I am running the latest official VZW OS.
    I boot my phone with 18mb.
    It only goes down from that, but I can deal with that part.
    I want to know if I have to many apps? It does not see like it to me.

Here is a list of the add on apps I have on the phone.

Poynt
    Viigo
    Google maps
    BB weather
    Vymail
    Facebook
    Radio Companion
    Edocrab
    Camera mute
    AP mobile news
    Pandora
    And 5 launchers

I still retain the default BB maps,Youtube, the IM apps etc.. I did remove the docs to go, it did not change much.

Does this sound right to you guys?
    01-07-10 09:56 AM
    And those are the only 3rd party apps you have installed? You don't have any other media files saved on your internal memory do you? I boot up w/close 22 megs w/the following apps installed:

Facebook
    Google Maps
    Ascendo Money
    Ascendo DataVault
    FiOS TV Remote
    TetherBerry
    Level
    QuickLaunch
    MyVerizon
    BBLight
    BuzzMe
    ExtraLight
    Blackjack
    Tiltris
    Labyrinth
    MeterBerry
    TalkLock
    StormSlider

Damn, I didn't realize I have that many apps -- no wonder I only boot up w/22 megs. lol I also have the default wallpapers which takes up 5 megs right there but I keep forgetting to remove them @ each OS install (which I rarely do).

I also have BB Messenger and AIM installed.
    Last edited by III 4U2NV III; 01-07-10 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Remembered additional apps installed.
    01-07-10 10:07 AM
    Don't feel bad, I think it's just the Storm 1 working at it's best. Here are the apps I have loaded:

Amazon
    Crackberry Launcher
    Cubs.com
    Espn.com
    FancyLog
    Google Maps
    Opera Mini
    Pandora
    QuickPull
    WeatherBug
    AIM
    eBay
    Facebook

I never deleted any of the stock crap that is put on here besides Vizual V-Mail and VZW Navigator.

I only boot up at around 16MB and it just drops from there. I know WeatherBug is a memory stealer, but I still feel like this is ridiculous when some people claim they boot with 40+MB.
    01-07-10 10:11 AM
    According to my memory use option I have 99% of the device memory free. It sux that the OS cant use that.
    01-07-10 10:25 AM
    I boot with 27.6 megs free and here's what I've got installed.

BB Maps
    Google Maps
    Life in Pocket
    Superpages
    Podtrapper
    Air Traffic Control
    Youtube
    App Store
    App World
    BB Convert
    Berry Weather
    eGPS
    Emergency Info
    Fox News Bookmark
    Gmail
    Google Sync
    I Map My Run
    Shortcovers
    Quick Launch
    Real Estate
    Tripometer
    YouMail
    Solytare
    BB Messenger
    Memopad
    Tasks
    Ebay
    Mobi book reader

Either you guys have apps installed that you don't know about, or you didn't shrink before installing the OS, or you've got a memory hog in your list of apps. I'm running a shrunk 419. After shrinking and before installing any apps I had over 60 megs free.
    Last edited by 3rdpig; 01-07-10 at 10:49 AM.
    01-07-10 10:43 AM
    I did forget about talklock and Gmail... But I did not shrink my OS or strip out the OS, and of course VZW insists on pushing out the apps we dont want.

Does anyone know what the shrink really gains you?
    01-07-10 10:45 AM
    If you don't choose to install the various add-on languages, help files, games, etc. that are listed in App Loader when you install a leak or a hybrid, isn't that the same as using Shrink-A-OS to shrink out those same items? I'm confused. Does doing the same thing with Shrink-A-OS gain you more memory than using App Loader to not install those same items?

Another question... can you simply go into the Java folder and delete the language files, help files, and games that you don't want to install? I would think that when you launch App Loader and don't select those language files, help files, and games to install that your memory would be the same as if you deleted those Java files or used Shrink-A-OS to shrink out those files. Is this logic wrong?
    Last edited by dylanmail; 01-07-10 at 11:19 AM.
    01-07-10 11:14 AM
    Viigo is the hog... I love Viigo but refuse to install it because it hogs so much memory... and part of it is my fault because I have a number of rss feeds but snaptu has a smaller footprint and allows you to import google reader rss feeds as well...
    01-07-10 11:34 AM
    best bet is shrink before you install, i went from 147mb being installed to 54mb. ..thats a lot of room! lol
    01-07-10 11:44 AM
    According to my memory use option I have 99% of the device memory free. It sux that the OS cant use that.
    Yeah seriously!
    01-07-10 11:46 AM
    best bet is shrink before you install, i went from 147mb being installed to 54mb. ..thats a lot of room! lol
    That number really doesnt matter....the number difference is not what is actually gained on the phone.
    01-07-10 11:55 AM
    Originally Posted by Rider-on-the-storm View Post
    Yeah seriously!

I second that!
    01-07-10 11:57 AM
    That number really doesnt matter....the number difference is not what is actually gained on the phone.
    ok good to know. i know you wouldnt gain all that back but i kinda thought that was a big increase from what you really gain.
    01-07-10 11:58 AM
    Are you guys who are booting up with low memory big business users?

I have nearly 1000 contacts and tons of emails and think that that eats away what small room the Storm has. I checked my Status in Options and have over 4mb in Database sizes.

I keep deleting apps and still only boot up with like 7 or 8 mb, which is ridiculous. (which then slowly goes down due to memory leaks from I don't know where).

I noticed when I had installed various leaked OS over the year that I had more memory than ever, but I think that's because it wipes out your emails and starts over, because my memory kept dropping after reboot consistently over the next couple weeks (I keep my emails set at only the last 15 days).

It's crazy that we can't put apps on the memory card to save space...
    01-07-10 11:58 AM
    Another thing you can do is go into Options>Status then push the BB button and choose Database Sizes from the dropdown menu. This will provide informtion about how much space data is taking on your phone. For example, are your messages or MMS or SMS taking up a lot of spacewhere or is your calendar or contacts. If they are, you may be able to delete many of those and free up some space.
    01-07-10 12:07 PM

I have nearly 1000 contacts and tons of emails and think that that eats away what small room the Storm has. I checked my Status in Options and have over 4mb in Database sizes.

I keep deleting apps and still only boot up with like 7 or 8 mb, which is ridiculous. (which then slowly goes down due to memory leaks from I don't know where).

I noticed when I had installed various leaked OS over the year that I had more memory than ever, but I think that's because it wipes out your emails and starts over, because my memory kept dropping after reboot consistently over the next couple weeks (I keep my emails set at only the last 15 days).

I have around 500 contacts, but I use Gmail for my email so I have no email stored on the phone itself. I use YouMail and keep the last 20 recorded calls on the phone, but I doubt it uses app memory store them.

You can put apps on the card, you just can not run them from the card.

I've got over 30 apps on my phone and boot with 27 megs free. I'm guessing I could install another dozen apps of average size and still have 12-15 free. As I asked in another thread, "It's a phone, how many apps do you need on it?". I find it hard to believe that 30 isn't enough. Of the 30 apps I've got installed many have duplicate functions and I could probably do away with 6 or 8 of them and not notice their absence.
    01-07-10 12:10 PM

Yes emails and contacts do take up some space. I am guessing you address book database takes up 1.3 megs or so and depending on how many calendar entries you have that takes a a nice chunk too. 4MBs is more than the typical user (mine is total size of 1.3 MBs) but if you list a break down of the big ones that would help see if something is really out of whach there.

But the memory is alot to be desired i agree. You can shrink the OS first and that would probably boot will maybe 7-10 MBs more but it depends.
    01-07-10 12:20 PM
    I have around 500 contacts, but I use Gmail for my email so I have no email stored on the phone itself. I use YouMail and keep the last 20 recorded calls on the phone, but I doubt it uses app memory store them.

You can put apps on the card, you just can not run them from the card.

I've got over 30 apps on my phone and boot with 27 megs free. I'm guessing I could install another dozen apps of average size and still have 12-15 free. As I asked in another thread, "It's a phone, how many apps do you need on it?". I find it hard to believe that 30 isn't enough. Of the 30 apps I've got installed many have duplicate functions and I could probably do away with 6 or 8 of them and not notice their absence.
    The big difference there is gmail doesn't store the emails on the phone. Synching to my work's Outlook does on mine, which takes up a lot of room. Plus my work Contacts have a l ot of data in those files too, which takes up a lot of room.

I don't need 30 apps, but it would be nice to have the room on my phone if I wanted to. I had been leaning towards going to a Storm 2 since it has twice the app memory, but after the Nexus One was announced, I may wait til that hits Verizon and see how that may be as a biz phone...
    01-07-10 12:27 PM
    Another thing you can do is go into Options>Status then push the BB button and choose Database Sizes from the dropdown menu. This will provide informtion about how much space data is taking on your phone. For example, are your messages or MMS or SMS taking up a lot of spacewhere or is your calendar or contacts. If they are, you may be able to delete many of those and free up some space.
    Yes, but shouldn't things like SMS or MMS and email messages take up DEVICE MEMORY and not the memory used for apps?
    01-07-10 12:29 PM
    I am running the latest official VZW OS.
    I boot my phone with 18mb.
    It only goes down from that, but I can deal with that part.
    I want to know if I have to many apps? It does not see like it to me.

Here is a list of the add on apps I have on the phone.

Poynt
    Viigo
    Google maps
    BB weather
    Vymail
    Facebook
    Radio Companion
    Edocrab
    Camera mute
    AP mobile news
    Pandora
    And 5 launchers

I still retain the default BB maps,Youtube, the IM apps etc.. I did remove the docs to go, it did not change much.

Does this sound right to you guys?
    If you are worried about app memory, then I would shrink the OS and reinstall. With those apps and with a shrunken OS you could boot with 30-35mb.
    01-07-10 01:03 PM
    If you are worried about app memory, then I would shrink the OS and reinstall. With those apps and with a shrunken OS you could boot with 30-35mb.
    OK, if I do that do I need to use a tool to wipe the phone first? I have never done that. I have installed leaks before, but thats about it.
    01-07-10 01:43 PM
    I think that RIM should just give us more memory on these things so we can get past the issue of loading apps. I want to see 32gb or 64gb internal memory and an option to have an extra card as well.
    01-07-10 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD