yes, bolt browser.

so after trying the new opera mini 5 beta and the new bolt release i've come to the conclusion that the bolt browser is the best blackberry browser currently available. youtube.com, facebook, yahoo, all look like their desktop counterparts, no redirecting to the mobile version of the site. youtube vids don't look as good as they do on an iphone or an android phone but far better than the youtube mobile garbage. oh, and bolt is incredibly fast.

the only negative i've found is that "mobile view" doesn't work well. i'd say it's pretty useless. guess i'd still use opera mini 4.2 if i want a good mobile/column view.

Bolt Browser - Download

edit: btw, shortcuts are simple; use the 2, 4, 6, 8 buttons as directionals, 5 for a split screen view, etc.
    Last edited by ChumsGum; 10-11-09 at 10:35 PM.
    10-11-09 10:24 PM
    What is the problem with Opera Mini 5? It requires some learning on how to use it. It seems to be a very good browser to me.
    10-11-09 10:35 PM
    opera mini 5 beta was slow as molasses for me, and was very unreliable when it came to opening PDF/word links.
    10-11-09 10:44 PM
    I like them both- especially with the improvements.
    10-11-09 10:52 PM
    mini 5 is still very much beta, it's slower than 4.2 and doesn't allow for some setting changes that were available in the previous versions.

btw, sites like tvguide.com that weren't mobile browser friendly work incredibly well with BOLT. i can't say enough great things about bolt.
    10-11-09 10:53 PM
    Honestly, I have no love for Bolt or Opera. SkyFire is a different
    story and I'll wait for that.
    10-11-09 11:40 PM
    what is skyfire??
    10-11-09 11:44 PM
    what is skyfire??
    SkyFire is the browser that Opera and Bolt will never in a million
    years be. It is in closed testing for the BB but take a look here
    and you'll get an idea of what's on the horizon.

Watching videos on Hulu alone is worth the price of admission
    (which will be $0.00) Full Flash support is gravy

Skyfire: Product
    10-11-09 11:50 PM
    Wow it looks really nice..I like bolt better than opera but bolt wont download it will take you back to the default browser..that sucks!! I hope that get it on bb real soon!!
    10-11-09 11:55 PM
    Wow it looks really nice..I like bolt better than opera but bolt wont download it will take you back to the default browser..that sucks!! I hope that get it on bb real soon!!
    Now that is funny. The thing that I disliked mst about Opera Mini 5 beta before I deleted it was that it took over, without asking, the role of default browser.

I also found that the user interface completely ignored BlackBerry User Interface conventions. That is just plain arrogant.

Bolt is still on my system but I mostly use the default browser.
    10-12-09 02:23 AM
    My .02-
    I re installed the latest Opera-Mini and BOLT browsers. However, the BB browser on .238 works for me. Usually after a release(doesn't matter- browser/beta OS), some will proclaim that the release is great while someone else says it sucks. I've tried all three(Opera-Mini, BOLT, and BB browser) which have their own pros/cons and no need to repeat issues already mentioned. But, my preference is the BB browser or BOLT. Bottom line, whatever works for "you".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 07:27 AM
    I honestly don't mind the default BB browser. I've had opera mini and bolt (granted not the newer betas) and although they were great, I didn't see reason to stop using the BB Browser....maybe just me tho
    10-12-09 09:43 AM
    I'm just downloaded it now and I'm trying it. I'm liking it. Opera 5 seems really laggy on my 8900 and not that fast when surfing, although I do like the way pages look nice and sharp text.

I'm wondering what is the difference between Socket and HTTP in the preferences?
    Last edited by Diamond-Geezer; 10-12-09 at 04:04 PM.
    10-12-09 11:56 AM
    Everybody talks highly about the SkyFire? Has anybody used it on BB 8900 to love it so much? I believe it is not available for BB 8900 yet. Isn't that right? If so, how come SkyFire is that good?
    10-12-09 04:03 PM
    i hope skyfire turns out great but until it's released it's nothing but a distant promise.

been to a few message boards already with the new bolt and it's displaying playable embedded youtube videos, amazing.
    10-12-09 10:15 PM
    I never use bolt. I'm still at 4.2 with opera and I don't think I will change it. I think opera is much faster.
    10-12-09 10:25 PM
    quick question..is there anyway to change the font of the bolt browser to the default blackberry os font or even opera?

thanks..
    10-12-09 10:31 PM
    I used SkyFire on my E71 a looong time ago and was patiently waiting for it's release for years. Once installed I was quite disappointed with it and gave up. I've also tried Opera Mini and something else on my 8900 and didn't like either. This was almost a year ago now so maybe they are better but I hated them. I just uninstalled them and have been rocking the build in browser ever since.

Is Bolt that good? Free?

Is there a way to check the current version of the BB browser and upgrade or do I have to upgrade my OS to do that?
    10-12-09 11:31 PM
    @OstrichSak, whatever you do keep SkyFire in the back of your
    mind. I'm telling you the version being tested for the BB blows
    Bolt and Opera Mini away. Completely!!

As to your default browser, it is part of the core applications.
    You have to upgrade the OS to upgrade the browser, although
    nothing much improves about it from one OS to another.
    10-13-09 01:52 AM
    @OstrichSak, whatever you do keep SkyFire in the back of your
    mind. I'm telling you the version being tested for the BB blows
    Bolt and Opera Mini away. Completely!!
    I guess I will wait and see. Hopefully they've worked out a lot of the kinks since I used it last.

As to your default browser, it is part of the core applications.
    You have to upgrade the OS to upgrade the browser, although
    nothing much improves about it from one OS to another.
    That's kind of what I thought. I heard something about tabbed browsing and word wrap for the newer versions of the browser/OS as well as a couple other minor things that were changed/updated.
    10-13-09 02:01 AM
    Tabbed browsing is in the more recent 5.0 releases I think. I have
    not loaded one because of the AT&T browser fix PITA so I can't
    say for sure.

As to SkyFire, I too used an older version. What is on the horizon
    is truly stellar by comparison.
    10-13-09 02:06 AM
    I tried Bolt and Opera Mini, honestly, I'm sticking with the default BB browser. Bolt looks great and I love the split view option but the sites and links aren't the most reliable. I went to the Weather.com and entered my zip but it never brought up my city. When I clicked on the Facebook fav link it brought me back to the Weather page.

Opera Mini, it's too scattered. My BB cursor no longer had the freedom to range all over the page. Instead, it had to adhere to moving from link to link on the page. Some may like that but I didn't.

Someone mentioned Skyfire, I had it on my WinMo 6 phone and loved it! It played vids right in the browser instead of having to get out of the Bolt browser into my BB browser then into the media player. Yes, you have to do that to watch vids using Bolt.

If you get a chance to try out Skyfire, go for it. It's great!
    10-23-09 09:34 AM
    I've used both BOLT and Opera Mini. I still use BOLT. I didn't like the control scheme in Opera, but maybe I was missing something. BOLT works good for must sites I need to see as they were meant to. I still use BB browser for CB, because it remembers me whereas BOLT I have to log in again every time. My biggest complaint about BOLT is filling out fields, and it does that irritating "looks like I'm reloading the page" thing. The best thing I like is the ability to just go back without reloading the page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 02:00 PM
    I like the new beta of Opera Mini because I really really want tabbed browsing. However I removed it due to the battery consumption. If they do something about that in a future release I will go back to it, but if not I will stick with BOLT.

At least BOLT doesn't cause the back of my BB to get very warm.
    10-23-09 02:03 PM
    I liked Opera because I could access some secure sites, but bolt looks so much better. BUT.....I cannot figure out how to open a 'hotmail' email? I can sign in, see my inbox, but I cannot open any messages.....what gives?
    10-23-09 08:56 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD