Issue:

No Audio Bookmarks (Curve) - Searching through every forum, post and commercial offering and finding NOTHING that supports our needs!

Since we are part of a community of BlackBerry users who enjoy audiobooks, podcasts, radio shows and have a definable need 'Audio Bookmarks', lets unite.

Suggestions for comment:

• We band together and define the attributes that would satisfy the need for Audio Bookmarks solution.
    • We form a small co-op of individuals willing to donate $$$ say something between $10 & $20 per individual for the express purpose of developing the solution.
    • For those that participate with funding & roll up the sleeves participation in defining and moving the project along, you will receive a copy of the end result.
    • Should the solution be commercially desirable, we could arrange further benefit for the participants in any number of ways i.e. funding a new BlackBerry centric project etc.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Food for thought:

I think most of you would agree that the built-in BB Media Player is very nice and functional minus 'Audio Bookmarking' functionality. If we could create an add-on to work with the BB Media Player we would satisfy the need. That said, should this not be feasible then we may be looking at a full blown media player development.

Those of us that use corporate owned BB's would expect the add-on or new Media Player features to fully operate with some level of restrictive Permissions assigned by corporate IT policy i.e. Keystroke Injection denied is one that is often set within corp. BB's.

I would offer up managing the development and have experience with such endeavors to support a solution development. While all of us in the same boat would like to have a solution yesterday we have to be realistic in terms of driving factors.

1. Time
    2. Cost
    3. Requirement

Ultimately one could outline tens of items under each of the three general categories above. At the end of the day, the three top level criteria items inherently interact with each other to form a balanced result. All participates would be part of defining this delicate balance.

Potentials:

We may find one or more of the current Media Player providers get with the program and add these needed features sooner then later to eliminate further competition from a project of this nature!

Since so many talented folks participate within these forums, we may find a competent and credible developer right here to step up to the plate...

RIM may see the light since they are shouting to the world the wonderful capabilities that have come into the marketplace with the Curve and all of its features.

And finally, a group of Crack Berry fans could come to the rescue.

Ready to roll, lets get started....

Ren

Skype-ID wb3fsr
    09-20-08 10:51 AM
    nice pageantry.

why not just go ask a developer to create something?
    09-20-08 03:39 PM
    Yeah that would be easier. I agree though! Someone needs to create this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 07:10 PM
    Yeah that would be easier. I agree though! Someone needs to create this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    viigo is already in the process of it.
    09-20-08 08:31 PM
    I feel your pain. I'm an audiobook and podcast enthusiast myself. It's shocking how poorly developed this area is for the device. Third party apps for Palm and Window have provided these features for years.

As for Blackberry, there is at least one third party player that offers audiobook mark support: Dollar5 Media Player.
    Dollars 5 Complete multiPlay Personal edition for Blackberry 8800, 8300 and 8100

And, VoiceIndigo is a podcast client that you can use to download directly to the device. It is kind of cumbersome process, but still better than hooking up to a computer. Plus, part of my issues with the application might have been caused by user error.

Frankly, the Blackberry OS doesn't like podcast downloads. The large files violate security protocols on the device. Viigo has delayed the Blackberry podcast client for months now. They just cannot get all the bugs out of the podcast app. Hopefully, they will iron out the kinks soon.
    09-24-08 09:02 PM
    I downloaded Pod Trapper. I have played with it some and occasionally run into problems probably due to my error or the interface is a little picky. But Pod Trapper looks terrific and does bookmarks. Also Mr. Watkins has been very prompt and kind in answering my plaintive email. Its Pod Trapper at versatilemonkey(dot)com and it works with almost all audio files and it does podcasts but I haven't even thought about doing anything with that. You get a free one month trial of Pod Trapper then it is $10
    04-07-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD