Why is it google maps can find your location and BB Maps can't. I'd much rather use blackberrys app is there a worlaround?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 07:06 PM
    This is a "Known Issue" documented internally within the Development Team. Look for a fix within the next few firmware updates. See attached image ))
    09-11-10 07:23 PM
    I loaded the ribbon today after having upgraded to 214 Thursday night. BBMaps finds my location. What does yours do?

09-11-10 08:15 PM
    Grrrrrrrreat!!!

09-11-10 08:22 PM
    Perhaps I understand... the best accuracy that I seem to get is 19 ft. I get much better than that with Google Maps. Is this what you see?

C

09-11-10 08:22 PM
    Ok. So if I allow the GPS enough time, it will pick up on more SATs. Too impatient I guess. Now I can get around 6 ft accuracy with BB Maps. Looks good to me. Hope you get yours working!!

C

09-11-10 08:33 PM
    Ok. So if I allow the GPS enough time, it will pick up on more SATs. Too impatient I guess. Now I can get around 6 ft accuracy with BB Maps. Looks good to me. Hope you get yours working!!

C

Do you need the data plan to run the GPS or just stand alone with signal from satellites?
    09-11-10 09:20 PM
    you'll need data to display the map...
    09-11-10 09:26 PM
    Agree. Data plan is required for the map to display using BB Maps. However, using something like TrekBuddy, which allows the user to store maps on the media card, can be used without a data plan. Other apps, like GPS Tool do not show maps and can also be used (as far as I can tell).

C

09-11-10 09:51 PM
    Or you could use Google Maps without data, and drive around like this:
    09-11-10 10:16 PM
    Now that is funny.

09-11-10 10:31 PM
    is it just me or are to the maps not default to up anymore? meaning when you are driving, the map rotates to the so that you are always driving "up" on the device... know what i mean?
    09-12-10 08:57 AM
    So what's the best media card loaded mapping app? I travel a lot and some of these countries have a limitation on Mb which I would rather use on browsing etc. I wish we had something like ovi maps.

09-12-10 09:10 AM
    What about AT&T maps that finds your location really well and it seems to be free looks just like google maps and BB maps but let me no what you guys think about it cause it seems like there is a free one and one that you pay for tell does anyone else use that

09-12-10 09:20 AM
    The at&t map app is another $10 a month. Not free

To keep the BBMap facing the direction you're going, press menu, select Start GPS Navigation.
    09-12-10 09:28 AM
    So what's the best media card loaded mapping app? I travel a lot and some of these countries have a limitation on Mb which I would rather use on browsing etc. I wish we had something like ovi maps.

Don't know if it is the best, but I like TrekBuddy. It allows the user to create their own maps and store them on the card. The map creator has access to a number of map sources, including Topo maps. I'm not sure if it supports turn-by-turn, but for what I need, it works good. You can set it so it uses the GPS standalone (instead of the network). As always, your mileage may vary.

C

09-12-10 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD