03-28-10 09:16 PM
34 12
tools
    I tried bolt, and opera mini a while after getting my curve. Bolt was just way too annoying to use for me, opera mini bugged the **** outta me with how it had no cursor.

Went back to the bb browser, and after getting fed up with how slow and long it takes to use, I decided to try OM again and wish I had done it sooner. Web browsing is literally perfect for me. Tried bolt again too because I figured it could just be the same experience that I initially had with OM, but nope.

It just feels very incomplete for me.

If other people like it then that's great though.
    03-28-10 01:31 AM
    I don't know why, but Bolt seems really slow - significantly slower than the native browser, and far slower than Opera Mini. No idea why. Same situation on my old phone, a 9000.
    03-28-10 04:22 AM
    On my 8330, Opera 5 is just too laggy. I don't remember the beta version being as laggy. Opera 4.2 worked fine, I just hated the functionality of it. Which is why I use the Bolt browser. At least the trackball/BB button, etc., works as they should. And one doesn't *have* to use the keyboard to navigate through pages. Another thing that I like is that I don't have to constantly zoom in, Bolt has pages auto-zoomed(and this is also can be customized).

The only problem I have with Bolt is that its the ugliest browser I have ever seen and the font is equally as unattractive. But I'll pick functionality over aesthetics any day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 03-28-10 at 05:52 AM.
    03-28-10 05:49 AM
    I tried Bolt 1.7 because it claims it can be used as the "default browser" and that you download with it. I don't have a BIS/BES plan so I can only use data with APN setting (TCP/IP). I can web-browse with opera, but not download anything.

Since I can't download anything with Opera, it's kind of ironic that Bolt only advertises their browser as an OTA download (?!). I only found a link to the ALX/COD desktop install on their forum (!!)

...so I finally installed Bolt, but, when I try to download Gmail (from m.google.com) it sees Bolt as a desktop browser and won't let me download (!?). And yea, the Bolt UI is fugly as ****. Def needs more work. but it they can get the browser working with downloads, then that will be great for non-BIS/BES users like me
    03-28-10 09:09 AM
    ...except Opera disables all convenience keys, supersedes the BlackBerry button, and even kills the volume buttons
    4.2 did. 5.0 doesn't.
    I'm on bolt now, I keep telling myself to switch to it cuz it loads faster. But then I start going through pages, and that stupid font... ugh.

03-28-10 10:07 AM
    I don't like either one of them. Bolt just takes to long to load the sites I go to the most and Opera will not load it at all.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-28-10 12:40 PM
    I actually prefered Bolt over OM because the new OM5 was way too laggy, I couldn't do anything on it and I installed it like 4 times. Bolt just needs to look prettier, that's the biggest thing with it. And the 20% thing.

03-28-10 01:26 PM
    I deleted Bolt after two days! I'm going to try Opera Mini.
    my 2 cents

Opera mini isn't a _terrible_ browser but it _is_ slow as death.
    My vote goes for BOLT...google maps even works on BOLT!

Does OM support google maps? I would be surprised if google maps was useable or even shows up on opera.

not only that...BOLT is beta! it's only going to get better....

peace
    03-28-10 02:06 PM
    I don't really like both. I can't log into forums without throwing my device against the wall with Bolt, and Opera Mini like to randomly lock up on me. I don't know what causes the lockup, I believe it's opening more than 4-5 tabs. Because RIM in all their infinite wisdom did not make a way to forcequit belligerent apps in a multitasking OS, I have to do a battery pull to get OM back.

The Bolt fonts remind me of Symbian OS. This isn't really good.
    03-28-10 09:16 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD