I downloaded the Bolt beta last night on the Tour and am blown away. I have tried almsot all alternative browsers and almost all versions of these browsers. Bolt 2.0 is a dream. It's quick, renders pages accurately and renders video beautifully. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 07:13 AM
    I have it on my Curve 8330 and like it also. For me it's much easier to understand and navigate then OperaMini 5. The cursor responses much better than Opera. My pages also load very fast. They should use a different font that is nicer....but you can't have everything. It works better on some phones and not so good on others. My Curve 8330 is limited on memory and such (great workhorse of a phone) but I am happy with Bolt 2.0. Love the tabs!!!!
    04-03-10 07:45 AM
    Anyone have experience using Opera Mini 5 Beta compared to this? I'm loving the Opera beta, it's blazing fast and the interface is great IMO, I was wondering how Bolt compares. I only used the older version.
    04-03-10 09:47 AM
    OM5 is out of beta and performs better. Faster, and resource management is superior. Bolt may be good down the line.

04-03-10 10:04 AM
    Bolt 2.0 is an absolute disaster on storm2s. Clearly not developed with touch screens in mind.

04-03-10 12:21 PM
    Bolt is just as fast as Opera 5 on my phone. I much prefer Bolt over Opera. I hate Opera's UI, however, Opera on the Storm is just awesome.

I ran a quick test of Opera 5 and Bolt 2 for downloading video's, and Bolt was noticeably faster, over Wifi.

I think Bolt 2 is awesome!
    04-03-10 02:32 PM
    Bolt is growing on me, however I still use BB browser for most things because I like the way it works better. I do use Bolt for certain pages that just don't work right with BB browser. Like I said though, Bolt is growing on me and I am liking it more and more.
    04-03-10 03:39 PM
    Where can I find this

04-03-10 04:45 PM
    Blackberry app world
    04-03-10 06:24 PM
    Where can I find this

Go to Google. Type Bolt Browser. Here, let me Google that for you.

http://tinyurl.com/ckvo7b

04-03-10 07:19 PM
    Bolt 2.0 is an absolute disaster on storm2s. Clearly not developed with touch screens in mind.

Huh? Works like a dream for me.
    04-03-10 07:26 PM
    Obviously I googled it, but on their website they only had 1.7..

04-03-10 07:48 PM
    And again, appworld only has 1.7

04-03-10 07:50 PM
    Google Bolt 2 Beta. I clicked on the first link, scrolled down and clicked on Bolt 2.

BOLT Browser 2.0 Beta- Download

04-03-10 08:42 PM
    Have they added a zoom function to 2.0?
    04-03-10 09:54 PM
    Have they added a zoom function to 2.0?
    They have a magnification setting in the prefs, but better than that they have a split screen option that magnifies the text in a box at the bottom of the screen. I think it works great especially on text heavy pages.

04-03-10 10:05 PM
    The magnification option is very nice... wish you could move between them on the fly but at least being able to set the default magnification higher returns the bolt to being a very usable browser for me.
    04-03-10 10:38 PM
    The magnification option is very nice... wish you could move between them on the fly but at least being able to set the default magnification higher returns the bolt to being a very usable browser for me.
    You can! Toggle with the 5 (D) key.

04-04-10 06:08 PM
    I like bolt, don't like opera's mobile default view, didn't like the poor memory consequences (bolt suffers heavily here too) and wasn't too happy with exiting clicking yes etc etc.

Om5 is very pretty and usable, I imagine it would be much nicer on storm.

Bolt is to the point and renders as a pc would. Even includes embedded video even thoh video playing blows.

04-04-10 06:48 PM
    I love the fact that Bolt renders pages like the pc...I wish OM5 had this capability b/c Bolt is PAINFULLY slow!!! And my more often than not gets stuck around 20% for download....but I guess it's still better than the native browser.
    04-05-10 12:12 PM
    Try uninstalling it, rebooting, install and reboot again.

The only time I had the horrible hanging, this seemed to solve it for me, even though I do clean installs all the time.

It is weird that performance is so different from person to person. That's just how it is, I guess, I'm not doubting anyone. I guess Bolt has always liked my phone. This latest version is really fast over Wifi, just as fast as Opera 5 and at times even faster even if Opera loads a mobile site. Crackberry is still slow, but it iis slow on every damn browser I try! Even my gaming rig. Usually pages start to render from 6% to 13%, CB can take up to 18%-22% for some reason. (This is on Wifi, http connection)

I am quite happy with this release.
    04-05-10 01:19 PM
    Try uninstalling it, rebooting, install and reboot again.

The only time I had the horrible hanging, this seemed to solve it for me, even though I do clean installs all the time.

It is weird that performance is so different from person to person. That's just how it is, I guess, I'm not doubting anyone. I guess Bolt has always liked my phone. This latest version is really fast over Wifi, just as fast as Opera 5 and at times even faster even if Opera loads a mobile site. Crackberry is still slow, but it iis slow on every damn browser I try! Even my gaming rig. Usually pages start to render from 6% to 13%, CB can take up to 18%-22% for some reason. (This is on Wifi, http connection)

I am quite happy with this release.
    thanks, I'll give this a try
    04-05-10 01:45 PM
    I just used Bolt 2.0 for the first time today, and I noticed the + sign at the top right. It appeared to be tabbed browsing!?!

Does Opera Mini 5.0 have this? I uninstalled it awhile ago due to it being laggy on my phone, but I might have to give it another try if it also has tabbed browsing.
    04-12-10 05:56 PM
    Opera has tabbed browsing, too.

04-12-10 06:28 PM
    I am trying this out as well, in fact this morning it had updated to 2.02 (I installed it).

I have Opera Mini 4.2 and 5 final installed together, as well as Bolt 1.7 and this 2.02 beta. I've typically preferred Opera Mini especially with Bolt's "20% bug" & because I prefer how Opera Mini handles zooming in & out (don't like Bolt's split screen deal). However with the Beta I'm starting to have a change of heart. I haven't seen as much of the "20% bug" and I like how it has retained the Blackberry menu. I also don't like the interface of OM 5 final, with things such as how you can't jump a whole page at once when scrolling through bookmarks, & you can't invoke the Blackberry text box with form entries (for better visibility & ability to invoke all the textbox commands). I also dislike how some sites are forced into a "mobile dumbdown rendering" with Opera Mini, Bolt sticks to the PC-style; if I want mobile, I'll choose the mobile version (like I'm doing now using OM 4.2 and wapforums.crackberry.com to post this).

If Bolt would lose the split-screen zoom-out and just do a "normal" zoom in-out setup, I'd be all but 100% converted.

Last edited by larrytxeast; 04-13-10 at 09:04 AM.
    04-13-10 09:02 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD