I'd like to point out that whenever I go with someone to get their BlackBerry the sales rep ask them if they have internet at home, and how much they pay...they then sell the tether fee as a replacement for their internet at home.
    04-07-09 02:00 AM
    $15 extra for me.... Love it !
    04-07-09 02:39 AM
    Careful though, with the 5 GB limit that is now the standard maximum, don't go on Youtube or alike...
    What are you talking about ....don't go on youtube and the like...I use my tethered storm to stream
    both hulu & orb I have never went over the 5gb limit...I mean honestly do you realize how much 5gb really is...
    Oh and by the way its only $15 a month..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 02:48 AM
    Just wanted to add my two cents. Been using PDANet for $29.00 one time payment for tethering my Storm 9530. The speed is ok, works great for power outages and out of Wi-Fi ranges. Plus you don't have to pay Verizon or anyone else a continuous monthly tethering fee. Well worth the price imho. Also, much less than let's say $50+ a month or so for a wireless USB connection.
    06-30-09 02:14 PM
    Telus charges $8/mb for tethering lol

06-30-09 04:11 PM
    Ok I'm a vzw sales rep.... If you pay 29.99 per month you will pay 30 for 5 gb tethering. If you pay 44.99 a month you will pay 15 for 5gb tethering. There is a 5 gb soft cap even on your email&web package read the fine print in the info book or online...it is against vzw terms of service to scalp tethering off your base data package without a tethering package and you are subject to cancellation or service and subject to the etf fee for violationg the tos

I used to be a vzw ASM and there is a good chance they will not catch you if you are doing simple web browsing.. If you start downloading a bunch of music, programs and videos you will probably get caught though and get charged the etf.

I barely use 1 GB A MONTH! I think the most I have ever used is like 700KB and thats when I fist got my new phone (Getting it customized for "ME" with app downloads mp3's etc...)

I say "you pay for your OTA Data usage" use it how you see fit.... If your device is capable why not use the capabilities to your advantage, you paid for the hardware, you pay for the service it should be ok for you to take advantage of it s FULL capabilities!
    Last edited by Blacker.the.berry; 10-22-09 at 03:25 PM.
    10-22-09 03:18 PM
    i have an unlocked storm on at&t, would i get charged for tethering, and how do you get the phone so you can use the tethering feature? a little help please?
    12-27-09 04:10 PM
    Zacomac, this is one I can certainly help you out with. I have had my Storm from the beginning and yes, whatever subscriber you use whether AT&T, Verizon, etc., you will not only get charged with a monthly fee for the tethering option, you will also get charged for data used if you go over your plan. I HIGHLY suggest PDANet from Junefabrics. Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem[/url]. It's only $29 and works great with my Storm 9530. This way you only get charged once for the software and that's it. It installs software on your laptop or desktop as a host and also a client on your Blackberry. When you want to tether your Blackberry for whatever reason, just click the modem option in the lower right hand corner of your computer, that easy. This way you don't have to pay any further charges to your ISP for the tethering option, even if you don't use it much. Just watch how much data you use because you are still bound by your data plan. I use mine for power outages and lack of access to Wi-Fi spots. Hope this helps.
    12-28-09 07:09 AM
    im probably gonna mess with it this weekend.. but i have the 30 dollar blackberry package through at&t.. so if i understand this correctly, they will charge me for tethering? like how will they know if i use my phone to access the internet on my laptop through using my phone as a modem?
    12-29-09 01:21 AM
    Zacomac33, it's not necessarily important how they know you are tethering, it's that it goes directly towards your data plan. As an example, if you only websurf via tethering, you have little to no worries due to data transfers only in kbs, very small amounts. However, if you plan on downloading and/or uploading files a lot such as documents, music, or even video, be VERY CAREFUL!...unless you have an unlimited data plan which in this case you mentioned that you do not i.e. your $30 data plan. This is why I only use my tethering option as a secondary option, that and lack of data transfer speed. Let me know if this clarifies things.
    12-30-09 02:51 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD