I installed Blackberry Protect due to the good reviews on this site but the constant messages I receive from it are a pain - I wondered if anyone else got them? They are so irritating that unless anyone can offer an easy solution I think I'll go back to backing up via usb using blackberry desktop. I have it set-up to automatically back up monthly, over wifi only. I thought that this would mean that it would leave me alone until the next back up was due (ie once a month) but it constantly sends me a messages saying 'Unable Back Up Due to Radio Coverage Settings' even if it is not due to back up. I have full wifi at home, yet if I turn the device off overnight the first message I receive in the morning when I power on is 'Unable to Back Up... blah blah blah' Every single day. Even if it has backed up the day before.

A few weeks ago I went to the Scottish Borders (lovely coast if you ever get the chance), and Blackberry Protect went into pester mode. If I lost reception for even a few seconds while out walking, as soon as I gained a signal the first message on my phone was 'Unable to Back Up...' This happened up to 10 times a day, despite the fact that my phone had backed up the day before I left (so it wasn't due to back up anyway). Okay maybe this was an extreme case due to the variable 3G signal but it happens at least twice a day on a normal day - once when I turn the device on and at least another time (maybe I walk through an area where there is no coverage?).

The only way to shut it up it to back it up manually.

Is there some simple setting I can change to avoid this? I didn't really want it to back up over 3G and I don't need it backing up daily, hence my settings but it seems to ignore what I want.

Quickly before I kill the app (and let's see it protect itself from that).
    03-03-12 06:55 AM
    I installed Blackberry Protect due to the good reviews on this site but the constant messages I receive from it are a pain - I wondered if anyone else got them? They are so irritating that unless anyone can offer an easy solution I think I'll go back to backing up via usb using blackberry desktop. I have it set-up to automatically back up monthly, over wifi only. I thought that this would mean that it would leave me alone until the next back up was due (ie once a month) but it constantly sends me a messages saying 'Unable Back Up Due to Radio Coverage Settings' even if it is not due to back up. I have full wifi at home, yet if I turn the device off overnight the first message I receive in the morning when I power on is 'Unable to Back Up... blah blah blah' Every single day. Even if it has backed up the day before.

A few weeks ago I went to the Scottish Borders (lovely coast if you ever get the chance), and Blackberry Protect went into pester mode. If I lost reception for even a few seconds while out walking, as soon as I gained a signal the first message on my phone was 'Unable to Back Up...' This happened up to 10 times a day, despite the fact that my phone had backed up the day before I left (so it wasn't due to back up anyway). Okay maybe this was an extreme case due to the variable 3G signal but it happens at least twice a day on a normal day - once when I turn the device on and at least another time (maybe I walk through an area where there is no coverage?).

The only way to shut it up it to back it up manually.

Is there some simple setting I can change to avoid this? I didn't really want it to back up over 3G and I don't need it backing up daily, hence my settings but it seems to ignore what I want.

Quickly before I kill the app (and let's see it protect itself from that).
    I had the same problem and was never ever to get a solution for it while on that setting. I even spent weeks going back and forth with BlackBerry about the issue and nothing. Unfortunately, the only way I was able to stop it from doing this was to switch off "Only Back-Up over Wifi". Stupid, I know, but I had the same issue you had for a month non-stop... somethings getting up to 25 messages a day. I just manually back it up once a month or so when I'm home using Wifi.
    kingmonkey likes this.
    03-03-12 07:23 AM
    Thanks SuperGenius - will do as you suggest.
    03-03-12 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD