I couldnt really find an answer in search, because it was mostly sprint people asking.

on boost, the phone came with OS 5, the maps program it comes with is OK, nothing spectacular.

Coming from an iPhone..I am actually REALLY satisfied with this phone's performance.

Anyway, Google maps doesn't mention anything about GPS in the option menus, however the tracking does seem more accurate and faster to update than if it were triangulating.

P.S. I thought it was SO cool that the new os 5 had syncing contacts with Google built in! No need to d/l google sync
    04-26-10 10:39 PM
    i know in the GSM phones, it uses trilateration initially until GPS kicks in. but CDMA devices, namely Verizon ones, disable their GPS for 3rd party programs. dont know about Sprint devices though.
    04-27-10 04:26 AM
    Actually...the program(google maps) doesn't seem to mention anything about it using the gps...but I realied it DEFINITELY does.

I know Sprint's is locked, but Boost's 8330 gps isn't. At first if there is no signal, the program will use triangulation which isn't cloes to as accurate as GPS.

Yesterday though I realized that once Google Maps does connect to the sattelites it will show your location within 10 meteres (which is about 30 feet) which is the accuracy of any gps out there.

It works great too...I ****in love this phone after having ****ty Metro PCS and a very basic phone.
    04-27-10 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD