I recently downloaded Opera Mini and think it's a great app. Is there any way to set Opera Mini as the default browser? The posts I read about this are all pretty dated. I've been running several different versions of 5.0 over the last few months. I'm wondering if any of these updates provide some sort of method to reaching my desired outcome.
    03-22-10 07:33 AM
    I don't know about OS 5.0 but on 4.6 there's no way to set Opera as default unless I'm missing something. The only default browser options available are firefox, blackberry, and internet explorer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 07:47 AM
    I don't know about OS 5.0 but on 4.6 there's no way to set Opera as default unless I'm missing something. The only default browser options available are firefox, blackberry, and internet explorer.

Firefox on the BB? :P

An earlier beta of Opera automatically make it the default browser......... Why oh why wont it do it now
    03-23-10 09:28 PM

You don't actually get the Firefox and IE browsers... the feature you are speaking of is for how web pages identify your blackberry while you are surfing. Some pages are written with enhancements or features specifically for blackberry, Firefox or IE, therefore if set to blackberry and you got to a page that supports blackberry browsing, the layout, font, etc may be changed to fit the reduced size of your phone.
    04-06-10 10:31 AM
    bump! i also would like to know whether it's possible to set opera as default, its much speedier on os 5 than the native browser. if so, how?

if not possible, what would happen if -- is it possible to remove it-- if i removed the native bb browser, would " open with" window such as in ms appear and allow me to reset to opera?
    05-19-11 08:44 PM
    I don't think you can remove the native browser.
    05-19-11 10:04 PM
    I think if you goto browser setting and set your default browser as Opera mini then it shall work
    05-21-11 07:38 AM
    You don't need to remove your native browser. Just in setting set your browser to Opera mini,it should work.
    05-21-11 07:39 AM
    I don't see that anywhere in my options.....
    05-21-11 04:52 PM
    I don't see that anywhere in my options.....
    The option to set Opera Mini as your default browser is not possible at this time, though I would love the option to do so myself.

That being said, you do however have the option to open web links with OM, such as in an email, for instance.

05-21-11 06:17 PM
    ^ Where is that setting in OS5? Thanks!
    05-23-11 06:40 AM
    ^ Where is that setting in OS5? Thanks!
    I'm currently using OS6, so I'm unsure if it's the same procedure in OS5, but try this anyway.

Once you're in your selected email, scroll down to the link and hover your cursor over it (it should automatically highlight the link), then click the BB button. This will bring up a menu. Scroll to the top of the menu and you should see the "open in Opera Mini" option.

PossumPete likes this.
    05-23-11 07:43 AM
    Off topic question: On OS6, when Opera mini is running in the background (when it show up on app switcher), does it drain battery life?
    05-23-11 09:54 AM
    "Open in opera mini" will only be displayed if email link is displayed as "www". etc. To do this, scroll over link ( i.e. link says "click here to visit website"). press menu key, then select "get plain text". the link will then change to "www. whatever" and "open with opera mini" option will now be available in menu!
    10-15-12 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD