I am an avid Geocacher. I normally use my Garmin GPSr, and a PocketPC (for the data) to go geocaching. Since I now have a BB, it didn't seem to make sense to carry that, the GPSr, and the PocketPC. So I tried to use Geocache Navigator and it worked for a while, the navigation was a little slow compared to my Garmin, but it worked pretty good for one device. Then after about two weeks I could no longer get a gps signal on my BB. The fine people at GN think that is due to the fact that my data provider has changed something.

Then I stumbled upon this application called Cacheberry,

CacheBerry - Geocache with your BlackBerry

I have really enjoyed using it. I just send the GPX files from geocaching.com right to my berry, or I use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife and create my own GPX file and send that to my berry. I can see the cache listing, hints, previous logs, etc...

Here are the system requirements:

System Requirements
    OS 4.3/4.2 (Curve 83xx, Pearl, 8800 Series, 8700 Series)
    OS 4.1 (7100 Series, 7250, 7290, 7520)
    Media Card (Mass Storage Mode): Windows, Mac OS, Linux
    CacheBerry Desktop USB: Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2000

They do offer a 30 day free trial too. By the way, I am not the owner nor have I been paid to post this. I just really like the product, and I feel it is a very reasonable price. Go check it out if you are a Geocacher.
    03-17-08 12:00 PM
    Another reason I wish Verizon would unlock the GPS - :\
    03-18-08 08:01 AM
    How do you "send" the GPX file to your phone?

E-mail it to yourself as an attachment?
    03-18-08 09:14 AM
    How do you "send" the GPX file to your phone?

E-mail it to yourself as an attachment?
    Did you download the CacheberryDesktop.exe file to your PC and install it?
    03-18-08 11:42 AM
    Thinking about starting a few geocache trips...thanks for the info C.C.
    03-18-08 07:40 PM
    Sounds interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 07:44 PM
    Did you download the CacheberryDesktop.exe file to your PC and install it?
    I no longer use the CacheberryDesktop. I have an SD card in my Berry, and I just transfer the GPX file to a folder on the card and open it with Cacheberry directly on the Berry. When I wa using the CacheberryDesktop it did work just fine for me.
    03-18-08 10:39 PM
    I'm looking for a non-OTA moving map piece of software. I also use my Bluetooth GPS with my iPaq and have like 4 types of software on it. One for driving, one for geocaching, two more for mapping and it works great.

But I would pay money for a good moving map display where I can store maps on the SD card. My problem is, I leave my coverage area pretty quick when I'm out in the bush camping/canoeing. I would like to use the BB for a moving map display, where I create the map and import it into the BB and put it onto the SD Card.

My current setup does a great job as I work for the government in Ontario and can create my own maps with highly detailed imagery and bring those into my iPaq. I've looked at a couple solutions, but none have worked so far, the closest was Spot.

Anyone have anymore ideas?
    03-19-08 10:08 AM
    Trekbuddy allows you to use maps that you create in advance and can store on your SD card. But you must create maps of whatever area in advance.
    03-19-08 11:31 AM
    For years I have used my Palm Treo series phones or TT2 along with Cachemate to geocache. I knew after my first Geocache outing that I would need to ditch the reams of paper required to cache, so looked into Cachemate for my TT2. The natural progression to smart phones brought along Cachemate program and all was well.....until the temptation to switch to a BB. Since nothing new or interesting was coming from Palm and I was using two different email applications for personal and business email (SnapperMail and DataViz's RoadSync) one of the big factors keeping me from making the transition to a BB device was the lack of GC software. Cacheberry I tried and like it much more than Cachemate in a few areas but it is inferior in several as well.

I use "Geocache Swiss Army Knife" GSAK to manage my caching waypoints and after filtering out what I want from my PQs I now create a .gpx to load to my BB. The old days, I used a function of Cachemate within GSAK to automatically add the created databases to my Palm Device and it synced over on the next sync. With the BB, I created a CacheBerry folder on my MicroSD card and have allowed "Mass Storage Device" so when I plug in to sync, I also copy and paste my newly created cache database to the directory on the MicroSD card. Winner here, Cachemate and Palm

With large databases, and restricted device memory, I could store the cache databases on my external device memory (SD on Treo, MicroSD on BB). I cannot do that with the CacheBerry. Winner: Cachemate

I could load and have very quickly at my disposal, several databases, once loaded via the Palm Hotsync program, I would open Cachemate and it would detect a new database on my SD card. It would then merge with the proper data base (Current, found, owned, trip or whatever) already on the device. BB cannot, it can only handle one database at a time, it needs to basically load each like it is the first time. You can merge but you actually end up replacing the existing on the device.

On Cachemate you can actually move each cache from database to database. Meaning, if I find a cache, I can mark it to find and log later ( I usually have around 900+ caches in my default database) or I can create a new db and move this new 'find' to that db. I can manage indevidual records. Winner: Cachemate

As far as eye-candy. I love Cacheberry's look and interface. It is simply miles further than the Palm/WM Cachemate. Function and use is also top notch.

Improvements that would be nice?

EXternal card database storage
    Being able to have more than one data base useable on device
    Auto sync database to device
    being able to filter out the 'finds' you have on the device or more intuative "Find" feature
    The Ability to 'manage' indevidual records on the device

Although I havn't actually used CacheBerry in the field yet, I did buy it. I am heading out of town for summer holidays so wished to have a functioning caching application, didn't want the trial to expire while out on the road.

I will write up a detailed 'in use' type review when I get home.
    Last edited by echo4lima; 08-12-08 at 07:30 PM.
    06-27-08 08:11 AM
    Downloaded Cacheberry desktop manager and onto 8330. Now I can't determine how to get the PQ into .GPX format to send to phone.
    07-11-08 12:12 PM
    Downloaded Cacheberry desktop manager and onto 8330. Now I can't determine how to get the PQ into .GPX format to send to phone.
    If you are a premium member, your PQs come in gpx format in a zipped file. Unzip and add. The other option is do what a lot of us do, buy GSAK, use it to manage the waypoints, filter, select, create databases, export as a gpx, copy to the card of your BB, run Cacheberry, import the gpx and you are good to go.
    07-23-08 09:54 PM
    If you are a premium member, your PQs come in gpx format in a zipped file. Unzip and add. The other option is do what a lot of us do, buy GSAK, use it to manage the waypoints, filter, select, create databases, export as a gpx, copy to the card of your BB, run Cacheberry, import the gpx and you are good to go.
    There is an option to have them sent unzipped, right at the bottom, uncheck the box. Then when the email comes to your BB just import the attached files.
    08-20-08 04:55 PM
    Hey from one Geocash-addict to another... Thanks!

I had been using my Garmin iQue M5 (with GPXSonar)for my paperless caching. Now I can finally lay the old girl to rest :-) GSAK is by far my fav waypoint manager still but i do like the way that Cashberry looks and operates. Thanks for this great find!
    08-20-08 06:39 PM
    I am still amazed at how great this software works. The developer is always listening to its customers and trying to incorporate them if possible.
    11-10-08 03:38 PM
    I've got this running on my storm and it's truly addictive, the only app I've found that's better is a pay per month or buy it once app (I believe) but won't work on verizon or alltel phones, a buddy has it on his sprint pearl and we'll go out and see what we can find, the nice thing about his app is it pulls all of the WP's directly from geocaching.com realtime instead of pre-loading, so you can do a search in proximity to where you are currently....and if your list is a few days old you may miss one that's been put up since you checked the area....
    05-06-09 05:01 PM
    I had cacheberry, using trial version, but let it expire without buying it. When I saw that they added sort by current GPS location, and "radar" (compass pointing to selected cache) I bought the software.
    Unfortunately, I had installed the wrong version, the one without the GPS function. I just now found the correct version and have it working

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pragmaticjack; 09-19-09 at 08:53 AM.
    09-19-09 08:26 AM
    Just bought my new Storm2 last week and took it for a spin geocaching over the weekend. I'm using cacheberry (trial version for now) and blackberry maps. The software is awesome! No problems getting to ground zero with this. I didn't care for the "radar" scope that came up within 50 feet, so I just changed that to 1 foot so I could use the "compass" ll the way to ground zero.
    I have a Garmin 60cx and can only store 500 waypoints at a time, so having the ability to load 1K or more on my Storm2 is fantastic! I love all the details too.
    I had used by BB Pearl to surf the website for all of that info, but now I can find it on the fly on the Storm2.
    11-09-09 10:06 AM
    I have both Cacheberry and GC and I love them both..but I would like to know if there is a user's guide for CB. I can use most of the features with no problem but I'd like to be able to know the rest of the ins-n-outs of a program that I am using. I would appreciate any assistance with this. I currently have BB 8330.
    11-16-09 10:37 AM
    Yeah; another successful user!
    04-02-10 11:24 PM
    Another long post!
    04-02-10 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD