Why is it that the BB calendar - and every other smartphone calendar I've seen - sucks big time compared to what we had on Palm PDAs years ago? I love my 9700. Best phone/messaging device I've ever had. But honestly, shouldn't the PIM apps of smartphones have caught up with where were were a long time ago? If you have a simple life, they all work fine. If you are heavily dependent on your calendar, having to make appointments on the fly, integrating them with contacts, getting a quick on-the-road picture of your available time in the next week or month, the current offerings just don't cut it. The Palm PDAs had several really good 3rd party calendar applications like Datebk6, Agendus, and KeySuite. I've tried all the BB offerings and have seen the Android stuff my daughter has and nothing comes close. In fact, the BB stuff is pretty awful by comparison. What gives?
    07-08-10 09:59 AM
    Look into Pocket Informant BB (PIBB).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 10:10 AM
    Tungle is pretty good too

07-08-10 10:48 AM
    Agendus ROCKED!
    07-08-10 10:51 AM
    I will toss in my two cents for Calendar Pro. At least with that program you can set categories by color and have views by day, week, or month.
    07-08-10 12:28 PM
    What gives? - Well, you can't satisfy everyone so they go for something stable and easy to understand. Sophisticated stuff like Agendus is left for the 3rd parties, since it would confuse most of us.

Why not just try Agendus for Blackberry, since you liked it so much?
    07-08-10 12:43 PM
    Look into Pocket Informant BB (PIBB).

Thanks. Tried it. Actually used it on a WinMobile device and it was pretty good. On the BB, not so much.
    07-08-10 02:04 PM
    What gives? - Well, you can't satisfy everyone so they go for something stable and easy to understand. Sophisticated stuff like Agendus is left for the 3rd parties, since it would confuse most of us.

Why not just try Agendus for Blackberry, since you liked it so much?
    I've tried Agendus for BB. Again, very deficient in power and flexibility compared with the old Palm app.

I understand that sophisticated apps will be left to 3rd parties. What I don't understand is why there aren't better third-party apps. Maybe it's because the platform is hard to program for. Maybe the lack of a stylus limits implementation. But, there must be a million more BB users than there were Palm users years ago. Seems odd to me the offerings are so deficient.

What are people doing that have sophisticated calendaring needs? My guess is they are using another device or even a paper planner. I can't see people using the existing apps available for the BB for much more than checking their next appointment on the road.
    07-08-10 02:10 PM
    I will toss in my two cents for Calendar Pro. At least with that program you can set categories by color and have views by day, week, or month.
    I actually bought Calendar Pro (it's been updated twice in the last few days). I agree it's better than the native app, but it doesn't hold a candle to, for example, Datebk3, 4, 5, or 6.

At least it seems developers recognize the vacuum and are working on solutions.
    07-08-10 02:12 PM
    And able to assign icons to categories(from their extensive list of icons)

Good Luck
    07-08-10 08:50 PM
    PIBB rocks for me. Colors, Icons, contact linking. Great views.

07-08-10 09:30 PM
    Have to agree that Palm had the best PIM functions. So sad they fell off the grid.
    07-08-10 10:57 PM
    I too miss the Palm PIM. Even Palm has abandoned it with the Pre. I still use the Palm desktop for some 3+K business contacts and auto dialing. The complete search features are the best and looong notes are essential to me. On the phone I liked seeing the text of appointments on the month view (can that be done on the bberry? XCalendar does not work, shows appts on wrong days.). I also like to keep a syncable version of my PIM on my hard drive not in the cloud and have not found a good way to do that with the berry BIS. Any ideas?
    B B

Last edited by BlazorBoy; 07-09-10 at 08:14 AM.
    07-09-10 06:37 AM
    I love Pocket Informant as well, and like that it also has a Contacts database, Tasks and Calendar. I tried Calendar Pro but that's all it is, a calendar. With Pocket Informant you can assign an icon to the task or appointment without having to create a category to use the icon; and the monthly calendar view in Pocket Informant shows the little icons on the days to give you a hint of what your appt is, Calendar Pro doesn't do that either.
    07-09-10 07:06 AM
    Developing for BlackBerry is best described as a stream of profanity occasionally punctuated by an app release.
    07-09-10 07:57 AM
    The biggest problem is the lack of categories in the basic data structure for the native calendar app. Once you get that piece of information, third party apps can do a lot of stuff but without it they are stuck either running two databases (native and one to track the categories) including a new sync conduit running its own exclusive database and lose some interactions in other software plus still run your own sync conduit.
    07-09-10 08:53 AM
    I also like to keep a syncable version of my PIM on my hard drive not in the cloud and have not found a good way to do that with the berry BIS. Any ideas?
    B B
    Take another look at Calendar Pro. New update a few days ago. Cleared up all issues with all-day events bledding over to the previous day.

I currently sync directly, BT and or USB, to Outlook and all four PIMs sync, calendar, contacts, tasks and memos/notes.

Good Luck
    07-09-10 08:14 PM
    Take another look at Calendar Pro. New update a few days ago. Cleared up all issues with all-day events bledding over to the previous day.

I currently sync directly, BT and or USB, to Outlook and all four PIMs sync, calendar, contacts, tasks and memos/notes.

Good Luck
    Thanks TT. I will try that once I no longer have BES and Notes from work for my PIM. I keep my Palm desktop up to date with new entries.
    I hear there may be an issue exporting Palm to Outlook but also hear one may sync it from the berry to start off.
    Thanks again.
    B B

07-09-10 09:51 PM
    Thanks TT. I will try that once I no longer have BES and Notes from work for my PIM. I keep my Palm desktop up to date with new entries.
    I hear there may be an issue exporting Palm to Outlook but also hear one may sync it from the berry to start off.
    Thanks again.
    B B

If all of your PIM info is on your palm device consider doing this:

Start syncing your palm with Outlook.
    Then all you have to do is install the BB installation disk and then sync Outlook with the BB device.

Good Luck
    07-10-10 01:03 PM
    If all of your PIM info is on your palm device consider doing this:

Start syncing your palm with Outlook.
    Then all you have to do is install the BB installation disk and then sync Outlook with the BB device.

Good Luck
    Thanks again. I was told if all my data are also on my berry (which is now the case), I can directly sync it into Outlook (of which I am ignorant, having never used it) via DM. Is that correct?
    Thanks.
    B B

07-10-10 01:09 PM
    Thanks again. I was told if all my data are also on my berry (which is now the case), I can directly sync it into Outlook (of which I am ignorant, having never used it) via DM. Is that correct?
    Thanks.
    B B

That's correct BlazorBor,
    Just make sure in DM you have selected to sync with Outlook.
    If it's not available, you may have to insert the BB CD to install that. (I can't remember what exactly was available on the first sync.)

IMO, Outlook offers so much more than did Palm Desktop.

Good Luck
    07-10-10 04:27 PM
    That's correct BlazorBor,
    Just make sure in DM you have selected to sync with Outlook.
    If it's not available, you may have to insert the BB CD to install that. (I can't remember what exactly was available on the first sync.)

IMO, Outlook offers so much more than did Palm Desktop.

Good Luck
    A T T to TT (a Thousand Thanks to TurboTiger).
    B B

07-10-10 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD