I have a 8538 and I would like to view PDF's on it without paying for a reader. I am a pilot and would like to look at airport diagrams and approach plaits.
    01-15-10 03:47 PM
    01-15-10 03:51 PM
    Doesn't Adobe have a free mobile pdf viewer as well?
    01-15-10 03:59 PM
    This is the thing that annoys me most about blackberries, it seems like such a stupid thing to have to do just to view a PDF.
    It's about time Adobe or RIM made the Portable Document Format portable, without having to fart about sending yourself e-mails.
    01-15-10 04:01 PM
    I have a 8538 and I would like to view PDF's on it without paying for a reader. I am a pilot and would like to look at airport diagrams and approach plaits.
    My husband is also a pilot (regionals), and he keeps his GOM and stuff on his BB also. We just went ahead and plopped down the 10$ for Repligo Reader (it's on sale this month) rather than mess with all the email crap. It's pretty user friendly and he seems to like it. Who do you fly for?
    01-15-10 04:18 PM
    The BlackBerry will natively view PDFs when sent as e-mail attachments. You can open them up from the e-mail and view them.

It's probably not as good as a 3rd party version (whcih can also look at stored PDFs), but it is already in place.

Try e-mailing a PDF document to your BB and opening it.
    01-15-10 05:50 PM
    This is ridiculous. PDFs have to natively supported. What's wrong with RIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 03:40 AM
    Nothing is wrong with RIM. PDFs are natively viewable when received in an email as as an attachment. Sorry you don't like the answer or the options provided. What is ridiculous is peoples expectations. Blackberries are not computers, they do a lot of the same things scaled down, but this is why companies created LAPTOPS and NETBOOKS.
    01-16-10 08:19 AM
    I don't really think it's unrealistic to want a native pdf viewer on a berry that doesn't require you to email it to yourself. however, since that's not an option at this point (unless a super savvy programmer/coder wants to come up with one) Until then, we're stuck paying 30 bucks for the docs to go premium edition (when all you really get is the pdf viewer as the upgrade) or shell out 10$ for repligo reader.
    01-16-10 11:01 AM
    It's absurd that there's no native PDF reader on BlackBerries. Nah they aren't netbooks or laptops but RIM wants you to believe they're comprehensive business smart phones.

And no, companies did not create laptops and netbooks for reading PDF files.
    01-16-10 11:04 AM
    Is there a way to pull the PDF reader from Doc to Go and just install that? I don't want the whole Doc to Go. Way too large to just sit on my phone, not getting use.
    01-16-10 11:05 AM
    Nothing is wrong with RIM. PDFs are natively viewable when received in an email as as an attachment. Sorry you don't like the answer or the options provided. What is ridiculous is peoples expectations. Blackberries are not computers, they do a lot of the same things scaled down, but this is why companies created LAPTOPS and NETBOOKS.
    I disagree with this. People would expect a phone like the Blackberry to be able to natively read PDF files without having to go through all that email goodness. If the phone is able to read it through attachments, I don't see why it can't just plop one open when you're on a webpage. It's crazy to have to pay that 10-30$ for a feature that most people would agree should already exist in the OS. Sure there are laptops and netbooks for that but really, people aren't going to go out and buy a laptop to open a PDF just because their Blackberry can't. A lot of people rely strictly on their BB to meet most of their needs and if something like opening a PDF frustrates them then it just makes things a whole lot worse.
    01-16-10 11:29 AM
    Seems they have it for every other platform on the planet except blackberry.

Would any of these work on a berry?

Adobe Reader - Mobile Devices
    01-16-10 11:53 AM
    I think I will download Repligo. On my wifes Droid Eris I can download all PDF files and reopen them whenever I want. I wish that I can do the same with my Blackberry without having to open it with my e-mail. I still love my Blackberry.
    01-16-10 05:34 PM
    Boy, people don't read the thread. There is native PDF viewing on the BlackBerry.

Let's repeat that: There is native PDF viewing on the BlackBerry.

It only views PDFs that are sent as e-mail attachments. The basic link means you have to open the PDF from a received e-mail. Send the PDF through e-mail, save it to your SD card and save the e-mail. You can then open up the PDF file through that e-mail any time you want.

If you want to view the PDF outside the e-mail system, you need to use a 3rd party app like Pepligo or DocsToGo.
    01-17-10 08:29 AM
    Boy, people don't read the thread. There is native PDF viewing on the BlackBerry.

Let's repeat that: There is native PDF viewing on the BlackBerry.

It only views PDFs that are sent as e-mail attachments. The basic link means you have to open the PDF from a received e-mail. Send the PDF through e-mail, save it to your SD card and save the e-mail. You can then open up the PDF file through that e-mail any time you want.

If you want to view the PDF outside the e-mail system, you need to use a 3rd party app like Pepligo or DocsToGo.
    I read the whole thread. I even read your post. Being able to read ONLY email attached PDFs doesn't count as native reading for most of us.

Do you honestly believe that emailing yourself every single PDF file that you want to open is an acceptable process? You genuinely believe that we're fools for thinking that downloading a PDF from an internet server then clicking on it straight away should be possible?

I paid $200 for my phone and that was a rebated, on-contract price. They claim it's actually a $600 or $700 phone. You're telling me it's completely acceptable to have to email yourself a PDF to open it on a $600 business smart phone?
    01-17-10 05:08 PM
    You have been provided alternatives.

01-17-10 05:14 PM
    Right. Because improvement and change comes to those who are happy with the status quo.

Things improve because people see and point out shortcomings. Don't try to shut those people down.

Last edited by dchawk81; 01-17-10 at 05:28 PM.
    01-17-10 05:25 PM
    Right. Because improvement and change comes to those who are happy with the status quo.

Things improve because people see and point out shortcomings. Don't try to shut those people down.

Nicely said and I completely agree. If everyone were to sit and do nothing then nothing would ever happen.
    01-17-10 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD