Its out. Downloaded it and have been messing with it for the last half hour or so and I must say it sucks just as much as 1.7. Connection still gets stuck at 20%. Sometimes it won't even go that far, the loading bar appears and immediately disappears. Tabs work properly but there's no point if the browser never has a consistent connection to their servers. I hope I'm not the only one reporting these things to them. Its a shame because the browser renders pages perfectly...
    03-23-10 09:51 AM
    Change the connection to Socket to stay connected to their servers.

Delete Bolt, reboot. Install Bolt, reboot. This completely solved any 20% lag I had with the last 2 versions! Bolt is flying on my phone, even over Edge. It is seriously as fast as the latest Opera 5 full release.
    03-23-10 10:03 AM
    theres no flick scrolling like in the native browser and opera 5. That is a defenite deal breaker. Plus i dont like the UI never have and probrably never will. Im just soooooooooooo use to opera. Just my opinion.
    03-23-10 10:03 AM
    Change the connection to Socket to stay connected to their servers.

Delete Bolt, reboot. Install Bolt, reboot. This completely solved any 20% lag I had with the last 2 versions! Bolt is flying on my phone, even over Edge. It is seriously as fast as the latest Opera 5 full release.
    I guess you've been luckier than me. I always do clean installs and use socket and its been an issue since version 1.5. Seems to be an issue with more and more people with every new version.
    03-23-10 10:18 AM
    I am loving it so far. I deleted Opera .
    I think its fast as well.
    03-23-10 10:28 AM
    Playing second fiddle to opera until there's some form of zoom functionality, I'm using bolt right now on the full site, renders the pages well and very quick, I want to be able to have an overview though, of the whole site.
    03-23-10 10:34 AM
    I've given it another try. It won't be my main browser, but I'm going to test it out. I really feel it has potential but I wish they would change the UI. I may be missing something, but I'd prefer to double click to zoom incrementally (similar to the native browser). I would also like to not have to use the BB button to go back to previous page or enter url, etc. I used to have problems with some of the older version locking up on me so I've deleted them. I'm going to have an open mind and see how this one works for me.
    Last edited by Socadaddy; 03-23-10 at 11:43 AM.
    03-23-10 10:49 AM
    so far I think it's extremely fast. the connection walks up to about 11% and then, the whole page loads flawlessly and immediately. I think it would be great to be able to zoom a little more, even though I wear bifocals, my 48 year old eyes are getting worse....but the 3X font is still large enough
    03-23-10 11:14 AM
    Its a absolute crap ! Prefer Opera Mini 5 !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 11:24 AM
    I've give it another try. It won't be my main browser, but I'm going to test it out. I really feel it has potential but I wash they would change the UI. I may be missing something, but I'd prefer to double click to zoom incrementally. I would also like to not have to use the BB button to go back to previous page or enter url, etc. I used to have problems with some of the older version locking up on me so I've deleted them. I'm going to have an open mind and see how this one works for me.
    Maybe it's different for the Storm version, but the "back" button has worked with Bolt on the past few builds.

It actually has a downside. I use BerryPopUp and usually clear them with the back button. If you have the browser up and receive a pop up and clear it with back, Bolt will also go back one page. Opera or Native Browser do not react in this way.

I don't think Storm users will ever really get the functionality they want until a native touchscreen version is released. It seems like Bolt was really just made for cheap Java phones, added some function to support the BB. This is completely my opinion, I don't have any history with Bolt. I just really think the whole Bolt and Opera comparison is really an apples to oranges kind of thing. It seems Bolt has came a long way, really.

I would love to see a slight UI improvement. Nothing like Opera's, I actually hate Opera's UI. Add some more native BB functionality that the stock browser has. I would be really happy with Bolt. However, if native Webkit is near I doubt many of us will be using Bolt or Opera much at all. They won't really have any advantage. Well, i guess tabs...
    Last edited by Blacklac; 03-23-10 at 11:48 AM.
    03-23-10 11:39 AM
    Functionality-wise, I feel Bolt 2.0 wins. Tabbed browsing is simple, much like on a desktop and clicking links or submitting text actually has the desired behavior. However, it just looks wrong to me. What's up with that weird little font? Opera is the clear winner in that regard. I also hate Opera's clumsy GUI, but at least the pages and interface are more legible. Also, Bolt bugs me by locking up the mouse every time it loads any data.

Opera just released a new version of OM5 for BB, which fixes a couple bugs. I'm sticking with them and hoping the patch the others soon.
    03-23-10 12:01 PM
    I just spent 10 minutes trying to bookmark the site I'm on in Bolt and can't figure it out. Am I blind or is the UI just that bad?
    03-23-10 12:23 PM
    I just spent 10 minutes trying to bookmark the site I'm on in Bolt and can't figure it out. Am I blind or is the UI just that bad?
    BB button. Add favorite I believe is the way.

My $.02. Love it. The new incarnation keeps Bolt on my phone as the first choice for most websites. I'll stay with the native browser for CB forums and some other sites.
    03-23-10 12:34 PM
    BB button. Add favorite I believe is the way.

My $.02. Love it. The new incarnation keeps Bolt on my phone as the first choice for most websites. I'll stay with the native browser for CB forums and some other sites.

I don't have that option in the menu when on a site...

I also hate that you can't hit the 'enter' key to enter a URL.. You have to click the ball

A lot of sites are also timing out on me that work fine on the native browser and Opera

I find myself reinstalling Bolt once a month or so. I want to like it. It just isn't there yet.
    03-23-10 12:39 PM
    I don't have that option in the menu when on a site...

I also hate that you can't hit the 'enter' key to enter a URL.. You have to click the ball
    There must be big differences between the 9000 incarnation and the 9630 version. I can use the enter key and have the add favorite option on all the sites I just loaded. No real variation.

Loading is still a little slow but not one site timed out yet.

More to come in time. For now I am having fun playing around to see what this will do. I am sorry you are not having the same fine experience.
    03-23-10 12:43 PM
    Can anyone post the link for 2.0? I go to the Bolt website and only 1.7 seems to be the current one.

03-23-10 03:08 PM
    Can anyone post the link for 2.0? I go to the Bolt website and only 1.7 seems to be the current one.
    The link for 2.0 may be found in this front page post: http://crackberry.com/ctia-2010-bolt...iving-tomorrow
    Just under the graphic image.
    03-23-10 03:34 PM
    Does anyone know where to get new fonts for Bolt? There's an option to install fonts but the only one listed is the default cyrillic...
    03-23-10 04:14 PM
    Still not as fast as Opera Mini 4.2 for the Curve 8330. Maybe it performs better on the newer devices.
    03-23-10 05:28 PM
    just downloaded it and tried it out. it's pretty nice, but (like with opera) i'll probably just use it now and again and keep using the blackberry browser instead. i don't know why.
    03-23-10 05:38 PM
    Are all of you limited to only 3 tabbed windows?
    03-23-10 05:51 PM
    Well as for me it is a lot faster than the previous version. It also works well on my storm.

03-23-10 06:02 PM
    I use BerryPopUp and usually clear them with the back button. If you have the browser up and receive a pop up and clear it with back, Bolt will also go back one page. Opera or Native Browser do not react in this way.
    You could always mute BerryPopup when you're using Bolt... you'll still get the LED notifying you something came in. BerryPopup just gets in my way when I'm trying to browse with purpose rather than just surfing. I love the mute feature.

Anyway, this version of Bolt looks like the same crappy version I tried last time only with tabs. I still hate the font, the lack of a zoom, the inconsistent behavior, and on a Bold, usually switching between page or column view is all I have to do to make any page work in the native browser. I igt be due for another Opera test, but as many times as I try Bolt, I still just don't feel inclined to leave it cluttering up my phone.
    03-23-10 06:18 PM
    As much as I hate the cracked out cursor on opera mini 5.... I prefer the opera to the new bolt. Bolt seems faster...but only slightly faster. The zooming in function is kind of stupid on the bolt browser.
    03-23-10 06:25 PM
    Are all of you limited to only 3 tabbed windows?

Wow I didn't notice that until your post. That sucks. I'm sure they did it for performance reasons though.
    03-23-10 08:24 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD