Brand new Bold 9650 (obviously).

I have been able to load many 3rd party apps using OTA with no problem.

However, there is one I can only load using DM. As soon as I open the Application Loader page, I get an error message at the bottom of the App Loader frame that says:

(red X) "The device does not have enough memory space for your selections. Select fewer applications."

Now, all of the installed apps are checked, the ones I want to install are unchecked.

And .... when I look at memory available using STATUS it is 313,174,949 so available memory clearly is not an issue on the device. Meterberry reports 298.7mb available application memory.

Anyone else seen this issue ??

Suggestions ??

tia

On Edit: Interesting that DM sees the device as out of memory when there is 313mb available. Additionally, Meterberry reports:
    Application Memory Total: 256mb
    Application Memory Available: 298.4 mb (117%) --- more available than total ??

With 2 different applications reporting the available memory incorrectly leads one to believe there is an issue with the way the apps (in this case DM and Meterberry) read memory, or the way the 9650 reports it. Seems like the apps thing it has 256mb total (which the 9630 does) and they don't know how to read the 512 that the 9650 actually has.
    Last edited by Go Blue; 05-23-10 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Update: Issue resolved
    05-22-10 09:51 AM
    Had this issue, was driving me nuts. Probably a driver issue with the new phone. Make sure DM and your computer install the new phone fully. DM recognized my phone but would gray out for apps even after porting over data. A few more tries and I saw the phone's drivers get recognized and then I was operating.

Good luck.
    05-22-10 03:09 PM
    Update:

RIM apparently has an interesting approach to software / application version numbers.

Evidently there is DM v5.0.1 and then there is DM v5.0.1

v5.0.1 is the latest DM available, and is the version that I have been using in this little episode.

However, today I found an update for v5.0.1 -- 43mb later DM is updated and it is still v5.0.1 --

And, after the update from v5.0.1 (which reported no available memory on the 9650) to (updated) v5.0.1, DM now reports 484.4mb available, so I'm guessing I'm going to be able to install apps now via DM.

At this point, I don't have the app file I need to download with me, so will have to report back later if App Loader will indeed work, but it is certainly looking more hopeful.
    05-22-10 07:54 PM
    If I think back to the fog of that long night setting up my new Berry, I may have in fact downloaded DM again, even though the stated versioning was no different. Might have used the one from the disc instead of the one I had from the internets. Wish I could be more clear, but I think you're onto it...

Curious more people haven't run into this...
    05-23-10 01:14 AM
    Update 2: After updating DM v5.0.1 on another computer, this time a 250 mb update that resulted in a new v5.0.1, the App Loader reported 484.4 mb free, and installed the app I was trying to load successfully.

Case closed.

Evidently, the earlier version of DN v5.0.1 doesn't know how to read the 512 mb of total memory that is installed on the 9650. It takes a *new* version of DM v5.0.1 to do so.
    05-23-10 06:04 PM
    i'm having this issue too. I'll try and update DM
    05-26-10 12:54 PM
    Update:

RIM apparently has an interesting approach to software / application version numbers.

Evidently there is DM v5.0.1 and then there is DM v5.0.1

v5.0.1 is the latest DM available, and is the version that I have been using in this little episode.

However, today I found an update for v5.0.1 -- 43mb later DM is updated and it is still v5.0.1 --

And, after the update from v5.0.1 (which reported no available memory on the 9650) to (updated) v5.0.1, DM now reports 484.4mb available, so I'm guessing I'm going to be able to install apps now via DM.

At this point, I don't have the app file I need to download with me, so will have to report back later if App Loader will indeed work, but it is certainly looking more hopeful.
    Interesting that DM reports 484 and 313 is on Status and a bit less on your meter... any idea about the discrepancies?
    05-26-10 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD