PM
    That does the same thing. The bottom link doesnt work from my phone.
    05-04-10 04:11 PM
    This is from cardstar's website:

CardStar maintains an extensive list of merchants found in the United States, Canada, Australia, Asia, UK and more. However, if one of your cards is not currently listed just select the desired merchant category and then scroll to the bottom where you will see �Other�. Once you have selected �Other�, enter the merchant name and barcode numbers. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the �Advanced� option. There you will see the �Symbology� button. You can scroll through the symbologies trying one by one to see which one creates a barcode that creates an identical barcode match to the one on your card. If none of the symbologies create a barcode that is identical then send the request to [email protected] and we can try to help you figure it out.

Thank you for taking the time, I think I found what Symbology I needed.
    05-04-10 04:29 PM
    I guess I should try reading better. I usually go on crackberry thru bolt but it says download thru your native browser. Its downloading now. Only time will tell.
    05-04-10 05:32 PM
    anyone have any luck scanning the barcode? the local Best Buy near me I went to today couldnt scan my phone with the barcode on my phone. they had to enter it manually into there computer, plus the cashier rolled his eyes thinking I was a crazy man asking him to scan my barcode on the phone lol
    05-04-10 06:44 PM
    anyone have any luck scanning the barcode? the local Best Buy near me I went to today couldnt scan my phone with the barcode on my phone. they had to enter it manually into there computer, plus the cashier rolled his eyes thinking I was a crazy man asking him to scan my barcode on the phone lol
    I too am curious if someone got it to work- I tried it at planet fitness tonight and it did not work...
    05-04-10 06:52 PM
    No go at Borders either
    05-04-10 09:13 PM
    No go at Borders either
    lol whats the point of this app if no one can scan anything? lol did you get some weird looks too when you whipped your phone out and told them to scan it? lol I did, they thought I was nuts
    05-05-10 08:01 AM
    I tried the app last night at ACE Hardware, didn't work. Has it worked for anyone ?
    05-05-10 08:24 AM
    Takes up WAY too much memory. Great app in concept, but poorly executed. Deleting and waiting for update.
    05-05-10 09:11 AM
    I installed this on my 9700 with a Best Skin Ever on the screen. I went to CVS last night and had the cashier scan my phone. Yes, she looked at me weird, but it DID work!!! She made fun of me that I had it on my phone. I told her its going to be great for me. She told me she had an Iphone. I said its been available on there for a while. I bet she downloaded it now.

The only problem i've seen so far is that on all of the demos for Cardstar on their website, they show CVS and it has the CVS logo above the Barcode. Mine doesn't have that. I contacted Cardstar and they responded saying that there are still some bugs for Blackberry and this is one of them.

The only advice I can give is that when you set up your card, make sure you enter the member number. Then if it is a card that you had to label as "other" (being there wasn't a card pre-defined in the app) then you should already see the advance options. If it is a Best Buy, CVS, etc, then you need to hit the menu and selected "advanced". This will bring up a button called "symbology". This is where you can change the format of your barcode. I made sure to check all of them and I compared them to my keyring barcodes. Eventually, I found the Symbology that matched each keyring barcode. I figure this is why people aren't getting them to scan most of the time.

Also, the CVS cashier used a Scanner gun to scan my phone. I have read that flatbed scanners won't probably read it.

That's just my advice and success story with it. I have yet to try this at the gym that is not listed in the application or Best Buy, Petsmart, etc.
    05-05-10 01:02 PM
    SO THIS SUCKS ABOUT CARDSTAR!!!!

I upgraded to a leaked OS today (.656 for the 9700).

Because mycardstart doesn't allow you to backup your data (every barcode you entered), upon restoring your device, ALL of your cardstar data is GONE.

So basically after spending an hour typing about all my barcodes yesterday, I have to do it all over again.

If you often upgrade your OS, or wipe your device, or whatever, you might want to rethink how often you do so, or whether the app is really for you.

I emailed mycardstar support letting them know they should really offer an option to backup your data to SD card like most other apps do.
    05-05-10 01:40 PM
    I just deleted this app.. used it since yesterday.. no barcodes scan. worthless app to have considering how much memory it takes up for nothing.
    05-05-10 04:21 PM
    Tried with both a Safeway card and a Harris Teeter card. Safeway worked fine, Harris Teeter did not. With the Teeter card, it put extra spaces in the number, which is why I think the barcode didn't come out right.

Conceptually, this is an awesome app, but it needs some hard-core refinement.

1. Memory usage -- It's one thing to take up a huge amount of app memory for the application itself, but the fact that the database is apparently also stored in the app memory just isn't going to work (and it's not exactly negligible in size either). This information should be moved into the internal memory space or have an option to store on the SD card.

2. Backup -- This probably ties into moving the app data into the storage memory or SD card, but the ability to backup the saved cards NEEDS to be available.

3. Better bar code creation controls. As I mentioned above, it seemed to "format" my Harris Teeter card account number incorrectly, causing the spaces to be in the wrong place...which may (or may not) have been why the barcode didn't match the one on my physical card. I deleted the app before I could try to manually add the card using the generic "other" entry, so I don't know for sure if that would have made a difference, but it's obvious that quite a few folks have put cards into this app that didn't work, so that needs to be fixed.

Hopefully the app creators check site like this to get feedback and make the appropriate fixes. I'd love to use this app when it's working correctly.
    05-06-10 09:00 AM
    I just upgraded my Tour. Opened the Cardstar app, and I have zero/zilch/nada! What a waste.
    05-06-10 09:07 AM
    I agree with the amout of space taken...it is just too large. Especially on a Pearl.

So I ended up download the app, inputting all my cards & then I did a print screen of each barcode & saved them into a folder in my pictures. Then I deleted the application.

Now I have all my cards located in the top folder in my pictures available whenever I need them & I don't have that memory hogging app on my memory depleted Pearl.

Best of both worlds for me!!
    05-06-10 09:40 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD