Thanks to BrightKite user @challgren we now have a working BrightKite App for the BlackBerry!

OTA here: Blackberry apps by Hallgren Network

View Ongoing Updates Here: Unoffical Blackberry App (blackberryapp) - brightkite.com

Keep in mind this is in alpha and Challgren has been working non-stop to make this an amazing application!

Developers THIS IS NOW OPEN SOURCE!!!

Supported on all models

Features:

Check In Via Google Search and GPS
    Check In Via Placemark
    View: FriendStream, Around You, and BrightKite Universe Stream
    Post Notes
    Post Photos
    Post Comments
    View Mentions
    Edit Privacy
    View Users PlaceStream
    View Checkins On Map

Screen Shot:

Please reply to this post with feedback and bugs

Changelog:

0.2.9 TODOs
    New Features

* Viewing user details
    * Sending friends requests

New Features

* You can now search in placemarks by pressing a key when the list is displayed.
    * Will now display a message if Brightkite is overloaded (And take you back to the main screen).
    * Will now display a message if you account is invalid such as username and/or password issue (And take you back to the settings screen).
    * Listens for incoming email from Brightkite and will notify based on the type of message received.
    * Options Screen is now in the app and the Blackberry settings store.
    * Added Notification profiles to the Blackberry profiles (place where you change your ringtone) .
    * App now runs as an auto start that registers the email listener, camera hook, and settings provider. This prevents duplicate registrations on the device.
    * Adding a warning for those that use Auto or BIS to upload photos. The warning does not show when you are using Wifi and in Auto or BIS mode. Since Wifi uses direct TCP.
    * You can now enable Wifi which will cause BrightBerry? to send all its web requests through the connected Wifi if it is available and connected.
    * Adding a Logger that allows you send a developer log to myself.
    * Adding Shortcut keys.
    * All exceptions are logged into a logger.
    * Adding the option to clear the error log thats created.
    * Adding the option to be notified when something fails. (@jomichele request)
    * Adding counts for how many mentions and comments you have.
    * You can now view your comment stream (Photos are not exposed by Brightkite so you cannot se the photo that the comment was concerning.

Fixes

* Thread for WhereAmI would run excessively and unpredictably. Now only calls when the program is brought from the background, user requests an update, or user checks in elsewhere
    * Freed up resources after they were used.
    * Removed friend count variable since its not used for right now.
    * All URLs are now constants in the main app.
    * Correctly closing all resources we use.
    * No longer changes the file name from the picture name to "Blackberry-uploadedimage"
    * Moved around the files into respective packages. UI, Util, Screen, Objects, and Lists
    * Notifications are no longer processed if the email is not sent to your account.
    * Once an avatar is loaded the current screen is redrawn so you will no longer see a default avatar unless the user doesn't have an avatar.

Removals

* Removing debug option from the StreamScreen?.
    Last edited by captcrackberry; 07-24-09 at 07:31 AM.
    05-19-09 11:03 AM
    Prefer to Install Via Desktop?

No need to launch desktop manager, simply plug your blackberry into your computer via usb and launch this link:

Loader page for Hello World Application
    05-20-09 09:35 AM
    Working GREAT for me!
    05-20-09 10:34 AM
    Working GREAT for me!
    Brightkite user @challgren has been doing an exceptional job on this, considering he is not a brightkite employee and doing this on his spare time pro bono!

also check up updates on brightkite @blackberryapp
    05-20-09 10:42 AM
    This seems like one of the many apps that would be pretty cool to have if I knew anyone else that used it. But since I don't, what could I possibly get out of it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 03:22 PM
    This seems like one of the many apps that would be pretty cool to have if I knew anyone else that used it. But since I don't, what could I possibly get out of it?

you wont know until you try!
    05-20-09 03:36 PM
    Ok, so I decided to try it out. It doesn't look too exciting, really.

Can I check in just using my gps location?

05-20-09 04:19 PM
    So, this app could be really cool if more people used it. I could more easily know wassup with my friends, and maybe meet some random people at local bars and restaurants and stuff.

But sadly, not many people know about this app. What can be done to make it more popular? I don't think it could really be worthwhile unless it was used on a pretty massive scale, so should I keep it and see if that happens eventually, or just not even bother? This type of location tracking will likely eventually be built into other social networking sites, so I'm skeptical that it's worth it even bother with this thing, as cool as it could be.
    05-20-09 05:33 PM
    So, this app could be really cool if more people used it. I could more easily know wassup with my friends, and maybe meet some random people at local bars and restaurants and stuff.

But sadly, not many people know about this app. What can be done to make it more popular? I don't think it could really be worthwhile unless it was used on a pretty massive scale, so should I keep it and see if that happens eventually, or just not even bother? This type of location tracking will likely eventually be built into other social networking sites, so I'm skeptical that it's worth it even bother with this thing, as cool as it could be.
    Read my guide I wrote to help people get started with it. Start using the search feature and browse the 'universe' feed. Comment on other peoples posts and soon you will hook up with new 'friends'.

Getting started with Brightkite. at Mike Dent�s �ickle Home (thing)�

It's not something you can just dip in for 5 mins and then dismiss, give it a good try.

Mike
    Mike Dent (mcdent) - brightkite.com
    05-21-09 03:05 AM

The blackberry app is not going to blow you away if you have no friends on brightkite, its purpose is to show you what your friends are doing and give you a glimpse into the lives and places around the world. So first step is to use the brightkite website itself and make some friends. A good way to start is by seeing whos in your proximity. You can start with a few blocks and expand to a region. Try searching for posts with things that interest you. Also you can browse the brightkite universe to see what people are posting in real time, im sure you will find someone of interest.

As far as this being like other social apps, I assure you it is not. Every time a user checks into a location and makes a post, that post is anchored to that location and can be viewable forever. next time you plan on venturing out of the house and go to a venue, restaurant, or store, try doing a search and see if people have already posted something at that location. I have made many friends and even met my girlfriend through brightkite! Its a very useful tool, and also integrates very well with twitter and facebook.

So before giving up, give it a shot, make some friends (there are millions of users!), even add me once you have some friends coming into your feed, try the blackberry app, it should make more sense and be a lot more fun!
    Last edited by captcrackberry; 05-21-09 at 07:50 AM.
    05-21-09 07:45 AM
    There are a few things that should be changed to make the app simpler to use, imo.

First off, it seems like the main purpose of this app is to be able to use it on your phone. Since it's used for updates based on current locations, it doesn't make much sense to have it be web-oriented. So everything that can be done should be able to be done from the app, and it doesn't seem like that's currently the case.

Checking in should be simpler. I should be able to have it update based on my gps (which it doesn't seem like I currently can) and then input the title of where I am as I please. If I'm at home, I should just type "home", so that it shows other users I'm at home, and then it could provide the address/intersection/area based on my gps. Also, posting a note should be part of the checking in process. Having to check in based on my location and THEN post a note is just tedious. And when I check my friends stream or the around me stream, it should just have one update per user, not one of them checking in and then another for a post, if they make one. Updates should include locations and posts (if the user chooses to add one). And with the gps thing, I should be able to type in where I am if my gps is unavailable or I don't want to use that, but it should definitely be an option to just have my phone update based on where it knows I am.

I should be able to pick what stream I want it to go to first when I click "what's happening", as opposed to it always taking me to my friend stream. Right now, I'd rather it go straight to the "around me" stream, but it doesn't seem like there's anyway I can make that happen.

And what's the purpose of the placemark tab? It seems to only have the location I'm currently checked in at, and nothing else.

Along with "messages" and "mentions", there should be a tab for "comments", which should include posts I've made that have new comments, as well as posts others have made that I've commented on that have new comments. Having to search through the "what's happening" tab for posts that I've commented on and then having to figure out whether or not they contain new posts is annoying.

When I'm viewing a stream, click the trackball should take me a menu that includes things like "view full text" and "post comment", "send direct message" and "view member" (which I don't think you can currently do from the app, but should be able to), instead of the short menu that it brings up now. The "view details" options seems unnecessary; that information should be include with the "view full text" option. Including "refresh" at the bottom of this list and moving "next 50 posts" to the bottom of the listing would make things much smoother, imo. This way, when viewing a post, I would just have to click the trackball to get to a menu with pretty much anything a person might want to do from that post (comment, message, etc).

So yeah, those are my thoughts right now. I do really like the idea of this app, but if you really want it to take off, you have to make it as simple and comfortable to use as possible, and right now there are a lot of tedious steps that have to be taken to do things that it seems should be much easier to do.
    05-21-09 12:10 PM
    mrmcpheezy, heres some answers to your questions:

First off, it seems like the main purpose of this app is to be able to use it on your phone. Since it's used for updates based on current locations, it doesn't make much sense to have it be web-oriented. So everything that can be done should be able to be done from the app, and it doesn't seem like that's currently the case.

Everything can be done from the phone expect post photos which will be in an upcoming update. This is purely app based this is not a wap app.

Checking in should be simpler. I should be able to have it update based on my gps (which it doesn't seem like I currently can)
    go to search & checkin, then go to menu get GPS location.

and then input the title of where I am as I please. If I'm at home, I should just type "home", so that it shows other users I'm at home, and then it could provide the address/intersection/area based on my gps.

This is a feature called placemarks which you can setup exactly how you want on the main website. currently the app only retrieves and let you checkin to preset placemarks.

Also, posting a note should be part of the checking in process. Having to check in based on my location and THEN post a note is just tedious.

Thats an issue you can bring up with Brightkite Support, ask @sprouticus

And when I check my friends stream or the around me stream, it should just have one update per user, not one of them checking in and then another for a post, if they make one.

what if twitter only posted one tweet per user per day? does it make sense, not sure, unless your looking for threading?

Updates should include locations and posts (if the user chooses to add one).
    It does!

And with the gps thing, I should be able to type in where I am if my gps is unavailable or I don't want to use that, but it should definitely be an option to just have my phone update based on where it knows I am.

Thats the regular Search & Check In it utilizes google search.

I should be able to pick what stream I want it to go to first when I click "what's happening", as opposed to it always taking me to my friend stream. Right now, I'd rather it go straight to the "around me" stream, but it doesn't seem like there's anyway I can make that happen.

I will relay to @blackberryapp about a splash screen.

And what's the purpose of the placemark tab? It seems to only have the location I'm currently checked in at, and nothing else.

add more place marks or read brightkites faq!

Along with "messages" and "mentions", there should be a tab for "comments", which should include posts I've made that have new comments, as well as posts others have made that I've commented on that have new comments. Having to search through the "what's happening" tab for posts that I've commented on and then having to figure out whether or not they contain new posts is annoying.

Comments are being integrated to an upcoming update.

When I'm viewing a stream, click the trackball should take me a menu that includes things like "view full text" and "post comment", "send direct message" and "view member" (which I don't think you can currently do from the app, but should be able to), instead of the short menu that it brings up now. The "view details" options seems unnecessary; that information should be include with the "view full text" option. Including "refresh" at the bottom of this list and moving "next 50 posts" to the bottom of the listing would make things much smoother, imo. This way, when viewing a post, I would just have to click the trackball to get to a menu with pretty much anything a person might want to do from that post (comment, message, etc).

Good points, should be resolved when this reaches beta!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by captcrackberry; 05-21-09 at 12:23 PM.
    05-21-09 12:21 PM
    Everything can be done from the phone expect post photos which will be in an upcoming update. This is purely app based this is not a wap app.
    No, there are definitely some things I can do from my computer that I can't do from the app: view profiles, ignore users, etc. All of those need to be integrated into the app itself.

go to search & checkin, then go to menu get GPS location.
    Thanks for pointing that out, but this should be one of the main options on the page when I go to that tab. It should be right alongside the "search" option, not something I have to press the menu tab to get to.

This is a feature called placemarks which you can setup exactly how you want on the main website. currently the app only retrieves and let you checkin to preset placemarks.
    And this is yet another thing I should be able to do from the app itself. This isn't the kind of thing I want to have to get online to do, and the more things I have to do online, the less likely I am to continue using the app. And the less likely it is to become more common.

Thats an issue you can bring up with Brightkite Support, ask @sprouticus
    Not to sound rude, but who are you and how are you affiliated with the app? Can you pass that request on for me?

what if twitter only posted one tweet per user per day? does it make sense, not sure, unless your looking for threading?
    Updates should include locations and posts (if the user chooses to add one).
    It does!
    No, you're misunderstanding. When I go to the "what's happening" tab, I get separate things for when someone has checked in or made a post. So this is related to the last thing I mentioned. When someone checks in, they should also be able to make a post as a part of that process. When I check a stream, I don't need one thing telling me they checked in and another telling me they made a post, those two things should be combined.

add more place marks or read brightkites faq!
    I've added other placemarks online, but they don't show up on my phone.

Comments are being integrated to an upcoming update.
    Cool.

Good points, should be resolved when this reaches beta!

Hope this helps!
    Yeah, I'm just trying to help, cause I do think this could be a cool app, if some changes were made to the way it worked.

And it does, thanks.
    05-21-09 12:34 PM
    [QUOTE=mrmcpheezy;2613451]

No, there are definitely some things I can do from my computer that I can't do from the app: view profiles, ignore users, etc. All of those need to be integrated into the app itself.

Sorry, yes all (hopefully) coming up in the future. This app is being created by a brightkite user on his free time and doing it for free. Brightkite never made a blackberry app and he finally took charge and did it, so please be patient, good things will come. If you know javascript and know how to create those options please post in this forum!

Thanks for pointing that out, but this should be one of the main options on the page when I go to that tab. It should be right alongside the "search" option, not something I have to press the menu tab to get to.

Possibly?

And this is yet another thing I should be able to do from the app itself. This isn't the kind of thing I want to have to get online to do, and the more things I have to do online, the less likely I am to continue using the app. And the less likely it is to become more common.

True, but you take what you can get. I feel like your thinking that this app is meant to be the full product, its not. Brightkite.com is the full product/service, this app is simply a tool to access certain functionality of the main website that in wap mode is basically a pain in the a$$.

Not to sound rude, but who are you and how are you affiliated with the app? Can you pass that request on for me?

Leave that to you to discover.

No, you're misunderstanding. When I go to the "what's happening" tab, I get separate things for when someone has checked in or made a post. So this is related to the last thing I mentioned. When someone checks in, they should also be able to make a post as a part of that process. When I check a stream, I don't need one thing telling me they checked in and another telling me they made a post, those two things should be combined.

again that has to do with the API given by Brightkite, thats a feature the app creator has zero control over. Please provide feedback to Brightkite.com

I've added other placemarks online, but they don't show up on my phone.

Go to placemarks, hit menu, then update placemarks, tada!
    05-21-09 02:17 PM
    Sorry, yes all (hopefully) coming up in the future. This app is being created by a brightkite user on his free time and doing it for free. Brightkite never made a blackberry app and he finally took charge and did it, so please be patient, good things will come. If you know javascript and know how to create those options please post in this forum!
    So the app is being created by someone that isn't affiliated with the site?

True, but you take what you can get. I feel like your thinking that this app is meant to be the full product, its not. Brightkite.com is the full product/service, this app is simply a tool to access certain functionality of the main website that in wap mode is basically a pain in the a$$.
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. This type of app is meant to be used on mobile devices doesn't even really need a website, imo. I think it would be more worthwhile to develop a standalone app that serves this purpose.

again that has to do with the API given by Brightkite, thats a feature the app creator has zero control over. Please provide feedback to Brightkite.com
    I guess I thought the person making the app was involved in the website itself. But if they're not, then forget about brightkite and just come up with an app that works well for this type of thing. Spread it around through crackberry and other sites and it could really become a big thing.
    05-21-09 03:10 PM
    I guess I thought the person making the app was involved in the website itself. But if they're not, then forget about brightkite and just come up with an app that works well for this type of thing. Spread it around through crackberry and other sites and it could really become a big thing.
    Personally I love brightkite as do its current users, so personally i'm going to continue using it, and this app. I will be happy to try out your new social network! Let us know when it ready for launch!
    05-21-09 03:15 PM
    So the app is being created by someone that isn't affiliated with the site?
    Yes I am the developer of the software I have no affiliation with Brightkite or No Sleep Media LLC. Brightkite did not ask me to create the app. I decided that after a year of not having it I would attempt to write an app.

Why create a site, get the users to mimic something thats already built.
    05-21-09 07:30 PM
    Why create a site, get the users to mimic something thats already built.
    What I'm saying is that this type of app shouldn't need a website - it should stand alone as an application. If there were a fully capable application that functioned more simply and served this same purpose, it would become more popular than this site is, imo.

05-22-09 12:26 AM
    I can't update at all. The GPS location times out and the manual entering causes an uncaught exception.
    05-22-09 10:39 AM
    I can't update at all. The GPS location times out and the manual entering causes an uncaught exception.
    Yes I'm aware of the issue. Because I don't have a Blackberry with a GPS its hard for me to reproduce the issues. Since in the simulator there isn't too many varabiles. Once I get my hand on a better Blackberry I will be able to fix the GPS issues.
    05-22-09 01:03 PM
    What I'm saying is that this type of app shouldn't need a website - it should stand alone as an application. If there were a fully capable application that functioned more simply and served this same purpose, it would become more popular than this site is, imo.

Umm you miss the understanding of Brightkite, Brightkite is a social network not a single person network. **** if it was just me using an app on my device I would be bored as ****.
    05-22-09 01:05 PM
    Umm you miss the understanding of what I'm talking about.

05-22-09 04:10 PM
    Version 0.1.7 Released Blackberry apps by Hallgren Network. Allows you to post a photo with a caption. Shows the status of the photo post. Also allows you to view a post on the Blackberry Maps
    Last edited by captcrackberry; 06-04-09 at 01:21 PM.
    06-04-09 08:29 AM
    BrightBerry Version 0.1.9-ALPHA Released download: Blackberry apps by Hallgren Network ChangeLog at: alideas.com
    06-06-09 07:12 PM
    06-08-09 01:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD