I just downloaded the app played it for a total of 5 minutes. Here are some immediate impressions-

Pros-
    • Import Viigo feeds
    • very clean appearance

Cons-
    • not able to customize font size for feed title/article
    • not able to edit actual feed title (this was a nice feature in viigo)
    • no option to open article in Txt only

I will try this out for a few days and give an actual opinion. Post what your immediate thoughts are on Berry News Feed

UPDATE 12-16-10
    Been using a 3 days now here is some more feedback

Pros-
    • Fast feed updates
    • All new unread items in one location (not sure if Viigo did this)

Cons-
    • no summary of article when forwarding
    • serious lag in exiting the application

I primarily used viigo for news feeds from their first release, beta testing Project Tango and finally just the stripped down News Only reader. There were a lot of nice tweaks that users were able to do that did not appear to transfer over after the aquisition. RIM needs to bring them back
    Last edited by Ghostnyc; 12-16-10 at 08:23 AM.
    12-13-10 10:48 AM
    I just downloaded the app played it for a total of 5 minutes. Here are some immediate impressions-

Pros-
    • Import Viigo feeds
    • very clean appearance

Cons-
    • not able to customize font size for feed title/article
    • not able to edit actual feed title (this was a nice feature in viigo)
    • no option to open article in Txt only

I will try this out for a few days and give an actual opinion. Post what your immediate thoughts are on Berry News Feed
    i agree with these, and i'd like to add
    Cons-
    • not able to delete multiple articles, only one at a time.

not sure how this will play with memory or not, but the app saves the cache on the memory card. (plus right there)

i think if this gets polished, i'll be able to move past viigo! app size is half the size of the viigo news app.
    12-13-10 11:16 AM
    I typically use BerryReader, but I am also giving News Feeds a try. I suspect that in the end, I will stick with BerryReader since News Feeds does not integrate with Google Reader.

Pros:
    At first glance, I do like the interface - it reminds me of the BlackBerry Podcasts interface.
    It already had most of my feeds in its catalog, so I could just search and add them with one click (no manually entering the address).
    The Messages integration could be a great feature for some people, though I don't prefer it.

Cons:
    Lack of Google Reader integration, obviously.
    I'm used to BerryReader, so I miss the swipe-right to mark as read, swipe-left to mark as favorite, and the navigation bar along the bottom.
    Missing BerryReader's inline-preview (it takes you to a separate page instead).
    I like the option to send to email, SMS or BBM, but it's missing options to send to Facebook and Twitter.
    12-13-10 11:22 AM
    Once again, RIM ignores that not everybody lives in North America.

Any kind saint soul care to post the cods?
    12-13-10 11:24 AM
    Yes forget the uk customers again what I find sad is they could tell everyone and make it clear where its available poor way of dealing with customers ps I am not a bb basher I love my torch just disapppointed
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-13-10 11:31 AM
    Yep! If any kind soul out there would like to post the CODs or even a OTA link, I would be very grateful - Hate begging!
    12-13-10 01:13 PM
    BerryReader keeps having so many various bugs and it takes them a long time to fix. Nice to have another alternative at this point...
    12-13-10 01:32 PM
    I'm not able to login using my existing blackberry ID. I can't even click the button.

mybbota.com has a OTA up for those that want to get it without using app world. I was able to download it by going to blackberry.com/beta, which then transfered over to the App World and had to use the QR reader to finally download.
    diegonei and Ben Bubble like this.
    12-13-10 01:43 PM
    When I imported my Viigo feeds, I noticed a couple that did not go through...I tried adding them, but doesn't seem to work...any idea on how to fix this?
    12-13-10 08:29 PM
    diegonei daveshiz iBenRowe
    go look at mybbota (there is an OTA posted there)
    Ben Bubble and pkcable like this.
    12-13-10 08:33 PM
    diegonei daveshiz iBenRowe
    go look at mybbota (there is an OTA posted there)
    Yes, Seven said that. Already downloaded. Let's see how it goes.

EDIT: It works. Good. Now if RIM could stop this b***s**t release model and give people worldwide access to the good stuff.. Or did you forget that BlackBerry Podcasts is STILL officially off-limits for over 60% of the BB population?
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-13-10 at 09:10 PM.
    motoroid7 likes this.
    12-13-10 08:52 PM
    doesn't seem to integrate into 'Messages' after selecting it. On OS 5 (release .900) and Bold 9000. Also change app settings to ALLOW, battery pulled but no it doesn't integrate into 'Messages' . Am i missing something here?
    12-14-10 12:11 AM
    Yes, Seven said that. Already downloaded. Let's see how it goes.

EDIT: It works. Good. Now if RIM could stop this b***s**t release model and give people worldwide access to the good stuff.. Or did you forget that BlackBerry Podcasts is STILL officially off-limits for over 60% of the BB population?
    There are better podcast apps anyhow.
    12-14-10 12:16 AM
    When I imported my Viigo feeds, I noticed a couple that did not go through...I tried adding them, but doesn't seem to work...any idea on how to fix this?
    its still a beta, give it time. im having issues with certain feeds no longer working here but still work in viigo, odd. oh well. i keep reminding myself it's still a beta.
    12-14-10 02:19 AM
    Downloaded the app yesterday. I like the interface and keyboard shortcuts. Even though I am heavy user of berry reader, I will keep the app for some more days.
    I may use this for some feeds instead of google reader.
    Pros
    Light on memory
    Nice interface
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Cons
    No google reader integration
    No inapp reader for full article

How do you guys download viigo feeds?

12-14-10 07:49 AM
    Downloaded the app yesterday. I like the interface and keyboard shortcuts. Even though I am heavy user of berry reader, I will keep the app for some more days.
    I may use this for some feeds instead of google reader.
    Pros
    Light on memory
    Nice interface
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Cons
    No google reader integration
    No inapp reader for full article

How do you guys download viigo feeds?

what do you mean by the viigo question? where do you get it from? from your blackberry browser, navigate to www.getviigo.com (or www.viigo.com/news for just the rss reader)

i would grab it soon, as i feel that as soon as this blackberry news reader takes off, viigo will be shut down.
    12-14-10 08:04 AM
    i find news readers unneeded for me now.. i honestly just have twitter follow all my favourite news sites.
    12-14-10 08:46 AM
    I like it better than Soicial Feeds. BB News Feed organizes feeds by topic rather than time/date. It's also fairly easy to set up. I don't need a lot of features so it works great for me.

Last edited by FirePsych; 01-13-11 at 09:38 AM.
    12-14-10 09:16 AM
    I actually liked the simplicity of the app, and I feel this is a better option than social feed especially for those of us who get our other social stuff from other apps such as Socialscope users such as myself. BerryReader is a good option too, but I like the price of RIM's reader app.
    12-14-10 10:28 AM
    doesn't seem to integrate into 'Messages' after selecting it. On OS 5 (release .900) and Bold 9000. Also change app settings to ALLOW, battery pulled but no it doesn't integrate into 'Messages' . Am i missing something here?
    Exactly same scenario here. It would also be nice to have a "Go to Background or Close" option like Viigo had.

On that, does anybody know how to tell an app to load on bootup?

There are better podcast apps anyhow.
    Long time no see!! Must be, but this is free and made by RIM, my favorite combo. Still, the argument is about their deployment policy.
    12-14-10 01:45 PM
    I liked the app but I deleted it already. I don't mind the social feeds rss reader. Why not just combine the 2?
    12-14-10 03:26 PM
    Any way for it to push a notification like the Social Feeds app does?
    12-14-10 03:36 PM
    Any way for it to push a notification like the Social Feeds app does?
    Yes. Hover over the feed. BB Options. "Set Alert"

I'm not sure how similar this is to OS6. I think this was more of a way to provide RSS feeds to OS 5 and previous devices.
    12-14-10 03:57 PM
    I'm not able to login using my existing blackberry ID. I can't even click the button.

mybbota.com has a OTA up for those that want to get it without using app world. I was able to download it by going to blackberry.com/beta, which then transfered over to the App World and had to use the QR reader to finally download.
    im haveing the same issue...it doesnt give me enough spaces to type my email address(i only need one more character) and it doesnt accept my username it only wants my email address i used for my BBid...ive even copy and pasted it direcly fomr the appworld and it wont take my email address any others experienceing the same thing?
    12-14-10 04:28 PM
    Pros-

Like the new interface, viigo seemed a little dated
    Import RSS feeds from Viigo with user name and password feature

Cons-

My battery life dropped from 3-4% to 6-7% per hour according to meterberry
    Sometimes it laggs out. I find that its generally not as fast as Viigo was

I have done a few pulls and plan to see if it gets any better in a day or so. Overall, I'm pleased and am waiting for more future builds. Nice to see that something is finally coming from the Viigo acquisition.
    12-14-10 07:02 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD