So, from a link on this forum, I downloaded the app and signed up for the one week trial. It was $2.99/month thereafter, or $1.99/month if you sign up immediately. I signed up through PayPal, and my one week trial quickly passed by. I received an email from PayPal with a receipt for my transaction. Turns out, even though you sign up for the $2.99/month deal, you get banged for an extra $1.00. (that's an extra 33%) It's not the amount that gets me, it's the principal of straight up fraud. I wonder how many other users are getting ripped off. It conveniently an amount that most people would overlook, and might just say f**k it, it's only a dollar.

I tried contacting them asking for a refund and have not received a response. I am now contacting PayPal and requesting my money back.

Blackberry Movie Machine | Free Blackberry Movies
    06-22-09 08:42 PM
    So you paid 3.99?

thats messed up of them
    06-22-09 08:53 PM
    So you paid 3.99?

thats messed up of them
    It was automatically debited from my PayPal account, which debits my checking account.
    06-22-09 08:54 PM
    Wow, thats messed up fraud right there.

I too would get pissed, when i pay 5.99

for something, then secretly take an extra 2 bucks per

every time.
    06-22-09 08:56 PM
    Well, I filed my claim with PayPal. We'll see what happens. Just want everyone to be aware of the scam.
    06-22-09 09:19 PM
    Just wanted to give everyone an update...7:00AM today my refund was issued.
    06-23-09 12:48 PM
    good to hear you got your refund, so many slimballs out there trying to rip people off
    06-23-09 01:18 PM
    Any site that claims full free length movies then asks you to pay is a scam, you are paying for access to pirated material.

To the OP, you should do one better than just ask for your money back, report them to paypal for selling pirated movies and they will have their account frozen and wont get their money
    06-23-09 02:22 PM
    Any site that claims full free length movies then asks you to pay is a scam, you are paying for access to pirated material.

To the OP, you should do one better than just ask for your money back, report them to paypal for selling pirated movies and they will have their account frozen and wont get their money
    Just wanted to give everyone an update...7:00AM today my refund was issued.
    06-23-09 02:27 PM

Just me...but why watch any movie on a 3" screen??? let alone pay
    for a service that claims they can legally do that...
    06-23-09 02:40 PM
    Just me...but why watch any movie on a 3" screen??? let alone pay
    for a service that claims they can legally do that...
    Not really the topic of the thread, but I'll bite...

I travel a lot. I'm in airports, and on trains for pretty decent amounts of time. Why NOT watch a movie? Are you trying to tell me Netflix is a scam, too? Because you can stream movies online with them.................
    06-23-09 02:43 PM
    same here, I find myself 3-hours from landing, and not in the mood for a game, can't sleep...

Anyway, I tried the MovieMachine as well, couldn't get anything to download. The closest I got was about half of the 150 MB required, every time it errored out and stopped downloading. Pretty much a waste of time.
    01-24-11 02:06 PM
    Not really the topic of the thread, but I'll bite...

I travel a lot. I'm in airports, and on trains for pretty decent amounts of time. Why NOT watch a movie? Are you trying to tell me Netflix is a scam, too? Because you can stream movies online with them.................
    The difference is netflix is legit. They pay licensing fees to stream those movies. This site does not.
    01-25-11 10:31 AM
    It was automatically debited from my PayPal account, which debits my checking account.
    Ouch! That does suck.
    01-26-11 07:15 AM
    Sort of a tangential comment, but I recommend the following ideas related to Paypal/Ebay:

1) If possible, link your Paypal to a credit card and not your debit card. If someone hijacks your account, at least with a credit card you have a few more protections. Charges can be temporarily disputed while your CC company investigates. With a debit card, that money is gone and it might be harder to get refunds/restitution from your bank/Paypal.

2) If you do a good deal of Paypal/ebay transactions, I cannot speak highly enough for the benefits of the Paypal/Ebay security token. For a small $5 cost, you can obtain a token that gives you dual-factor authentication (something you have/something you know). So when you go to log into either Ebay or Paypal, you would have to enter your usual credentials/PW (something you know) and a number from the cycling token (something you have). Thus, with the key, even if someone could identify your Ebay/Paypal password, they cannot get in to your account. And there are security processes/provisions in place for you to be able to login if you leave your token or lose it.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&...ityKey-outside
    puddin78 likes this.
    01-26-11 07:35 AM
    Sort of a tangential comment, but I recommend the following ideas related to Paypal/Ebay:

1) If possible, link your Paypal to a credit card and not your debit card. If someone hijacks your account, at least with a credit card you have a few more protections. Charges can be temporarily disputed while your CC company investigates. With a debit card, that money is gone and it might be harder to get refunds/restitution from your bank/Paypal.

2) If you do a good deal of Paypal/ebay transactions, I cannot speak highly enough for the benefits of the Paypal/Ebay security token. For a small $5 cost, you can obtain a token that gives you dual-factor authentication (something you have/something you know). So when you go to log into either Ebay or Paypal, you would have to enter your usual credentials/PW (something you know) and a number from the cycling token (something you have). Thus, with the key, even if someone could identify your Ebay/Paypal password, they cannot get in to your account. And there are security processes/provisions in place for you to be able to login if you leave your token or lose it.

I didn't know about the security key for Paypal, thank you! Just signed up for the mobile version which is free (except for standard SMS charge)
    01-26-11 02:38 PM
    I DL this app and also 3 free of their movies without entering any of my details. No email addresses / my Name etc.

The DL's was easy over wifi and the films are ok. I will definately be dubious of upgrading to their Premium service after reading this though.

Thanks
    03-29-12 10:08 AM
    One way I confirm a company is a good company is check their domain name WHOIS information. This company used Privacy protected whois information, which is a huge red flag. I understand if you want your info protected if the site is a personal website, like the sites I have. But if the website is hosting an NGO site or a company site, they should not hide who registered the domain name.
    03-31-12 11:13 AM

Looks like one can't order the token anymore, only a $29.95 credit-card sized key. That or setup the free codes sent to your phone. Good security either way.
    03-31-12 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD