Been playing with my new 8120 and can't seem to use the Facebook app if I disable the mobile network (Orange) but leave the wifi working. This is a slight worry as it seems Facebook downloads/updates via the mobile network only which will eat into my data plan

Anyone know if you can make Facebook (or any apps really) use the WiFi signal, if present, rather than the mobile network?

thanks
    04-25-09 11:26 AM
    Just to add, in the "Manage Connections" menu, I get a yello "-" against the Wi-Fi item whereas I get a green tick against the mobile network item. The phone does show my ssid though
    04-25-09 12:00 PM
    I just got my first blackberry, without any blackberry data plan, and it was working for me over wifi and tzones on the first day. then i gave the phone to my sister for a week. when i took it back, facebook 1.5 had been installed and i could no longer get it to work anymore. dont know which version came preinstalled, but i just tried 1.3 and same issue, it tells me i need a Blackberry data plan even when using wifi
    04-25-09 12:41 PM
    Unless, the program has a specific WiFi mode option, then you cannot force a program that regularly uses your Network connection to opearate via WiFi.

Check out this thread, for a number of programs that are able to operate via WiFi.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/

In the interim, if you really want to check facebook using WiFi, just login via the Hotspot Browser, and save it as a bookmark.
    04-25-09 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply

Seems a little strange that they didn't write the app to use Wi-Fi if available. No matter, I'll use the hotspot browser to do any viewing of photos etc.

cheers
    04-26-09 03:19 AM
    Thanks for the reply

Seems a little strange that they didn't write the app to use Wi-Fi if available.

cheers
    The facebook app is written by RIM, so its in their interest to write apps that only work on a blackberry data plan.

I use m.facebook.com on the BB Browser and iphone.facebook.com with opera mini. I dont really like using the iphone site on a non touchscreen device, but i guess it would work nicely on a storm.
    04-26-09 04:00 AM
    Just an update, a few minutes ago I just installed the facebook app from App World and it is working over wifi. I tested it by disabling the cellular radio. I don't have a blackberry data plan. I don't know what has changed. The version installed is 1.5.0.32.

I don't know how long it will last like this, but it is working as of this post
    04-29-09 12:23 AM
    Hi,
    My BB Facebook is now working fine on gprs and wifi. If my BB in wifi mode, it will ignore the cellular radio and use wifi, otherwise it uses cellular mode

best regards,
    04-29-09 03:08 AM
    hey what do you mean by wifi mode? Do you mean just turn off your service provider?
    05-17-09 01:31 AM
    I've had my blackberry 8120 Pearl for almost a year and was able to access mobile facebook without a Wi-Fi connection. I then had to replace my phone (under warranty) however when using my new blackberry 8120 Pearl, it wouldn't allow me to view friend's profiles or "Go to Mobile Site" - I get the message "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again".

I can't even use my web browser to go to facebook.com or m.facebook.com.

HOWEVER, previously I book marked Mafia Wars (FB app) on my phone and when I use that link, it allows me to access Mafia Wars and once there I can click on "home" or other FB links and I can access FB that way in my browser. I looked at the address and when I manually type this into the browser address, I can access FB (message board won't let me put the address here).

This is just odd. I don't understand why m.facebook.com or facebook.com or trying to go to the mobile site via the app on my phone returns the Wi-Fi error.

Any clue?

Jes
    05-19-09 10:05 AM
    NEVERMIND, I figured it out by finding this solution on other sites....

On your CrackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration > Change to "Internet Browser"
    05-19-09 10:53 AM
    I tried using FB with WiFi on and Mobile Network off. I was able to change my status and post wall messages. I think it'll work over WiFi if your BlackBerry has a valid BlackBerry Plan (BIS or BES).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 03:04 PM
    Been playing with my new 8120 and can't seem to use the Facebook app if I disable the mobile network (Orange) but leave the wifi working. This is a slight worry as it seems Facebook downloads/updates via the mobile network only which will eat into my data plan

Anyone know if you can make Facebook (or any apps really) use the WiFi signal, if present, rather than the mobile network?

thanks
    have the same problem man :-(
    03-28-11 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD