Can anyone explain to me how this app works? It came pre installed on my torch but so far I've been unable to download any podcasts. All it seems to do is search you-tube or google.
    I was expecting a nice list of podcasts I could just choose from with some sort of search facility.
    05-15-11 08:17 AM
    where are you located? Look for my post "Apps for non-popular countries". It seems that we are facing the same problem (i've got the Torch as well). We have a sort of "play only" podcast app. The only way to add podcast to the app is to connect your BB to the computer an copy the files to the podcast folder of your media card. Then you will be able to see them on the podcast list of the podcast player.

Depending on your location, you won't be able to download the full app from AppWorld...
    05-15-11 01:49 PM
    Im located in Australia, the phone was purchased from an Australian provider (Telstra) so I would assume the app would be working as it came pre-installed. (or am I being naive and ridiculous?)
    05-16-11 06:11 AM
    So i think i'm right. BB Podcast (full featured version) is only available for Canada and US (just search for "blackberry podcast app world" on google and you will find the link to the app on the BB AppWorld Store. Read the right side column on "Supported Countries".

The app that you and me have pre-installed is in fact the BB Podcast app, but some sort of a "play only" version...

We can now cry together ...
    05-20-11 08:01 PM
    Does anybody know why is BB Podcasts only available in US and Canada ?
    For me this stupid restrictions ruin otherwise excellent device
    07-27-11 06:10 AM
    Same here.I'm from the philippines.I can not search podcasts but I have managed to add channels by manually adding.I can now download podcasts from channels I have subscribed to and I even get notifications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:18 AM
    I brought my phone with me to Australia from Canada and found out that the podcast app doesn't work when I got here : ( not a happy camper. I've now taken it off my phone for now because its useless. It would be great if they expanded the range of countries of the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 08:21 AM
    ...but I have managed to add channels by manually adding.I can now download podcasts from channels I have subscribed to and I even get notifications.
    How did you add channels manually ?
    07-28-11 05:24 AM
    I agree that the restrictions on the podcast app are a joke in australia, even the podcast app is automatically removed from my wifi playbook when i set it up.

I could understand if it was due to the amount of data some podcast's require when downloading through our carriers, but the youtube app is not blocked, wtf.

So we can down load youtube movies all day but cannot download a podcast, doesn't make sense to me.
    07-28-11 07:02 AM
    It's kinda silly, if you ask me. I've been trying to remove the podcast app by shrinking it, since I have absolutely no use for it, but it STILL installs with a fresh OS. I've even looked for the individual cods, but to no avail. *sigh*

If I'm able to add the channels manually, I won't have a problem keeping the app, but I have no option to add anything.
    07-28-11 07:40 AM
    i gave up.. with BB podcast.. itunes has handled my podcast for far to long to switch everything over and i dont think the database of podcasts are even in the same league...... just my opinion but didnt find it very user friendly.. but then again i am used to the itunes software... so to each there own
    07-31-11 08:12 PM
    To use the application without a data plan, you have to sideload podcasts.

The way I use Blackberry Podcasts, I use gPodder and easytag (an mp3 tag editor).

1. I run gPodder on my PC and add all of my podcast feeds to it.
    2. After podcasts are downloaded, I edit the podcasts using easytag (to edit the album, title and genre).
    3. Using gPodder, I transfer files to the Blackberry/podcast folder on my Blackberry's media card.

Now, when I start Blackberry Podcast, I see all of my podcasts.
    08-07-11 09:43 PM
    Just go to Service Books and delete Media Sync. Then restart your phone and hey presto it will work fine. Just remember to delete Media Sync before restarting your device for all future restarts or else you will get the RIM Blocked version (which I think is ridiculous - can't even get an answer from RIM as to why they disable it for users outside the US)
    09-02-11 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD