Huge app and also reading mixed reviews (iphone users) about the functionality of this app. Lots of users say that bardodes do not scan well if you're using a screenprotector. Hope this isn't true . . . I'm guessing LOTS of us are using a screenprotector on our BB's
    Indeed I hope this is not an issue, I have an Invisible Shield on mine, I will have to to test it out ASAP and see how it works...I just added Best Buy and will have to try next time I am there.

Also app opened right up after battery pull...
    05-04-10 03:32 PM
    All I did was exit the app and open it up again and all my cards were there.
    05-04-10 05:55 PM
    Huge app and also reading mixed reviews (iphone users) about the functionality of this app. Lots of users say that bardodes do not scan well if you're using a screenprotector. Hope this isn't true . . . I'm guessing LOTS of us are using a screenprotector on our BB's
    Their website notes that it may not work with screen protectors and to contact them for info on which protectors might work. I'm probably not going to install as I not only have a verizon privacy screen protector but also an otterbox with screen protector.

In addition, the size mentioned does not sound favorable. But I guess it needs to be that large to enable them to use the gps to know your location and probably do some other privacy questionable things. Big Private Brother will know too much more about us, I guess.
    05-04-10 07:08 PM
    I tried to use it today at speedway and it didnt work.anyone get it to work yet and if so what stores?thanks.
    05-05-10 02:30 PM
    Indeed I hope this is not an issue, I have an Invisible Shield on mine, I will have to to test it out ASAP and see how it works...I just added Best Buy and will have to try next time I am there.

Also app opened right up after battery pull...
    I also have an Invible Shield on mine. Update us if it works with the screen protector at Best Buy (or any other store for that matter)
    05-05-10 03:03 PM
    This was posted on Twitter 2 hours ago:

MyCardStar #blackberry users we hear you: working on a much, much slimmer version of #cardstar right now

It drains memory from your phone.
    05-05-10 03:19 PM
    I was really looking forward to this APP . . . but for now, sounds like there are more negatives than positives. Guess I'll wait to see if issues are fixed in the future before downloading / using it.

Main issues (as reported by users):
    > download size
    > confusing UI
    > effectiveness of app with BB's that have a screenprotector (lots of users!)
    > backup personal settings option (app will not remember cards entered when installing new OS etc...
    > Simply doesn't work at stores

Let's see what the new update brings . .
    05-05-10 04:47 PM
    I emailed yesterday to ask:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting CardStar about your inquiry. The card entries that you input are stored within your app. We do not externally export and store your card information anywhere. However, we are adding a feature shortly which will allow users to log in through the app and back up their card entries on a private external server. Only the user would be able to log in and then restore their card entries if they were ever lost or accidentally deleted. We are working on this for the next major update which should occur within the 2-3 months.

Lastly in regards to scanning CardStar on your Blackberry, we've tested CardStar for BlackBerry successfully against imaging (CCD) scanning guns (sometimes called LED scanners). However, laser scanners and flat-bed scanners that you find at the grocery will probably not scan your phone due to technical limitations of the BlackBerry screen.
    Nevertheless, we are working on a number of ways to improve scanning success and we'll be introducing these improvements in forthcoming versions of CardStar for BlackBerry.
    In the event that a barcode does not scan, CardStar displays your number prominently, so that you or the cashier can enter the number by hand.

Hope this information helps!

-Sashont

CardStar Support
    05-05-10 05:47 PM
    When it works-it's really good, but I only loaded two cards before I realized there was no back up and subsequently lost that information (long story). It's 2010, if EDOCRAB (and others) can scan barcodes and save the infomation, why can't I take a picture and store the information on my SD card??!! Excellent program, but I refuse to type in 8-15 alphanumeric codes for these "convenience" cards, only to lose them anytime I update my phone. At this point, it's easier for me to whip the card out of my wallet...looking forward to cardstar 2.0.
    05-16-10 05:36 PM
    ^^ Well to save it, you have to backup your blackberry with Desktop manger.

The barcodes is saved in the device memory
    05-16-10 10:49 PM
    I have 6 cards loaded and so far
    I tried it 3 times and none of the locations worked.
    05-18-10 11:19 PM
    I've used this app alot since I first read about it... I have no issues with most of the cards with the exception of custom cards...
    05-18-10 11:46 PM
    I've used this app alot since I first read about it... I have no issues with most of the cards with the exception of custom cards...
    Every retailer I gave it too said before trying they didn't think it would work because of the glare from the screen, each tried it a few times then just typed in the numbers.
    05-19-10 07:37 AM
    Every retailer I gave it too said before trying they didn't think it would work because of the glare from the screen, each tried it a few times then just typed in the numbers.
    FWIW, I've seen in some posts around here that if you to into settings and change your backlight brightness to something below 70, it works...I can't confirm this myself, as I have an 8130, and there is no way a 3.5 meg app will fit and function on my phone!
    05-19-10 08:12 AM
    Cardstar's tweet:
    "Just updated #cardstar for #BlackBerry 70% smaller, SD card backup/restore, merchant search, etc! http://tinyurl.com/cardstar-rim"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 01:52 PM
    Thanks, Morry, for posting our tweet here.

Our focus on this build has been to address the issues that were brought up by our users. We'll be continuing to do that and communicate with users better (for example, adding a page on our site that describes the changes in each version, explaining how to upgrade in our FAQ, etc.).

Meanwhile, we're looking at ways at improving the overall speed, reducing the size more if possible, and making the UI a bit nicer. At the same time, we'll be adding new features.

Thanks to all for their invaluable advice and support.

Danny Espinoza
    CardStar, Inc.
    05-21-10 02:11 PM
    Thanks, Morry, for posting our tweet here.

Our focus on this build has been to address the issues that were brought up by our users. We'll be continuing to do that and communicate with users better (for example, adding a page on our site that describes the changes in each version, explaining how to upgrade in our FAQ, etc.).

Meanwhile, we're looking at ways at improving the overall speed, reducing the size more if possible, and making the UI a bit nicer. At the same time, we'll be adding new features.

Thanks to all for their invaluable advice and support.

Danny Espinoza
    CardStar, Inc.

I have yet to get it to work.

I do want to know why does it need my information off my cell phone and why does it ask promission to access my GPS ?
    05-22-10 04:37 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD