I'm developing an application that will allow me to stream and view video files on blackberry.

To do this I'm using socket programming to receive data. I use a datasource(javax.microedition.media.protocol.DataS ource) to feed these chunks to the inbuilt player. (javax.mircoedition.media.Player)
    Everything here is pretty standard. But I've been facing some difficulty with playing files of a certain format and more alarmingly, even with the file format, I have isssues when the files are transcoded using certain software.

I've attached a file, Format_Testing.pdf, that highlights (results of the code that I'm running) that the container format that works is AVI.
    I hence started looking into creating AVI files and have come across a snag here.

The problem is namely this.

If i transcode a .mpeg file into an AVI with mpeg-4 and say mp3 as the video and audio codecs respectively, using FFmpeg or gstreamer, the file doesn't play. But if i transcode the same file using Mediacoder under the same coder specifications it works fine.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I've transcoded a mpeg file for you to look at if it helps.
    (The forum doesnt allow me to attach links so i've put the links to the files it in pdf- links.pdf)

The first file is the one transcoded using gstreamer (which i believe uses ffmpeg), the second through mediacoder (This is the one that works) and the last is the original file.

Here are the codec details for the Mediacoder file:

Video Track

Codec: FFmpeg MPEG-4
    Bitrate: 613 Kbps
    Dimensions: 320x240
    Frame Rate: 25 fps
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Audio Track

Codec: mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3
    Bitrate: 128 Kbps
    Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2

I used this to create the gstreamer output

gst-launch filesrc location=PepsiMax_Interview.mpg ! decodebin name= dec dec. ! queue ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! avimux ! filesink location=Pepsi_gstreamer.avi

(Currently its video only. But i think that should play regardless)
    10-05-09 02:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD