Hi, sorry for the alarming title, but I am desperate and I'm wondering if anybody has the technical expertise to help solve my dilemma. Please bear with me.

So me and my wife both have a Blackberry Torch 9800. A couple months ago I installed in both phones the Blackberry Protect app. Turns out my wife has been tracking me using the "View Current Location" feature of the Blackberry Protect website. In one of these days the location service indicated that I was some place else of where I really was. I was working overtime that day, I was in my office, but the service indicated I was someplace around 5 miles away of where I really was. The point in the map where it indicated had an accuracy radius of about half a mile (it did not include the location of where I really was). From what I understand the service works by using either GPS or cell tower triangulation. Since I was indoors the GPS signal might not have been strong enough so the service might have tried to use triangulation, but I'm just guessing. What I'm trying to find out is, how can I explain to my wife, with technical data to back up my argument, that the service might be this inaccurate in not so ideal conditions. Or just think of it like this, how could you explain a 4, 5 miles discrepancy of the actual location of the device with what the service is indicating?

Please, I really don't want to discuss things like why doesn't she believe me or things like that. Trust me that will not help. All I want is technical expertise or technical data that will back up my words so that we can put this behind us.

I really appreciate any possible help.

Thank you.
    10-26-11 09:59 PM
    Hi, sorry for the alarming title, but I am desperate and I'm wondering if anybody has the technical expertise to help solve my dilemma. Please bear with me.

So me and my wife both have a Blackberry Torch 9800. A couple months ago I installed in both phones the Blackberry Protect app. Turns out my wife has been tracking me using the "View Current Location" feature of the Blackberry Protect website. In one of these days the location service indicated that I was some place else of where I really was. I was working overtime that day, I was in my office, but the service indicated I was someplace around 5 miles away of where I really was. The point in the map where it indicated had an accuracy radius of about half a mile (it did not include the location of where I really was). From what I understand the service works by using either GPS or cell tower triangulation. Since I was indoors the GPS signal might not have been strong enough so the service might have tried to use triangulation, but I'm just guessing. What I'm trying to find out is, how can I explain to my wife, with technical data to back up my argument, that the service might be this inaccurate in not so ideal conditions. Or just think of it like this, how could you explain a 4, 5 miles discrepancy of the actual location of the device with what the service is indicating?

Please, I really don't want to discuss things like why doesn't she believe me or things like that. Trust me that will not help. All I want is technical expertise or technical data that will back up my words so that we can put this behind us.

I really appreciate any possible help.

Thank you.
    1. Ask her to contact you the next time you're working late and she gets curious. Office phone, email, text, etc. If it's not via office phone, take a picture of where you are and make sure there's a clock in the background.

2. You can turn the tables if she's shopping in a large store/mall. Ask her where she really is/was because you saw she was somewhere other than where she said. Petty and extremely ill-advised.

3. See a marriage counselor. Seriously.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-27-11 12:40 AM
    Please, I really don't want to discuss things like why doesn't she believe me or things like that. Trust me that will not help.
    I read this, but...

You know, its very hard to reply to your question the way you would like us to, with the so called "technical expertise", because this is such a stupid matter, that if your wife has to 1) monitor you 2) doesn't believe you... we really would just be hurting you, by... "helping you" and that brings me to the other point that... you don't need technical expertise, but to seek counseling (if you can't leave her that is...).

PS: I just checked the BB Protect site. It states clearly that if the phone is indoors or where there is little signal like maybe your office, you won't get found with precision etc etc. So, she really just needed to read what it already says...
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    10-27-11 12:55 AM
    the answer is simple: take her with you to the office.
    Barljo, Chrisy and wnm like this.
    10-27-11 03:50 AM
    Keep the BlackBerry. Lose the wife.
    No trust= No marriage!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 05:46 AM
    Trust is earned.

Cell phones are tech, tech can fail. I don't use GPS during normal days, I allow for triangulation. This regularly places me at Gold's Gm instead of home and at Union Station instead of work. The other day it placed me at fort Dietrich. But....I've never broken trust so my explanation is readily received.
    Explain to your wife how this is not 100% infallible. Take a pic of yourself in your office with the time and date showing from your monitor.
    But really, if things are this complicated, there is something wrong. And only the two of you can fix that.

10-27-11 06:27 AM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you. (If you're staying here for more than an alibi…)

I don't have the proper expertise to help you, but I'll say this: if you keep the wife + the BlackBerry, for god's sakes change your password!

If you're supposed to be at work and wife needs to check, tell her to call you there. And that's faster than logging in and checking with Protect anyway!
    Last edited by elite1; 10-27-11 at 06:54 AM.
    10-27-11 06:51 AM
    I don't have the proper expertise to help you, but I'll say this: if you keep the wife + the BlackBerry, for god's sakes change your password!
    Exactly- BBProtect is to protect your BB, not to be used for spying. The worst thing I get is that my wife will poke through my emails and messages. How do I know? because all the new message indicators are gone when I check it in the AM, but all the messages (at least I think all) are still there. I will use the password occasionally, but I have nothing to hide, so it's not something I use all the time.
    10-27-11 08:29 AM
    Speaking as someone who is going through a divorce because of my soon-to-be-ex wife's infidelity, no way am I going to help you. Since you don't say why she doesn't trust you, and the fact that she feels the need to check you whereabouts, I'm assuming you cheated before. Now, you are most likely doing it again. 4-5 mile discrepency? Highly, highly unlikely.

If you ARE cheating, dude, just come clean to your wife. If she wants a divorce, suck it up, apologize and give her what she wants.

Serenity Dawn likes this.
    10-27-11 08:47 AM
    If you ARE cheating, dude, just come clean to your wife. If she wants a divorce, suck it up, apologize and give her what she wants.

Less your blackberry, of course. And take hers as well.

jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    10-27-11 09:25 AM
    Yep... the issue here is not the tech. Fix the relationship.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    10-27-11 09:32 AM
    the answer is simple: take her with you to the office.
    A variation on the theme. In your office, check your location online using BB protect. If it's showing the same inaccuracy, have someone take a picture of you with your BB in front of the monitor showing the bad location.
    trucky likes this.
    10-27-11 10:22 AM
    A liar is the first one to call someone else a liar. A cheater is the first one to call someone else a cheater.
    If its on her mind, maybe you should be checking her.

10-27-11 02:07 PM
    Since the OP has only the one post and hasn't been back, I wonder if this post is real?
    That being said... if your marriage has no trust at all, get counselling. Or, if you live in Wa, come see me in a few years and I'll do what I can to help you out of it
    10-28-11 12:11 AM
    Keep the BlackBerry. Lose the wife.
    Wise words.
    10-28-11 01:10 AM
    Wonderful soap iopera!

10-28-11 03:29 AM
    OP won't be back. Wife has read this thread on her phone lol.

10-28-11 07:10 PM
    Lol
    Tech. Reminds me of something
    A guy went on a business trip n had a day off
    Went to the beach
    Smsd his wife its so nice
    Wish you were her instead of wish you were here!
    He missed out the e n landed in a big problem

10-29-11 12:21 AM
    Lol
    Tech. Reminds me of something
    A guy went on a business trip n had a day off
    Went to the beach
    Smsd his wife its so nice
    Wish you were her instead of wish you were here!
    He missed out the e n landed in a big problem

haven't heard about the guy who went on "businesstrip" abroad and who came back in time?
    he told his wife his flight back went smoothly...
    The only problem was... the plane he was supposed to be on had crashed, no survivors....
    04-19-13 07:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD