Maybe it is just me but i love the native BB browser, opera I used about 2 years ago when i got my first blackberry (pearl). From then I loved it and tried it again recently as well as bolt and nothing still can not shy away from the bb browser.
    Youre in the minority, the native BB browser has gotten a history of terrible reviews from the the experts to the occasional user. Even RIM as addressed the issue by aquriring a company to address it's browser and it's many short comings. I personally think it's a terrible browser.
    01-03-10 09:19 PM
    I don't really understand the big deal with browsers either to be honest. I use native browser for just about everything. If something doesn't look right in BB browser, I do have both Bolt and Opera installed just in case. But I just don't really like the interface of either 3rd party browser. Personal preference I guess.
    01-03-10 10:17 PM
    I don't really understand the big deal with browsers either to be honest. I use native browser for just about everything. If something doesn't look right in BB browser, I do have both Bolt and Opera installed just in case. But I just don't really like the interface of either 3rd party browser. Personal preference I guess.
    The idea is to have one browser and one browser only. There shouldnt be any need to switch from one 3rd party browser to another to do what the native browser should do. Safari on thre iPhone is a perfrct example of how a native browser should function. It's not about personal choice, it's about what RIM should have addressed since the launch of thier current generation devices.
    01-03-10 10:26 PM
    The idea is to have one browser and one browser only. There shouldnt be any need to switch from one 3rd party browser to another to do what the native browser should do. Safari on thre iPhone is a perfrct example of how a native browser should function. It's not about personal choice, it's about what RIM should have addressed since the launch of thier current generation devices.
    I suppose you have a point, but I use more than one browser on each of my computers too. I guess using multiple browsers doesn't bother me a whole lot.
    01-03-10 10:29 PM
    I suppose you have a point, but I use more than one browser on each of my computers too. I guess using multiple browsers doesn't bother me a whole lot.
    Were talking about a mobile device and not a notebook or desktop where we have disk space and memory to spare.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JD914; 01-04-10 at 04:11 AM.
    01-03-10 10:39 PM
    I started using BOLT only in the past week even though I got it months ago and I am loving it. Although it is hard to tell if it is any quicker than the BB Browser, I like the way the pages render, and being able to click links or fill out login info seems to be easier plus it saves your login info for pages you visit often.
    01-03-10 10:42 PM
    I managed not hear about BOLT Browser for about 2 weeks before installing it and LOVING it. To me, it really isn't a question of whether or not it's better than the native BB browser, because I'm keeping both of them for different things.

People complain about the BB Browser, and it does have limitations. But if you set up bookmarks and understand that you should pretty much be exclusively using it for mobile sites designed to be read by handheld devices, there really isn't too much more they can do with it on devices like the Bold, which don't have multi-point touchscreens, etc.

But there are things that the BB Browser cannot do that BOLT does surprisingly well. If you have to view any non-mobile site, or something with drop-down boxes, BOLT is infinitely better. Yes, the text is small, but (a) you can adjust that, and (b) small text is a necessary evil to fitting more information on the screen.

The best example I can give is my Yahoo! Fantasy Sports website. I can load it on the native browser, but it won't even display the active roster or let me make changes. BOLT allows me to do everything I can on a CPU, and since the cursor slides from option to option (instead of freely and imprecisely in space), it's much easier than you'd think to use it.
    01-25-10 11:19 AM
    I managed not hear about BOLT Browser for about 2 weeks before installing it and LOVING it. To me, it really isn't a question of whether or not it's better than the native BB browser, because I'm keeping both of them for different things.

People complain about the BB Browser, and it does have limitations. But if you set up bookmarks and understand that you should pretty much be exclusively using it for mobile sites designed to be read by handheld devices, there really isn't too much more they can do with it on devices like the Bold, which don't have multi-point touchscreens, etc.

But there are things that the BB Browser cannot do that BOLT does surprisingly well. If you have to view any non-mobile site, or something with drop-down boxes, BOLT is infinitely better. Yes, the text is small, but (a) you can adjust that, and (b) small text is a necessary evil to fitting more information on the screen.

The best example I can give is my Yahoo! Fantasy Sports website. I can load it on the native browser, but it won't even display the active roster or let me make changes. BOLT allows me to do everything I can on a CPU, and since the cursor slides from option to option (instead of freely and imprecisely in space), it's much easier than you'd think to use it.
    I agree with what you said about Bolt. However, I use OperaMini 5 beta2 as my primary browser because it is SO much faster than the native browser. Once you use Opera for awhile, going back to the native browser is like watching paint peel...slooooow. I only use the native browser when there is something that Opera can't do, like paste text into the "reply" text field on crackberry wap, which is a bug that should be worked out in the final release.

I reserve Bolt for those times when I need to view a full non-mobile site. It's slow, but it does this surprisingly well!

01-25-10 11:30 AM
    My 8800 uses these browsers: Bolt, OperaMini 4, OperaMini 5, BlackBerry

Best for watching YouTube: BOLT
    Best for site browsing: OperaMini 4
    Best for looking at: OperaMini 5 beta (waiting for bug fixes before it can replace version 4)
    Best for OTA: BlackBerry 4.5

I think OperaMini 5 (final) is going to wipe the floor with Bolt, and I'm looking forward to the competitive struggle. Intergration with other apps is important to me, and its something that Opera are addressing in version 5. For example, which browser opens when you follow a link in Viigo, SMS or Gmail - and why does it have to be that app?
    Last edited by flop; 01-25-10 at 11:53 AM.
    01-25-10 11:46 AM
    I think the one thing I like about Bolt (vs. OM5B2) is the ability to change from in-line typing to an edit box on the fly. If I need to paste text into a field, I can do that from within Bolt with just a menu option. With OperaMini, the edit option has to be changed in the settings, which makes it not as convenient.

That being said, OM5B2 is working a lot faster than Bolt (for me) these days. I still use Bolt on occasion. I find that some sites render better in Bolt than they do in the native browser, or OM5.
    01-25-10 02:54 PM
    I think the one thing I like about Bolt (vs. OM5B2) is the ability to change from in-line typing to an edit box on the fly. If I need to paste text into a field, I can do that from within Bolt with just a menu option. With OperaMini, the edit option has to be changed in the settings, which makes it not as convenient.

That being said, OM5B2 is working a lot faster than Bolt (for me) these days. I still use Bolt on occasion. I find that some sites render better in Bolt than they do in the native browser, or OM5.
    I don't have any options is settings that enable me to paste into a text box. I can copy/paste everywhere else in OM5B2, but not in a text box. I can get the Paste menu to pop up in a text box, but when I click it, the field is still blank.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-25-10 at 03:06 PM.
    01-25-10 02:59 PM
    I figured to give Bolt a whirl as I am tired of the choppy cursor of Opera Mini beta. My 1st impressions is that it is a lot easier to navigate around than Opera. I then tried to access Crackberry from Bolt and well..... I am back to Opera for now

It took 3 times as long to access this site from Bolt than Opera, and I had 5 bars! Great layout and easy to use, but it is way to slow for my liking.

For now I will use BB for 90% of my browsing and Opera the other 10%.
    01-27-10 02:55 PM
    I guess I might as well give Bolt a shot since I been using Opera a lot but still hate the cursor issue. I'll post back later.
    01-27-10 05:33 PM
    offers a way to be the default browser. As always, YMMV.
    I just d/l the Bolt browser along with the BBlauncher app. I cannot find it on my phone to "run" it...any suggestions??
    02-04-10 08:34 PM
    Some downloads go to your "download" folder itself. Check download, applications, settings etc folders. Did you get the " Bolt was successfully installed" message? And : Yeah add me too the list of "Bolt" users. Not impressed with Opera. Not nearly as user friendly as the old Opera.
    Last edited by xshawx; 02-04-10 at 08:59 PM.
    02-04-10 08:56 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD