Hey guys,

This could go in more of a specialty forum, but for the Bold 9000, as I just learned, wow, Bolt is a fantastic browser, more than enough to tide a lot of people over until WebKit hits.

Used to be such a fan of Opera Mini, especially on the older 8800, as it was so much quicker than the native browser, and was more than happy to install it again for use as my primary browser on the 9000. But then I tried out Bolt.

Pros:
    - Unlike Opera Mini, there is no issue with the cursor not being able to position/click on certain links.
    - Renders websites amazingly well, very similar to that of a desktop PC; Bolt's small font allows for a fuller view of the website without having to zoom in, unlike the BB browser/Opera Mini

Ex.) CNN -- whenever I load up cnn.com on either the native BB browser or Opera Mini, it loads the mobile version, which to me, is irritating. With Bolt it displays the full website, but still has an option for Mobile View if you so wish.

- Still supports Opera Mini's shortcut keys -- to be blunt, the trackball/pad is terrible for scrolling down lengthy websites/blogs. So 2 up, 6 right, 8/Spacebar down, 4 left, 5 zoom, shortcuts which I just LOVE.
    - Quicker than the BB native browser
    - Supports the BB Menu button unlike Opera Mini 5 Beta 2

Cons:
    - Not as fast as Opera Mini (but close)
    - No tabbing like Opera Mini
    - Intermittent bug where sometimes Bolt stops responding to clicks/links

My question is why aren't more people using this browser? I rarely hear about Bolt, and in fact installed it on a whim, not knowing it to be as good as it is.
    Last edited by Aspyred; 01-02-10 at 02:05 AM.
    01-02-10 02:03 AM
    I installed Bolt when it first came around, and it was kind of terrible so I deleted it. A few months later there was some buzz about an updated version that was a lot better so I installed it, and it was still not as good as the native browser so I deleted it again. A few months after that they released another version and everyone said it was much improved. I installed it again and still I didn't like it. This was months ago, are you telling me that I should give it another whirl?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 06:32 AM
    I use Bolt all the time now. Tried Opera and was not that impressed. I just like the way the pages are rendered with Bolt.
    Only con I can think of is that when reading through a forum (such as crackberry!) when you go back to the main forum thread page it does not refresh automatically and I cannot find an option for this besides going to menu and hitting reload page. Kind of a pain.
    Much faster than the native browser and much easier to read than native or Opera IMO.
    01-02-10 06:52 AM
    Maybe it is just me but i love the native BB browser, opera I used about 2 years ago when i got my first blackberry (pearl). From then I loved it and tried it again recently as well as bolt and nothing still can not shy away from the bb browser.
    01-02-10 07:09 AM
    Having tried all three browsers the native continues to be my first choice for most uses.

Bolt is installed and used for some sites where fuu page rendering is desirable. Not used on sites where there is lots of change like CB.

Opera has been uninstalled two times and is not in use today. Just never fit my sensibility somehow.

01-02-10 07:15 AM
    I'll try Bolt again, if someone reminds me where to get an invitation.
    01-02-10 07:43 AM
    I use opera and native,
    I tried Bolt,
    The screen/font is just way too small for me, I cant read anything!
    01-02-10 07:51 AM
    I don't use bolt and have deleted it. You can change the font to XL and it will not be so small anymore. I use BB native for all my downloading OTA, and Opera 5 for quicker browsing.
    01-02-10 09:12 AM
    Only con I can think of is that when reading through a forum (such as crackberry!) when you go back to the main forum thread page it does not refresh automatically and I cannot find an option for this besides going to menu and hitting reload page. Kind of a pain.
    Much faster than the native browser and much easier to read than native or Opera IMO.
    That con you mention, I just love. Totally a pro for me, except for the fact it isn't easy to reload a page on Bolt. On Opera Mini 5 b2, it's simply *0, easy peasy.

But what I mean is I just hated the auto-reloading of pages on my previous iPhone. When I would re-open Safari sometimes ie. maybe after replying to a text message, I'd have to wait for the website to reload itself, agonizing even over Wi-Fi. Or sometimes, I'd hit the wrong link, so when I hit back, I'd have to wait for the website *again* to be refreshed.

Now doesn't sound like a big deal unless you happen to be on an image intensive website and have to wait for eeeeverything to be re-downloaded again. And Safari doesn't remember your position in the page sometimes too, so you gotta flick your way back, yay. Go caching.

On Bolt, as with OM, I can always hit back multiple times to go back multiple pages with NO wait time. It's great.
    Last edited by Aspyred; 01-02-10 at 09:32 AM.
    01-02-10 09:30 AM
    I'll try Bolt again, if someone reminds me where to get an invitation.
    Invitation? You are hereby officially invited to download Bolt OTA by clicking HERE from your BB browser.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-02-10 at 09:57 AM.
    01-02-10 09:45 AM
    How do you avoid it taking over the default browser position. I want the native bb browser as my default when I click on a link in an email.
    01-02-10 10:32 AM
    How do you avoid it taking over the default browser position. I want the native bb browser as my default when I click on a link in an email.
    It shouldn't become the default browser until you apply the launcher plugin.

The OTA link for Bolt as the non-default browser is HERE, which is the link I posted above. The plugin to make it the default browser is HERE, and is to be applied after installation of the first link.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-25-10 at 11:34 AM.
    01-02-10 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the link. I had 1.5 but this one, 1.6, is loading everything very slowly.
    01-02-10 11:56 AM
    Pros:
    - Unlike Opera Mini, there is no issue with the cursor not being able to position/click on certain links.
    Ex.) CNN -- whenever I load up cnn.com on either the native BB browser or Opera Mini, it loads the mobile version, which to me, is irritating. With Bolt it displays the full website, but still has an option for Mobile View if you so wish.
    Regarding the above items, the cursor position issue is in a beta version--the release version doesn't have this issue.

The page served up to the browser is determined by the Web site, not the browser. More Web site recognize (or have programmed for) Opera Mini as a mobile browser. That's why you see mobile pages. You should ask the Webmaster to change it.
    BOLT clearly has tow user agents that Web site will recognize as desktop or mobile. That's a consequence of not being as widely used--an advantage in this case.

I use Opera Mini most of the time. For some reason Bitstream refuses to add a single column view to BOLT. Without that, I'm not likely to give it much use as I don't like having to move a zoom box around the page to find something. I prefer Opera Mini 4.2, but 5 beta usually load pages faster so I use it when not on WiFi.
    01-02-10 12:10 PM
    Regarding the above items, the cursor position issue is in a beta version--the release version doesn't have this issue.

The page served up to the browser is determined by the Web site, not the browser. More Web site recognize (or have programmed for) Opera Mini as a mobile browser. That's why you see mobile pages. You should ask the Webmaster to change it.
    BOLT clearly has tow user agents that Web site will recognize as desktop or mobile. That's a consequence of not being as widely used--an advantage in this case.

I use Opera Mini most of the time. For some reason Bitstream refuses to add a single column view to BOLT. Without that, I'm not likely to give it much use as I don't like having to move a zoom box around the page to find something. I prefer Opera Mini 4.2, but 5 beta usually load pages faster so I use it when not on WiFi.
    I normally prefer the mobile version too, as I don't need to re-focus my zoom as often, but since Bolt renders the full website so well, (sans zooming) I tend to well prefer the full site.
    01-03-10 01:21 AM
    Just dl Bolt, been playing with it. I thought Bolt was supposed to be faster than the native Bb browser? This thing is a lot slower.
    01-03-10 07:08 AM
    Installed Bolt, played with it, deleted it (again), it's junk.
    01-03-10 10:56 AM
    Well, one thing - when RIM went "offline" last week, the Bolt browser still worked as it does not rely on Rim's network apparently.
    01-03-10 11:14 AM
    I've downloaded both Bolt and Opera Mini several times over the past nine or ten months, and each time I've been amazed at the positive buzz they seem to generate from some BlackBerry users. What's the big deal? The native BB browser consistently works better and faster than either of these two third-party browsers. Don't waste your time.....
    01-03-10 01:11 PM
    Both are great alternatives. The built-in browser is simply not up to snuff when dealing with modern pages, and I'd like to get the full experience on the go, not settle for the limited mobile version if possible (isn't that what 3G is for?). In the end, I settled on Bolt because of it more consistently provides a desktop-like view and offers a way to be the default browser. As always, YMMV.
    01-03-10 03:38 PM
    Hey guys,

This could go in more of a specialty forum, but for the Bold 9000, as I just learned, wow, Bolt is a fantastic browser, more than enough to tide a lot of people over until WebKit hits.

Used to be such a fan of Opera Mini, especially on the older 8800, as it was so much quicker than the native browser, and was more than happy to install it again for use as my primary browser on the 9000. But then I tried out Bolt.

Pros:
    - Renders websites amazingly well, very similar to that of a desktop PC; Bolt's small font allows for a fuller view of the website without having to zoom in, unlike the BB browser/Opera Mini

- Still supports Opera Mini's shortcut keys -- to be blunt, the trackball/pad is terrible for scrolling down lengthy websites/blogs. So 2 up, 6 right, 8/Spacebar down, 4 left, 5 zoom, shortcuts which I just LOVE.
    - Quicker than the BB native browser
    - Supports the BB Menu button unlike Opera Mini 5 Beta 2

Cons:
    - Not as fast as Opera Mini (but close)
    - No tabbing like Opera Mini
    - Intermittent bug where sometimes Bolt stops responding to clicks/links

My question is why aren't more people using this browser? I rarely hear about Bolt, and in fact installed it on a whim, not knowing it to be as good as it is.
    I'm running .423 on 9700 and Opera mini 5 beta 2 is definitely the best browser. Its by far better than bolt and native. The only issue I have with opera is that you cannot set it as default and you cannot download files on it. Other than that its the best. Extremely fast, no bugs what so ever.

01-03-10 04:25 PM
    I've downloaded both Bolt and Opera Mini several times over the past nine or ten months, and each time I've been amazed at the positive buzz they seem to generate from some BlackBerry users. What's the big deal? The native BB browser consistently works better and faster than either of these two third-party browsers. Don't waste your time.....
    Glad that works well for you but for some of us the BB browser is painfully slow, even with javascript turned off. In my experience, Opera Mini is the fastest, BOLT is second and the BB browser is last.
    01-03-10 06:07 PM
    I tried 1.5, 1.6. Both blew chunks on my Sprint 8330m.
    I'll try the next upgrade too but for now Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 smokes Bolt.

01-03-10 06:27 PM
    Respect to all the comments but I can't help but notice the cinsistant comparison of a desktop pc. Isn't this a mobile phn or a laptop? I have used bolt as well and now new to the opera beta, however bolt is faster than the bb browser but opera is a lot smoother and fits the phn very well. As time goes by websites built for phns should rember according to phn browsers comparison. Bolt is nice to achive the wider screen browse but mobile vew looks better on the given screen. Bigger phn screen will indeed look better. Give and take oper fits the 9000 screen better in my opinion so does the bb browser. The bb browser is great for a simple light weight that can give so much on the bold. I will not be using bolt any more or as much so I have to delete it. Oper is my second hand chooice after the bbb for now until something else comes a lot to replace opera beta.
    01-03-10 08:10 PM
    I found the original beta of Bolt unusable. This new version is pretty nice, but is still not quite as usable for me as the native browser. However it's good enough for me to keep and use on occasion, depending on what site I'm on. There are a few key issues worth noting:

1) Start-up wiht Bolt is slow (I'm on an 8900, running 5.0.0.438 OS). The native browser is, I suppose, always running in the background, so startup is virtually instantaneous with the native one. Bolt, on the other hand, takes several seconds to load up, so there's a noticeable lag anytime I open it.

2) One Bolt has loaded, the web pages seem to render quickly -- although I'm not sure they really load more quickly than the native browser. With Bolt, they seem to "snap" onto the screen -- it's a very crisp delivery, and the effect makes it feel responsive. In the end, though, I'm not sure if the whole page actually loads faster than with the native browser.

2) I DO like the way Bolt handles trackball navigation over links on web pages. Much easier to roll over and select a link in Bolt than it is in the BB Browser. Subtle difference in sensitivity to trackball action, but in Bolt it feels like the cursor snaps to each highlighted link -- I can navigate websites faster in Bolt as a result.

3) Page rendering in Bolt is excellent, Youtube works within the web page -- all good.

One thing that sounds small is a huge factor for me -- one key page zooming. On most pages, I find the fonts a bit too small to read comfortably, and I like to scroll around a page at default size, and then zoom in if an article interests me. In the native browser, I simply click "i" to zoom in, and "o" to zoom back out. In Bolt, I have to go into preferences and actually select a different font size -- no easy browsing (or if there is, I couldn't find it in Help). This is really a big issue for me, and makes it far easier for me to use the native browser than Bolt for many sites. This is the biggest single issue preventing me from using Bolt more often...
    01-03-10 09:08 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD