TomTom reups their agreement with BlackBerry to power maps in BlackBerry 10

TomTom reups their agreement with BlackBerry to power maps in BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

The reviews do not like Blackberry Maps because of the data feeds. Why use them more? Blackberry needs to rethink their partnerships.
    07-25-13 10:47 PM
    I never got problems with Tom Tom maps.
    Why people complain so much about it?
    07-25-13 10:50 PM
    I never got problems with Tom Tom maps.
    Why people complain so much about it?
    It does not work as well as it should for some areas.
    07-25-13 11:04 PM
    Maps

The BlackBerry Z10 comes with its own mapping and navigation solution simply called Maps.
    BlackBerry Z10 review
    The maps themselves have been provided by TomTom, and while they give a pretty good account of the lie of the land, it's not as polished as the excellent Google Maps.
    There are far fewer features as well with just the standard map view available, no satellite overlay, no street view, no flyover, no public transport information – but at least it knows where places are.
    We found the lack of train stations highly frustrating as we tried to the nearest one while out and about in London.
    Visually the maps are not quite as impressive as Google's offering, with the images not looking overly defined – especially when you zoom out.
    Opening the maps app was one of the few occasions where we noticed the Z10 struggling a little, as we would have to wait several seconds for the application to load up and locate us.
    Once located the BlackBerry Z10 was able to keep track of our position well, even in built up areas where GPS sometimes struggles to reach.
    The Z10 also wasn't the smoothest when it came to panning and zooming around the maps, with it needing a second or two each time to render the new image which made for a slightly jilted user experience.
    BlackBerry Z10 review
    There is live traffic information shown by coloured overlays on the roads to show the flow of traffic, with green being good, orange average and red highlighting delays.
    This information is really useful, especially if you're planning a trip, and coupled with the route planner you can see exactly what the traffic is like on the roads you'll be driving.
    It's not just the maps the BlackBerry Z10 offers though, as with Android and now iOS, BB10 also offers free turn-by-turn navigation.
    It's a lifesaver if you end up getting lost, but beware that a data connection is required to load the map so it may struggle in you're up a mountain.

BlackBerry Z10 review: Maps and apps | Phone Reviews | TechRadar
    07-25-13 11:08 PM
    People complain because Tom tom sucks...no map availability in numerous places..we need Google maps

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:48 AM
    TomTom reups their agreement with BlackBerry to power maps in BlackBerry 10

TomTom reups their agreement with BlackBerry to power maps in BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

The reviews do not like Blackberry Maps because of the data feeds. Why use them more? Blackberry needs to rethink their partnerships.
    08-01-13 10:40 PM
    I don't think Google maps is a solution. Google seems to be going out of their way to directly stop supporting services, apps, and features for BlackbErry, not just stop development on new ones, but remove the necessary servers so that old ones still work (like the old Google Sync for BlackBerry). I think Google has come to believe that their services are more valuable to you know than your handset of choice, so if they stop offering their service on other platforms you will switch to android. So TomTom should improve, that is all. The other option is to switch to a different map supplier, Garmin, or NavTech, or Bing, or OpenStreetMap.
    08-06-13 01:44 PM
    I don't think Google maps is a solution. Google seems to be going out of their way to directly stop supporting services, apps, and features for BlackbErry, not just stop development on new ones, but remove the necessary servers so that old ones still work (like the old Google Sync for BlackBerry). I think Google has come to believe that their services are more valuable to you know than your handset of choice, so if they stop offering their service on other platforms you will switch to android. So TomTom should improve, that is all. The other option is to switch to a different map supplier, Garmin, or NavTech, or Bing, or OpenStreetMap.
    They can license the map data from google by signing the search deal with them.
    08-07-13 05:43 AM
    They can license the map data from google by signing the search deal with them.
    In theory, but I am saying I don'tthink google would be willing to sign such.
    08-08-13 04:04 PM
    In theory, but I am saying I don'tthink google would be willing to sign such.
    They created the Android platform to be number one in search. Why? Mozilla gets 300 million from Google for being their top search provider. http://http://allthingsd.com/2011122...oft-and-yahoo/ source

Ads from search are still Google's bread and butter.
    08-11-13 07:24 PM