Well while I was working on my car earlier, I thought to myself I should create a car maintenance app. Here are a few ideas I have for the app

- Multiple cars
    - Input different stats (date and miles when you changed your oil, air filter etc)
    - Fuel Millage Generator
    - Notifications on when it's time to change oil, coolant, filters, spark plugs etc.
    - Sync everything on my server so you won't lose your data when you wipe or replace your phone
    - PC access, you will be able to visit the site using your pc and see all the data that you record using your storm. You will also be able to make changes to all your vehicles etc.
    - In the future I hope to have factory recommended alerts. For example you punch in how many miles you have on your car and it will alert you what needs to be done. Say you have 60k on your car it will tell you "You should replace your belts, fuel filter etc etc"

Those are just a few things right now. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this kind of app? Do you think a 1 time fee for 2.99$ is a fair price?

Also do you have any suggestions on what to add / replace?
    03-10-09 02:48 PM
    Awesome idea! I was thinking about this last week after seeing an I phone app that estimates repairs etc. The estimate thing is kinda useless but your ideas are right on the mark. If buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 02:54 PM
    I've thought about the same thing.
    But as for me, I like to keep a written log of all my car's maintenance... not just for my piece of mind, but for taxation reasons as well (gotta love/hate a 1099).

Yes.. I think $2.99 is more than a fair price for this app.
    03-10-09 02:54 PM
    I suggested this and some people acted like I was stupid, lol.

Basically your ideas are exactly what I had in mind. $2.99 is more than fair. If it eventually ends up with alerts, I'd pay several dollars more.

My only real recommendation would be to make the version on your server one that is in a format that could be easily saved to our own PCs. I don't need anything fancy, but it'd be nice to have it all displayed on one screen so that I could copy and paste into Word/save the webpage to my hard drive.

Oh, and maybe just a field for "last service," because it'd be great to have a quick way to record major servicing where I have a bunch of stuff done at those big mileage landmarks. When they ask me when I last brought it in I have no idea and they always have to look it up for me, hah.
    03-10-09 03:05 PM
    Love the idea, i would pay 2.99 without thinking twice about it!!!
    03-10-09 03:09 PM
    I think $2.99 is more than fair. heck, I'd probably pay a bit more.
    03-10-09 03:09 PM
    Wow, this would be very usefull..

How about when the "check engine" light haunts the car lol..

Great Idea! I'm Sold!
    03-10-09 03:28 PM
    Great idea... Here's a thought... The screen could show an actual picture of your car, that you could take from the camera... Then maybe certain parts of the car could be clickable... not sure how that would be done, but that would be pretty cool...
    03-10-09 03:35 PM
    Have a place to include key info about the car (tire size, insurance policy info, insurance agent, etc.)
    03-10-09 03:52 PM
    I'd buy it without a doubt.
    03-10-09 04:29 PM
    Good idea. My car already does all of this for me though. You'd be able to sell it for sure though.

03-10-09 04:34 PM
    Well while I was working on my car earlier, I thought to myself I should create a car maintenance app. Here are a few ideas I have for the app

- Multiple cars
    - Input different stats (date and miles when you changed your oil, air filter etc)
    - Fuel Millage Generator
    - Notifications on when it's time to change oil, coolant, filters, spark plugs etc.
    - Sync everything on my server so you won't lose your data when you wipe or replace your phone
    - PC access, you will be able to visit the site using your pc and see all the data that you record using your storm. You will also be able to make changes to all your vehicles etc.
    - In the future I hope to have factory recommended alerts. For example you punch in how many miles you have on your car and it will alert you what needs to be done. Say you have 60k on your car it will tell you "You should replace your belts, fuel filter etc etc"

Those are just a few things right now. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this kind of app? Do you think a 1 time fee for 2.99$ is a fair price?

Also do you have any suggestions on what to add / replace?
    DMG you are God. just thought id say that...
    03-10-09 04:50 PM
    I'd pay more than $2.99 for it, especially if you have the manufacturer-recommended maintenance intervals loaded in. Just so you know, that's kind of a big responsibility right there. Each manufacturer has different ideas about these things, and they are constantly changing their minds as to what are appropriate service intervals and what should be done differently for each car. i.e. there is no general "it is time to replace your so-and-so at xxxx miles" for most parts on most cars.... that is, if you plan to use "factory recommended" alerts.
    Part of my job is providing "service menus" to car dealerships (the book you sometimes get when you buy a new car spelling out the services and intervals for you) so I know from experience what I'm talking about.
    I'd recommend keeping it EXTREMELY general for built-in alerts and allow people to plug in their own intervals (or modify your presets on a per-car basis)
    03-10-09 05:02 PM
    I don't know if there is a searchable database of manuals online, but an interface to view repair manuals and owner manuals for your particular vehicle (would probably be pdf format) OTA would be nice too.
    03-10-09 05:02 PM
    Sign me up! Im terrible at remembering crap like this.
    03-10-09 07:39 PM
    Come on DMG, its been 6 hours and you still don't have it out. Sigh...

$2.99 is a good price for this app.
    03-10-09 09:26 PM
    Come on DMG, its been 6 hours and you still don't have it out. Sigh...

$2.99 is a good price for this app.
    Lol I just got out of class, but I will start working on it
    03-10-09 10:14 PM
    this could be real useful.

i hear autozone is doing great cause so many people are doing it themselves these days to save money. so this app would really come in handy.
    03-10-09 11:13 PM
    I've used this software on my PC and Palm Pilot for several years - and paid significantly more than that, but love the app. Unfortunately, they don't have a mobile version for Blackberry.

I believe there is a free trial that you could use to get some ideas.

I'm pretty sure someone posted something similar a month or two ago and was working on something - or maybe that was at Howard Forums, can't remember for sure. (but it was a Storm thread)
    03-11-09 12:03 AM
    Absolutely. I was thinking of a car maintenance app just so I could record oil changes. This would be great!
    03-11-09 01:12 AM
    Is there any way of paying for apps or donating money by charging it to your phone. Cause I would
    Def buy thus app but don't have a credit card or anything like thag

03-11-09 09:25 AM
    If you make it, I'll get it
    03-11-09 10:03 AM
    I'd love to beta test something like this. I have two cars on different schedules.

03-11-09 10:22 AM
    That would be awesome...now add in on On*Star support! lmao...

I'd love to test this as well.
    03-11-09 10:26 AM
    I'd be interested. I love your Storm Slots app!
    03-11-09 10:26 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD