This is as much of a "vent" post as a "can you help me" post.

Message to the programmers of Bolt, if you're listening: you're in the wrong business. You belong in the government, adding red tape to an already slow-poked enterprise. You'd be PERFECT for it.

What I'm referring to is the "20%" lockup I've always received with Bolt, all versions (including the new Beta 2.01). Why?! No kiddding, on my Bold 9000 with OS 4.6, for the past TWENTY MINUTES I have been trying to go to the full GMail site (the other browsers "mobile-dumb it down") and I STILL can't get where I want, because of continual lockups. Is it really that impossible for them to fix this?

I've given up, and gone to Opera Mini 4.2 to post this. Totally ridiculous.

If Bolt can't do any better than this, they need to go out of business, or follow my earlier suggestion.

Anyone else having the same gripe?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 11:10 AM
    works pretty good for me. Is it possible for you to try OS 5? Maybe it just works better on OS 5.

Personally, i think Bolt is the best browser we have, for now... Opera Mini is fast, but I hate mobile sites. Bolt is damn near as fast for me too.
    04-20-10 11:56 AM
    Bolt 2.02 is running on my 9000 with 4.6 OS. In my hands this remains the best of the browsers available outside the native. I get the 20% lockup occasionally but not every time on every site. Annoying.

For CrackBerry I vastly prefer the native browser and WAP forums m.crackberry.com. Bolt does not refresh quickly enough in active forums.

And Opera has been tried and deleted too many times to count. Just not my taste in a browser.
    04-20-10 12:20 PM
    To me, neither browser quite does it on its own.

Opera Mini 5

Pros
    Much, much, much, much, much, MUCH faster (did I mention it's faster?)
    Highlight-Copy-paste of webpage content works (can never get Bolt's to work)
    Better zoom in-out method (no dorky split-screen)

Cons
    Ditches the Blackberry-style menus
    Posting in forums like this often-times doesn't work correctly
    Can't initiate the Blackberry-style textbox
    Often-times forces the mobile version of a site to load

Bolt (2.02 Beta)

Pros
    Doesn't "force-mobile" sites (as OM does on occasion)
    Retains the Blackberry-style menus & text-editing box

Cons
    20% Bug, the 20% Bug, THE 20 PERCENT BUG!! (sorry, it is that nerve-wracking)
    Awkward zoom in-out method vs Opera Mini
    Slower than Opera Mini even when both are loading similar sites (mobile/full) and 20% bug not occurring
    Highlighting and copying-pasting of site content buggy, almost unusable

It's too bad that either browser, to me, has so many drawbacks. If, say, the Opera Mini browser would bring back the Blackberry-style interface & text-editor box and not "force mobile" certain sites, or Bolt could cure itself of the 20% bug & speed issue, not have the ******** "split screen" zoom in-out method, and its highlighting of site content for copy-paste actually worked right, you'd have a browser good enough to use for pretty much everything.
    04-20-10 02:08 PM
    I used Bolt for several iterations on my 8330. Every version had the 20% bug on about half the webpages visited. I had to ditch it. Won't bother again until I hear that bug's been killed dead.

I think it's clear that it happens to enough people to be considered a major problem. I used to manage software testing (back in the CD-ROM days!) and no program with this level of bugginess would ever have made it to the marketplace. It belongs in testing **** until it's fixed.
    04-20-10 02:25 PM
    Are you ****ing me? H E double hockey-sticks gets the asterix treatment? You gotta be ****ing me? Are we that afraid of words? That one's not even a swear word! Are we in kindergarten here?
    04-20-10 02:29 PM
    Anyone herd of a release date yet for BlackBerry users
    04-20-10 02:36 PM
    Using Bolt 2.0 on my Curve 8330 OS 4.5 and loving it!! Works great for me. No more hang up's at the 20% since I installed 2.0. Very fast.
    04-20-10 02:48 PM
    Bolt hung up every time on 4.6 and 5.0. Opera doesn't display pages in a way that makes them readable. Native is the only one that can do everything that I need with NO problems.
    04-20-10 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD