Hi all,

Is it possible to run a web server into a BlackBerry ?

Does such application exist ?
    03-21-09 04:27 PM
    You **ARE** joking right?!
    03-21-09 06:45 PM
    You **ARE** joking right?!
    No, I'm not joking.

Technically it is possible.

BB is a device connected to the Internet with an IP address.

We just need a Java Web Server ported to BB and a Dynamic DNS Java program too.
    03-22-09 09:35 AM
    lol why would you want a BB as a web server in the first place?
    With the right programmer it's definitely probably possible too but why?
    03-22-09 10:27 AM
    To host my web site.
    Actually I host it at 3DGWebhosting and pay $30.00/month.

It�s a small site with only pictures and static html pages.
    03-22-09 10:31 AM
    To host my web site.

You want to host a website on your phone? If you are doing any amount of traffic on it your cell provider is going to cut you off not to mention the idea just sounds bad to begin with. How much monthly traffic (gb) are you doing on your website?
    Last edited by Shao128; 03-22-09 at 10:44 AM.
    03-22-09 10:41 AM
    To host my web site.

LOL that is some funny stuff. I don't think it is reliable enough,. I have Verizon and when using slacker radio or Flycast, they would stop the music after a couple of minutes of use because they get disconnected.
    03-22-09 10:43 AM
    You want to host a website on your phone? If you are doing any amount of traffic on it your cell provider is going to cut you off not to mention the idea just sounds bad to begin with. How much monthly traffic (gb) are you doing on your website?
    The amount of traffic will be less than if I'm listening music, so this is not a problem.
    I have an unlimited data plan with my carrier.
    03-22-09 11:52 AM
    Then why not just get another webhost? If you use that little traffic you can get a shared server hosting for less than $30.00 for the year.
    03-22-09 12:14 PM
    If I can do this on BB, I don't need to pay for it with another webhosting service.
    03-22-09 03:03 PM
    if you use a WLAN to access internet you wnt have to pay for traffic either.. actually i�m also very interested in an app for this.

possibilities for something like this would be limitless..

Imagine hosting a webpage that uses someonelse's net connection!!!. hmmm.. might also be elegal.. but .. still interested
    03-22-09 04:46 PM
    BB is a device connected to the Internet with an IP address.
    Your BB IP address is not static and is routed through the BB servers to your wireless provider. Your domain name server could not be linked to it.

Do you have a domain name ... how is it presently hosted?
    Better for you to use a free file share server.
    03-22-09 08:23 PM
    It�s not routed through the BB servers if I�m only using my carrier data plan (not BIS).
    For the not static IP we need a Dynamic DNS Java program.
    03-22-09 08:39 PM
    There are a ton of very low cost web hosting sites out there that will do what you want for only about $5 a month. Then you could add scripts, SQL servers, email, FTP and all the other "normal" web hosting fun things.
    03-23-09 07:18 AM
    There are a ton of very low cost web hosting sites out there that will do what you want for only about $5 a month. Then you could add scripts, SQL servers, email, FTP and all the other "normal" web hosting fun things.
    Hi trucky,
    I know about other web hosting sites.

My first question was:
    Is it possible to run a web server into a BlackBerry ?
    03-23-09 07:53 AM
    The probability of this working correctly, even given the correct software on the phone, isn't likely.

Like most home ISP's, my "assumption" would be that they wouldn't allow port 80 (or other traffic, for that matter) requests to go to your phone. The traffic IS routed through your carrier, which is how you receive your dynamic IP address.

Additionally, the upstream speed from your Blackberry is probably not enough to host a website. It doesn't seem like it would be that much, but these devices (and the networks they are on) are definitely not made to upload any serious amounts of data.
    03-23-09 08:03 AM
    I'm starting to conceive a use case, where a Javascript application might want to POST HTTP data (e.g. offline-collected navigation information) to a loopback web service in order to have persistent storage for the long-running Javascript application.

A nicer solution to this problem is provided by Google Gears, but this (and general access to sqlite3) is apparently unavailable for the Curve and/or the 4.6 OS installed on my Curve.

Has anyone else worked on this problem space on a lesser RIM OS version?

-james

11-01-09 10:42 PM
    I can tell you this. (worked in the hosting industry for 9 yrs).

If you had a web server on your BB you would not be able to access through the CDMA/GSM network. Its too likely that ports are blocked, proxied, etc etc.. If it were to work, it would gain popularity, everyone would be doing it and verizon would catch it, block it, and start selling it as a service for 150 a month haha.

HOWEVER! if you have a wlan access capable phone and it's setup correclty, then it would work without any problems whatsoever. I thought about this idea about a year ago. Would be sort of funny walking into a 150,000 square ft data center with racks of blackberry devices.

The only bad thing is the wifi connection would have to be persistent, which really isnt a viable option for a mobile phone.

Anyways one does exist already:

crackberry.com/portaserver-mini-web-server-your-wifi-capable-blackberry
    12-09-09 11:11 AM
    I found "Wi-Fi Proxy +FTP/HTTP Servers" on Blackberry App World, BUT I cant get it to work on my Blackberry Storm 2. I've tried to contact their support at foryourblackberry dot com but I've got no reply. I'd love to have all the features and benefits listed in this app, and I'm more than willing to pay the $18.99 price tag. I just wish it really worked.

Has anyone had success with this APP, or has anyone had success in contacting the vendor at foryourblackberry dot com? I'm starting to wonder if it's a legit app or not. Their site looks like it's hosted out of Russia (.ru on their provider), and I cant get anyone to reply from their support at foryourblackberry dot com.

I'd like to hear from people trying this app, and see if anyone is at all successful at getting it to work. It's configured to let you Upload/Download via HTTP and FTP over both WiFi and your phone Carrier, but I have as of yet to hear about anyone successfully using this app.

If your a Blackberry user that likes to play with apps, can you give this app a try on your phone and let me know if you actually get the FTP or HTTP servers working on your phone?

Thanks!

Ted
    03-24-10 02:54 PM
    So you want to host a website for free? I know the phone may seem like an option but have you considered the free hosting sites out there already?

Try 110mb.com Hope that helps.

http://www.110mb.com/
    03-24-10 03:09 PM
    Why not host your own? Google "Abyss Web Server". Have a dynamic IP address? No problem. "Zoneedit"
    03-24-10 04:03 PM
    It's not about hosting a website... its about hosting a website on a BLACKBERRY!!! My thought is this, with the "Wi-Fi Proxy +FTP/HTTP Servers" (working as advertised, of course), I could give out my phone's IP address to family and friends while I'm on a trip taking pictures with my phone, and they could go to my phone and see the photos i've taken instantly... Or if I walk up to a PC in the office and I need to drag & drop a 2 gig file, I can have my phone set to WiFi FTP and simply ftp the file to my phone, without having to hunt down a usb adapter... This software makes my phone a completely WiFi, untethered storage device for sending and receive files as desired..... a friend ask you "what ring tones do you have on your phone"... you just give him your phones IP address with read only access and tell him to take a look and copy what he wants.....

I mean... I can come up with good uses for this software all day.... and I want it to work....

I just wish someone had it built out there...

Thanks,

TBWalkeriii
    03-29-10 01:03 AM
    I doubt this would help but perhaps knowing an application like this one exists validates your assumption that something like this is possible. Supposedly this app will allow people (in this case company help desk admins) to remotely access a blackberry to navigate around for support help.

Automating Mobile Management for the Enterprise
    03-29-10 10:51 AM
    So far I have succeeded in running a server thread and getting post requests from a client thread. Does not always work, but still.

What does not work though is, on the client side, to receive any kind of data back from the server. The server thread builds a pretty cute response, with headers, etc - but the client side throws EOFException on connection.getResponseCode().

So there.

I guess it is intentionally broken by Rim people.
    04-19-10 05:43 PM
    theres an app called portaserver which you can use to see your blackberry files on your wifi

maybe using that somehow? or similar technology if some developer is interested

i cant post links for some reason so just google portaserver blackberry you'll find it

i know this isnt what you asked for but its a step closer hah

good luck
    05-03-10 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD