I love all of these apps. BlackBerry Travel and Traffic are new to me but they both work fantastically! I booked flights, room and a car and Blackberry Travel automatically scanned my email and added my itineraries to the app. That's super handy. Then the app shows weather of my destination as well as all my travel details.

But all three apps need to be better integrated so that when I'm in Travel, I can click on the hotel is booked and get driving directions.

Also, Traffic needs to add the Maps app to it so it's one app.

Otherwise, the apps are great. I just find myself having to open and go between them too much.
    03-06-12 04:46 PM
    I completely agree with chrisy520. I just got back from a trip to Boston. BlackBerry Travel is fantastic. I had to deal with a couple of delay and gate changes but they were almost transparent to me since BlackBerry Travel let me know ahead of time. I didn't for once had a need to look at the information screens for flights information. Everything I need presented to me in BlackBerry Travel apps.
    There is one instance where I need to find directions (walking) to a restaurant and I struggled a little bit with BlackBerry Maps. I ended up went online and use Google for walking direction.
    BlackBerry Traffic worked quite well for me also.
    And yes they all need to be better integrated.
    00stryder and Chrisy like this.
    03-06-12 05:02 PM
    Yes they do need better integration. You discover the "Send to Blackberry Travel" item in the menu yet? I'm pretty sure Poynt has it.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 05:05 PM
    Yes I saw that. I don't use Poynt too often. I use Google Maps for POI search. That's another thing that could be improved within BlackBerry Maps.
    03-06-12 05:15 PM
    As a broader problem, they never solved the lack of free voice navigation. I would have thought they would have a free solution of their own a year ago, but still they don't.

This is a larger problem than all the rest of this combined...

There are some 3rd party options but they aren't as ideal, not as integrated, you have to know where to look for them and your best option varies based on gsm/cdma...

Either kill off BB Maps and get someone else to make a better mapping application (Bing needs updates bad, google isn't really supporting GMM and they actually never made very good BB apps at any point in time, so I wouldn't trust them), or bring BB Maps up to par... The local search in it is pretty sucky, no traffic integration, it needs voice turn by turn and the UI could use some help.
    Last edited by papped; 03-06-12 at 05:45 PM.
    03-06-12 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry Traffic is free voice navigation. It works well. Just doesn't have maps! Lol.
    03-06-12 05:52 PM
    I second that...the voice navigation on BB traffic is good.
    03-06-12 06:23 PM
    Yeah but say they integrated BBMaps for the maps. The local search on BB Maps is garbage... So you can't say look up a restaurant or business, navigate to it and get voice turn by turn. Something like 75% or more of the searches I try in BB Maps return nothing for results whereas they work in other local search apps.

BB Maps is also completely lacking any business or location POIs or any sort of map display addresses...

To make it really effective you would either have to manually input all of your addresses and save them, or link it from another app like Poynt to BB Maps. It shouldn't be that cumbersome...
    03-06-12 06:24 PM
    Agreed. It needs work. If It was improved I would gladly delete Google Maps. But I use Google Places a lot for point of interest search and directions.
    03-06-12 06:51 PM
    I have used BB Traffic to find a restaurant...I really don't like Poynt...I was in Miami typed in Cuban restaurant in the search field and it gave me a list of restaurants within 10 miles of where I was and then turn by turn directions...love it.
    Agree...BB travel should link to BB traffic to give you directions....love having the direct phone number of the hotel and just hit enter to dial it...
    03-06-12 07:20 PM
    I used BB Maps for navigation for some time. For finding an address, it works fairly well. However, I used Google Maps as a backup in case BB Maps couldn't find what I wanted. There were vice versa moments too, but that's neither here nor there.

Maps does need a better local search. BB Traffic is great on the turn by turn, but it would be better if it integrated with maps like a normal GPS. I had VZ Navigator on my phone until I left Verizon, and that was near perfect. Integrate Maps, Traffic, and Travel in to something like BlackBerry WhichWay or some such application so you only need the one thing to find where you're going, see how long it'll take to get there, and make sure you have a place to stay/go when you arrive.

Mr. Thorsten Heins, I hope you're reading the forums regularly. The folks here have great ideas!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 07:55 PM
    Blackberry Travel - One of my most used apps. Works fantastic
    Blackberry Maps - Works for me. Not as good as Google Maps.
    Blackberry Traffic - For turn by turn navigation, I don't like it. I can't get the volume loud enough to hear it. So I use my Sprint Navigation. It is good for finding restaurants, etc.
    I would like to see all three of these apps improved and integrated with BBM, our devices, and our Playbooks.
    MTL likes this.
    03-06-12 08:09 PM
    How about if RIM created a new Super App for the Playbook and the phone integrating all these individual apps. Bing is horrible and should be toasted anyway.
    Chrisy and johnmarki like this.
    03-06-12 09:57 PM
    Wow! There are some awesome suggestions on this topic. I love all of these apps and my favorite app ever is BB Travel. As far as integration is concerned I'd like to see RIM merge the 3 together. Inside the app they could make traffic an option to maps that would have voice nav and integrate BB Travel by using a wikitude type of connectivity to map out different stores, hotels, rental cars, and other POI that your contacts or other BBMers might recommend. I'd also like to see BB travel expanded to include other modes of transportation itineraries, such as subways, trains, and cruise ships. Just my 2cents. I'm excited and hopeful to see how RIM plan on making these apps even more powerful in the future.

Update: I was thinking about this topic more and more as of late, and was thinking that if RIM mashed up all 3 of them together as some others and I suggested, they could add NFC integration so you could convert currencies on the fly without stopping at a foreign bank or embassy, have a scannable digital passport, integrate a toll booth pay pass, use it as an entry card to hotel rooms, special access to member only amenities at airports, parking decks, cruise ship lounges, train dining cars etc. Also one of the visions I have for the "super app" would be to allow you to add pictures, videos, and voice notes to user shared POI that would allow you to see the route others have shared along the way I.E. a user saves a nice scenic driving route through the mountains in fall, or a calculation is made by combining different subway routes that have the most visited restaurants near each stop, or maybe even a way to post reviews that include pics, videos and voice notes based upon the best time of day to see the sunrise/sunset on a cruise. Sorry, that was long winded, but this topic has my mind racing about all the possibilities these 3 apps bring to the table when integrated with one another in the BlackBerry ecosystem. At this rate expect more updates on ideas that pop into my head in the next day or so! Darn you chrisy520! great topic and discussion from all
    Last edited by johnmarki; 03-08-12 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Ideas in my head need to escape!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 10:14 PM
    I was on the road last Friday...... and trying to use some state/local roads to bypass the center of Houston.

BB Traffic would not yield the route I wanted/needed.

BB Maps (as usual) gave me the route I wanted but there was no way to send this route to BB Traffic. I agree.... this would be a huge plus.

I've tried other mapping Apps but really like BB Maps. The 'local search' has worked great for me. When paired with Poynt...... search options appear well covered.

It would just be perfect (for me) if a route in BB Maps could be sent to BB Traffic which would provide voice navigation.

(NOTE: My wife was driving, I was navigating. I had 2 Blackberrys and a Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket going. BB Traffic informed us multiple times that we lost GPS. Of all the apps and tools we had on all devices...... BB Maps never quit and was able to yield the desired route. Love BB Maps.)
    johnmarki and Chrisy like this.
    03-06-12 11:51 PM
    VZ Navigator is probably the best navigation ap I've used. It has 3D maps, tons of options, voice navigation, a really good POI search (powered by Bing I think), and other options. But I'm not paying $9.99 a month for it. I did that for years.

Also VZ Nav doesn't do what BlackBerry Travel does. So if BlackBerry did merge those apps together, add a few features and improve others, it really would be an ultimate app!

Yes, then put it on PlayBook too. Integrate with BBM too. Maps does already a little. Traffic, you can email your itinerary.

It would smoke Google Navigation on Android too.
    03-07-12 05:35 AM
    I started using UbiNav. It's ok, @ $50/yr it is better that some of the subscription options. Has a great UI that is easy to use when driving. I love BB Travel, I switched from Tripit and have had no regrets.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 06:05 AM
    I agree with the OP. I would imagine that RIM is working on an integrated app for BB10, that would only make sense..

As for the playbook, I'm pretty disappointed with Bing Maps and the lack of a Blackberry Traffic equivalent. Unfortunately, RIM and Microsoft have shook hands on this one.

Hello, RIM? Want to really impress your users? Make a Maps/Traffic/Travel app (that doesn't suck ala the Bing maps of the day) and is seamless across BB10 and Playbook and you've got a winner!
    03-07-12 07:26 AM
    I've been a big fan of Blackberry Traffic of late. I only use it when I don't know where I'm going, so whatever route they give me is good.

I do wonder why they haven't squished Traffic and Maps together.
    03-07-12 08:17 AM
    BlackBerry Traffic and Maps are two good apps,but RIM should try and integrate the two, which would make it better.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-07-12 10:15 AM
    Blackberry Travel - One of my most used apps. Works fantastic
    Blackberry Maps - Works for me. Not as good as Google Maps.
    Blackberry Traffic - For turn by turn navigation, I don't like it. I can't get the volume loud enough to hear it. So I use my Sprint Navigation. It is good for finding restaurants, etc.
    I would like to see all three of these apps improved and integrated with BBM, our devices, and our Playbooks.
    Yes! We need these apps for the PlayBook ASAP!!!
    johnmarki likes this.
    03-07-12 09:19 PM
    I totally agree with the OP...
    This is one of the best threads I've seen here on CB in a long time. Really.
    Thoughtful, and useful.

There are just too many "Hate" and the reverse "Why all the hate" threads.

Thanks for the insight OP. I've thought about this, but never put it into words here in the forums.

Glad you did!
    johnmarki and Chrisy like this.
    03-08-12 09:00 AM
    I totally agree with the OP...
    This is one of the best threads I've seen here on CB in a long time. Really.
    Thoughtful, and useful.

There are just too many "Hate" and the reverse "Why all the hate" threads.

Thanks for the insight OP. I've thought about this, but never put it into words here in the forums.

Glad you did!
    Thanks!

I totally agree. Kind of tired of the doom and gloom threads, predictions, comparisons with other platforms, haters and fan boys...

We use BlackBerry. We like it for our own reasons. We like to see upgrades and improvements.

I was so thrilled when BlackBerry Traffic was released! Free audible turn by turn! The UI needs work and features added to it.

Travel is just an awesome, probably under rated, app. The auto scan and add to itinerary itself is such a great feature. This app is useful! Intuitive.

Goes to show BlackBerry (I'm also on board with RIM changing its name) is able to make NATIVE AWESOME APPS that work well on the OS.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-08-12 at 12:41 PM.
    johnmarki likes this.
    03-08-12 12:38 PM
    Travel Rocks, I bet lots of people are not using it because they don't know just how amazing it is.

BlackBerry 9900
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-10-12 09:11 AM
    I had Travel installed and didn't use it for a month. UNTIL... I booked a flight and I got an email saying it was added to BlackBerry Travel. I forgot all about the app and that email alerted me. I opened it and wow, it was all filled in. Then I booked a car and hotel and same thing. I was really impressed!

It also added the trip to my calendar automatically!
    03-10-12 09:18 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD