06-03-10 04:21 AM
67 123
tools
    I've been asked to create a 'downloadable' BB desktop icon for my company. Would these same tools (on this thread) apply. This is one that we want to have customers download onto their BB's to get easy access to our services.

(Like what you can download from ESPN....)

Thank you
    03-20-08 05:21 PM
    First time post here so please take it easy on me.

I have done all of the above and it is working except for shortcut #10. On my Pearl I have set shortcut 10 to be MSN and when I move to the shortcut the title appears as >MSN and when I click on the shortcut it says something about the protocol specified is not supported. I have copied shortcut #9 and changed the 9 to ten and I get the same results. Anyone else having this problem? Below is my config:

<shortcut10>http://mobile.msn.com</shortcut10>
    <title10>MSN</title10>
    It's a problem the author is looking to fix in next release... i.e. 10th shortcut
    03-20-08 05:31 PM
    I had no problems. Took me about 30 seconds.

03-31-08 09:01 PM
    I got it to work fine, but everytime I connect to desktop manager my home screen pic resets back to default. Anyone else seen this?
    05-12-08 01:44 AM
    -----

If this is such a good program, why does it make us to all the gut work (programming)? I don't get it.

-----
    06-04-08 05:19 PM
    The "programming" isn't all that hard .. just typing in a few links. No other way to go about it really.
    06-04-08 05:24 PM
    What seems to be missing in these discussions is a critical step!

Installing the application with the Desktop Manager. That's what puts the actual application in place to utilize the .xml file and .png. You have to select the Application Loader and then select the code in the zip file for each shortcut.
    06-09-08 04:41 PM
    Good point. Definitely good to have in there ...
    06-09-08 07:34 PM
    I got it to work but the icons don't show up on my screen just the black folders.
    06-18-08 07:53 PM
    Try clicking the icons. If you did it correctly they will show. Its a limit of the coding that they show the default icons at first.
    06-18-08 07:56 PM
    I've tried clicking them and they open the browser and go to the correct site but the icon never shows up. The png's are 32x32 and I put them in the shortcut folder and named them shortcut1.png etc. etc. and I'm able to explore the media card from the BB and I can see them. I tried a battery pull too just in case. I did notice that when I explore the media card via the BB the png's have png in the name twice (shortcut1.png.png)
    06-18-08 08:07 PM
    I've got an 8330 4.3 and the shortcut folder and the png's are in my Media.
    06-18-08 08:12 PM
    hmm tough to say. If the links work then the XML is correct, so it has to be something with the shortcut locations or names I would think. Paste you config.xml and I'll see if I can spot it.
    06-19-08 09:18 AM
    I am using this right now for Xbox.com and youtube.
    As you can see.
    06-19-08 12:18 PM
    Nice! I've used it on and off for a lot .. settled now on Youtube and eBay. There are some sweet icons here that look awesome on Berry's: PNG Icons & Icon Packs Download | IconsPedia
    06-19-08 12:26 PM
    Nice! I've used it on and off for a lot .. settled now on Youtube and eBay. There are some sweet icons here that look awesome on Berry's: PNG Icons & Icon Packs Download | IconsPedia
    Thanks i been looking for some ideas on icons.
    06-19-08 12:51 PM
    I am using this right now for Xbox.com and youtube.
    As you can see.
    Where did you find that Xbox icon?
    06-19-08 06:51 PM
    hmm tough to say. If the links work then the XML is correct, so it has to be something with the shortcut locations or names I would think. Paste you config.xml and I'll see if I can spot it.
    <config>
    <shortcut1>http://xbox.icmsp.com/xbox/sx425544xsen/ct/</shortcut1>
    <title1>Xbox 360 icon-32</title1>
    <shortcut2>http://m.youtube.com/?warned=1&v2=1&locale=en_US</shortcut2>
    <title2>Youtube</title2>
    <shortcut3>http://m.myspace.com/offdeckverus/login.wap</shortcut3>
    <title3>MySpace</title3>
    <shortcut4>http://www.google.com/xhtml</shortcut4>
    <title4>Google</title4>
    <shortcut5></shortcut5>
    <title5></title5>
    <shortcut6></shortcut6>
    <title6></title6>
    <shortcut7></shortcut7>
    <title7></title7>
    <shortcut8></shortcut8>
    <title8></title8>
    <shortcut9></shortcut9>
    <title9></title9>
    <shortcut10></shortcut10>
    <title10></title10>
    </config>
    06-19-08 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the links.
    06-19-08 07:00 PM
    I cannot get the program to work for my pearl 8130. Is it compatible?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 08:21 PM
    When I install the short it gives me a null error. Is this because I am on the new firmware?
    07-22-08 09:45 AM
    When I install the short it gives me a null error. Is this because I am on the new firmware?
    I used it find on 4.5 .. its possible it could not work on your device however.
    07-22-08 09:49 AM
    Hey BlackberryB,

I was having the same problems with mine. I think you might be using the older version of the Shortcut Creator, where it actually puts a HUB program on your BB for you to edit the shortcuts.

The new program was linked on the first page of this thread, but it was kinda inconspicuous. You can find it here http://northcubed.com/products/black...thshortcut.zip

And then if you go to page 2 of this thread azeis has some EXCELLENT instructions on how to use the package.

I'm not sure if you have to actually install all 10 of the icons if you aren't going to use them... However, I did and just hid the ones I am not using!

I really think a lot of people would get value from this thread... perhaps it should be made as a sticky? I know when I was first searching for this kind of solution I came across the old program which didn't work on mine and then had to do even more searching.

Anyway, thanks to those people who have helped to clarify how this program works. It is excellent, just a small tech challenge for some!
    08-11-08 02:25 AM
    the links to the "new version" of this software are all dead. As a noob in this blackberry world i can't believe that the task of making a clickable shortcut icon to a website is akin to quantum physics.
    09-23-08 04:03 PM
    I too would like this application, but the links are dead to the new version. Is it possible for someone to upload it somewhere?
    09-29-08 11:28 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD