Hello All

I just recently got the 9810 (so far I love) and I wanted to know if anyone has downloaded the free blackberry protect app thats on crackberry's main page & opinions if any on it

I was getting of thinking of getting a similar program with AT&T but I think it's 8.99 with mobile insurance but free is always better.

~Thanks in advance~
    09-06-11 02:01 PM
    Great App That work well. There was a member here that posted how they lost there phone in a parking lot when they got home they where able to log into BB protect & located the phone using the GPS. I have it on my phone.
    Ok I Get It Now likes this.
    09-06-11 02:33 PM
    Hello All

I just recently got the 9810 (so far I love) and I wanted to know if anyone has downloaded the free blackberry protect app thats on crackberry's main page & opinions if any on it

I was getting of thinking of getting a similar program with AT&T but I think it's 8.99 with mobile insurance but free is always better.

~Thanks in advance~
    The 9810 comes w/BB Protect as part of the os
    09-06-11 02:33 PM
    The 9810 comes w/BB Protect as part of the os
    +1

Handy little app to have in several different ways and reasons. I wouldn't own a berry without it now. I would think most BB owners feel this way, could be why its baked into the OS now instead of a standalone app.
    09-06-11 04:23 PM
    just remember, it is not supported on phones connected to BES.
    09-06-11 06:39 PM
    I'm using it too. I had it on my 9800 (thankfully I never lost that one), and like having the ability to track it down, of course provided that someone hasn't stolen it and turned it off...
    09-06-11 08:12 PM
    The only feature missing for BP is an option to blow up ur berry in someones pocket. That would make it complete!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 08:16 PM
    Thanks everyone. I had no idea that is was already pre-loaded into the phone, guess I have a lot to learn about it (smile)

Thanks again everyone

* found a great deal on ebay 5 rubber cases with the screen prot for 9.99
    09-06-11 08:20 PM
    I left my phone in a friends car once (it slide between the seats). Using BB Protect, I was able to quickly locate my device from my computer---else I'm unsure when I would have ever found it. It's free and I don't know why anyone would not use this app.
    09-18-11 01:34 PM
    The only feature missing for BP is an option to blow up ur berry in someones pocket. That would make it complete!!!!

Of course, with the possibilities of **** dialing, that'd just give me an opportunity to give myself a really sore backside.
    09-18-11 04:53 PM
    Hello All

~Thanks in advance~
    You've gotten a lot of good comments. The app I've used in the past was Lookout. It's cross platform. It doesn't back up as much as Blackberry Protect, but if you switch to a different type phone, you don't lose your backups. Right now there's no OS7 version, but I'd expect one soon.
    09-18-11 04:58 PM
    +1

Handy little app to have in several different ways and reasons. I wouldn't own a berry without it now. I would think most BB owners feel this way, could be why its baked into the OS now instead of a standalone app.
    I am very confused. Where is it? I tried applications and it's not there on my 9810. App World says it's not supported for the 9810.
    09-18-11 05:41 PM
    I am very confused. Where is it? I tried applications and it's not there on my 9810. App World says it's not supported for the 9810.
    Not all carriers support it. If you are on one that does not, then I'd not expect it to be installed or in app world for you.
    09-18-11 05:43 PM
    Not all carriers support it. If you are on one that does not, then I'd not expect it to be installed or in app world for you.
    Bb protect if supported is in the setup wizard and the shield is yellow. I moved apps from my 9800 to my 9810 and the bb protect that I dowloaded on my 9800 which had a black shield shows not compatable with the 9810 in my world.

09-18-11 09:55 PM
    so i just tried to install it on my 9810 (rogers) but am told "sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support blackberry express".
    is this because of the os (bb7) or my carrier?
    09-19-11 12:23 AM
    You don't need to install it. From your homescreen type "protect" and it will show up. It's part of OS7 now.
    09-19-11 01:00 AM
    You don't need to install it. From your homescreen type "protect" and it will show up. It's part of OS7 now.
    thanks tsl2000, however, i do that and indeed the little grey shield icon with "BlackBerry Protect" is found, but when i click that i'm sent to http://mobileapps... to click the "download Now" button which ends up with that message.
    09-19-11 01:16 AM
    You've gotten a lot of good comments. The app I've used in the past was Lookout. It's cross platform. It doesn't back up as much as Blackberry Protect, but if you switch to a different type phone, you don't lose your backups. Right now there's no OS7 version, but I'd expect one soon.
    Yep this is a great forum.

Glad to know that I will not need to purchase the mobile protect pack for $8-10 but I think I will keep the mobile insurance for $5

Thank again everyrone
    09-19-11 10:55 AM
    I like this BB Protect for the daily backups but I also use BuddyGuard Pro so that if I can't get my phone back for some reason, I can wipe the device remotely. I can lock remotely and sent messages to it remotely. Awesome supplimental app to BB Protect.
    09-19-11 04:00 PM
    update for anyone who might run into the same problem as me: after inspecting the applications in blackberry desktop i realized that bb protect was unchecked, so all is well now.
    09-20-11 12:26 PM
    update for anyone who might run into the same problem as me: after inspecting the applications in blackberry desktop i realized that bb protect was unchecked, so all is well now.
    Odd that. It came preinstalled on my Rogers 9810. Is it possible you did an OS upgrade and unchecked the box by mistake?
    09-20-11 05:40 PM
    I found BB Protect on my application list when I plugged my 9810 into DM. However, when I tried to add it DM complained about "dependencies". Is this an ATT problem? Am I missing something?

I'm running the latest (install this morning) DM on a MAC.
    09-21-11 07:23 AM
    It's a great little app, I use it often. When I upgraded from my 9800 to my 9810, I did a quick backup and then when they gave me my new 9810 I did a quick restore. For some reason I only got about 1/2 of my contacts (must have been a bad upload or something) so I went back a couple days and restored just my contacts and it's all good. I wish it would backup your profiles too, then it would be perfect.
    09-22-11 02:29 PM
    Odd that. It came preinstalled on my Rogers 9810. Is it possible you did an OS upgrade and unchecked the box by mistake?
    i'm almost certain that my phone had been previously tried and returned.
    09-26-11 03:27 PM
    I like this BB Protect for the daily backups but I also use BuddyGuard Pro so that if I can't get my phone back for some reason, I can wipe the device remotely. I can lock remotely and sent messages to it remotely. Awesome supplimental app to BB Protect.
    Doesn't BB Protect do all this anyway? If you go to the web interface http://www.blackberry.com/select/pro...redirect.shtml and sign in with your BB ID you can view your BB's location using GPS, lock it remotely, send a message to be displayed on the lock screen and wipe everything on the device including all data on the SD card.
    Last edited by NinjaBread; 09-26-11 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Fixed URL link
    09-26-11 09:50 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD