I know that an application or a theme (though I don't have any supplemental themes installed) is causing this but how do I know which one it is?

Does the Bold OS have an error console that logs which applications throw errors, or does it simply display a mostly useless error message to the user?

I have deleted every third-party application since I first saw the error to no avail. Going through applications one by one is therefore kind of out of the question... Is it possible that modifying application permissions from their defaults (to be more restrictive) could cause this error?

UPDATE: Looking at the logs, I've determined that it was an error thrown by a version of LastPass for BlackBerry. I want to plug these guys big time right now. I sent in an error report today, on Easter Monday, with a copy of the error log. Within one hour, a developer had made me a custom build to test to see if the error was resolved (which it was). I'm not even a paying customer! LastPass - Password Manager, Form Filler, Password Management check it out (not an affiliate link). Presumably this will make it's way into a GA release.
    Last edited by msanford; 04-05-10 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Updating error cause and resolution.
    04-05-10 12:02 PM
    if you have deleted all your third party apps, just backup your info and reload the OS. Only takes about 20 minutes to complete. Just wipe your phone first with BBSAK. That is what I would do.
    04-05-10 12:05 PM
    the phone has a log file that will tell you what is running when it crashes.
    for me that error came up with bebuzz (the free version of berrybuzz).
    04-05-10 12:06 PM
    the phone has a log file that will tell you what is running when it crashes.
    for me that error came up with bebuzz (the free version of berrybuzz).
    BeBuzz eh, perhaps it's Berry Weather for me. I have many languages enabled.

Where do I access the logfile? I haven't seen it in any menu and the user-guide makes no mention of it.
    04-05-10 12:19 PM
    To access the log, type <Alt>LGLG or <Alt>lglg

It is doubtful that you have to re-install the OS but you should remove your 3rd party apps one at a time until you see which one is causing the error.
    04-05-10 12:25 PM

It is doubtful that you have to re-install the OS but you should remove your 3rd party apps one at a time until you see which one is causing the error.
    ya beat me to it!
    04-05-10 12:26 PM

That is awesome. Thanks.

I want to avoid uninstalling third-party apps mainly because I have to battery-pull after each one. My bold takes about 6 minutes to fully boot. That's a few hours' worth of nonsense for a simple error.

Much appreciated!
    04-05-10 12:28 PM
    ya beat me to it!
    Thank you all the same!
    04-05-10 12:29 PM
    I've gotten that error in the past because of a corrupt Address book. All I did was delete the Address book database on my device and re-sync. I'm on BIS, if that matters.
    Last edited by haggisgirl; 04-05-10 at 02:52 PM.
    04-05-10 02:49 PM
    I've gotten that error in the past because of a corrupt Address book. All I did was delete the Address book database on my device and re-sync. I'm on BIS, if that matters.
    Really! Knowing that corrupted data can also cause this is quite important to know: it means that the error is not limited to run-time execution of a particular app. Did you have an unmatched single quote in someone's name?
    04-05-10 02:57 PM
    If all else fails run the device without the memory card for a while and see if it comes up.
    04-05-10 02:59 PM
    If all else fails run the device without the memory card for a while and see if it comes up.
    Thanks for monitoring this Tony. I've just updated my initial post with the solution. The above comment was simply FMI (which probably ended up being TMI).
    04-05-10 03:02 PM
    Also..... try a reboot into Safe Mode. Do a battery pull or <Alt><RShift><Del> and hold the Escape key down while the phone is booting.

Here's the RIM KB on what this does

When starting the BlackBerry smartphone, you can turn on safe mode to prevent third-party applications from running automatically. Safe mode is designed to allow you to troubleshoot or remove any unwanted applications.
    To turn on safe mode, complete the following steps:
    1. Remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.
    2. When the red light-emitting diode (LED) light goes out, press and hold the Escape key as the BlackBerry smartphone is loading. See KB05470 for the location of the Escape key.
    3. When the dialog box appears, click OK
    04-05-10 03:05 PM
    Also..... try a reboot into Safe Mode. Do a battery pull or <Alt><RShift><Del> and hold the Escape key down while the phone is booting.

Here's the RIM KB on what this does

When starting the BlackBerry smartphone, you can turn on safe mode to prevent third-party applications from running automatically. Safe mode is designed to allow you to troubleshoot or remove any unwanted applications.
    To turn on safe mode, complete the following steps:
    1. Remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.
    2. When the red light-emitting diode (LED) light goes out, press and hold the Escape key as the BlackBerry smartphone is loading. See KB05470 for the location of the Escape key.
    3. When the dialog box appears, click OK
    Pete, even though I have resolved my issue (updated original post) this is really useful information for the future. Thanks!
    04-05-10 03:06 PM
    Pete, even though I have resolved my issue (updated original post) this is really useful information for the future. Thanks!
    Good news, what was it please? Just so's others can benefit from what happened. Thanks.
    04-05-10 03:08 PM
    Good news, what was it please? Just so's others can benefit from what happened. Thanks.
    I always follow up forum questions See my original post at the top.

Basically, checking logs with the method suggested above led me to find the application which was throwing the error. Contacting the developer got me a fix in one hour.
    04-05-10 03:10 PM
    hi i got the same error on all the latest os ,s from after .442 when i treid to go on the internet via the browser icon i got that error and could not get it off the screen. and i dont have a lot of 3rd party apps on my phone so i thought it cannot be that. so i loaded the .996 os yesterday and got the problem again, but i always have the icon with wap "hidden" so clicked to show it and clicked on that wap icon one to go on net and the error did not come up, so i treid the browser icon and they both work with no java error
    04-05-10 03:19 PM
    I always follow up forum questions See my original post at the top.

Basically, checking logs with the method suggested above led me to find the application which was throwing the error. Contacting the developer got me a fix in one hour.
    Yeah, I saw your OP. Which app and what was the final fix?
    04-05-10 03:44 PM

How do you see list of third party apps?

I've had my BB Tour for almost a year and this is the first time I've had a problem.

"uncaught exception Java.lang.nullpoinvention" something,something???

how can I remove app that messed everything up OR at least save my contacts?
    06-22-10 11:20 AM
    When you are given the backup optionz, what if nothing happens during transferring data process. I waited 30 minutes, still no movement.
    06-22-10 11:25 AM
    Go to Options, Applications and at the top of the screen make sure that Third Party is selected. That is the list you need.
    06-22-10 12:01 PM
    Just wondering for those people that are having this issue, did you delete any lang .cod files?
    06-22-10 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD