FYI, after I submitted an FCC violation for Blackberry Maps being blocked on some blackberry devices including my 9700 Bold, I received a call last night from the AT&T Executive office.

This morning I went to mobile.blackberry.com and blackberry maps is now available, including all of the application's features.

Thhhaaaaaannnkkkks AT&T.
    12-17-09 10:01 AM
    FYI, after I submitted an FCC violation for Blackberry Maps being blocked on some blackberry devices including my 9700 Bold, I received a call last night from the AT&T Executive office.

This morning I went to mobile.blackberry.com and blackberry maps is now available, including all of the application's features.

Thhhaaaaaannnkkkks AT&T.
    what?
    what?
    12-17-09 10:06 AM
    HUH? So does that mean all our devices should work? Please elaborate
    12-17-09 10:14 AM
    Well I had it up and working but good to know that it'll remain this way. Thanks
    12-17-09 10:15 AM
    can you attach a draft of the letter sent to FCC? not that we don't believe you but it'll be cool to look at the complaint
    12-17-09 10:16 AM
    oh and btw we were able to download maps since another user posted a link to blackberry.com/downloads ...it seemed to have download a some type of patch which popped up the maps icon on the home screen..
    12-17-09 10:17 AM
    Just like this download which is only 10KB, it was a launcher because BBMaps was all ready on the phone just not accessible. I'm glad its official though and have made the switch to officiality (possible new word? )
    12-17-09 10:19 AM
    I just looked and the site clearly states "blackberry maps is only available on devices running device software v4.1 or 4.2.x". I don't think it will work on the 9700.
    12-17-09 10:23 AM
    Never mind. I got it to work.
    12-17-09 10:27 AM
    Unfortunately I do not have the original FCC report as it was HTML with lots of text boxes, but I can show the receipt!
    12-17-09 10:49 AM
    Very cool...this will definitely come in handy if I need directions and don't have my regular GPS with me!
    12-17-09 10:50 AM
    See having an app that opened blackberry maps was not enough for me. I had a debranded blackberry bold 9000 so I had access to maps and geotagging and other options. I called AT&T to see if they could help because I am on an exchange account and they said unfortunately they do not support maps. They forwarded me to RIM and I spoke to a customer service rep up there that had a 9700 with an AT&T sim. It took about 40 minutes before he gets back on the phone and says, I cannot help you.

I replied, because its on AT&T side? Yes. Because they want us to pay for a map service? Yes.

Thats when I wrote the FCC Violation where AT&T is required to reply with in 30 days of the submittal.
    12-17-09 10:55 AM
    It actually had been available for AT&T devices for a while. I don't know if your letter had anything to do with it. All that is needed is the LBS Ribbon plugin from Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 10:59 AM
    It actually had been available for AT&T devices for a while. I don't know if your letter had anything to do with it. All that is needed is the LBS Ribbon plugin from Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No but the point is, now it's a official apparently. So how and where can I get BB Maps to work? (without using that custom launcher.)

NVM got it to work. DL from mobile.blackberry.com. Thanks for your work! This shows consumers have some what power over Verizon styled bs.
    Last edited by ThePoisonBerry; 12-17-09 at 11:06 AM.
    12-17-09 11:02 AM
    I downloaded it, can't find it anywhereon my AT&T 9700 except in quicklaunch. However, it doesn't launch. What needs to get done to get it to a) launch and b) show up elsewhere?
    Last edited by lighthouse84; 12-17-09 at 11:08 AM.
    12-17-09 11:03 AM
    I could never get it on my 9700 without the shortcut app. I wasn't checking regularly to see if I could get the ribbon, but about once a week for the passed 2 months I couldn't find it. I even got to the point of using the old ribbon from my 9000 bold and that brought up the icon, just with an error, "Maps have been disabled."
    12-17-09 11:06 AM
    Go to Mobile.Blackberry.com on your blackberry (make sure your browser settings are set to mobile) and it should be listed under, "Whats new"
    12-17-09 11:07 AM
    Go to Mobile.Blackberry.com on your blackberry (make sure your browser settings are set to mobile) and it should be listed under, "Whats new"
    Yeap. This is really great news not that maps finally works, but as a precedent for future lockouts like this. We know what to do now. Thanks OP. PM me yur PIN and I'll add you to 9700 BBM group!
    12-17-09 11:16 AM
    I downloaded it, can't find it anywhereon my AT&T 9700 except in quicklaunch. However, it doesn't launch. What needs to get done to get it to a) launch and b) show up elsewhere?
    Did you check your downloads folder? When I downloaded it the icon showed up right away for me on my home screen and launched right away when I clicked on it.
    12-17-09 11:20 AM
    Ok. I found it under "new" and downloaded it. I then go to find it in my applications and it's not there. Nor is it in my downloads. I can add it to quicklaunch but it won't launch. What else needs to be done to it to get it to be shown and to launch?
    12-17-09 11:21 AM
    This news should really be FRONTPAGED@!
    12-17-09 11:21 AM
    I'm a little confused. BBMaps has always been listed in my apps list. However the launcher wasn't available so I dl the launcher and assumed that what I am running is BBMaps. So when I went to the mobil website for What new. Its state BBMaps only available for 4.1 or 4.2? How is that possible? What are we all using?
    12-17-09 11:24 AM
    I'm a little confused. BBMaps has always been listed in my apps list. However the launcher wasn't available so I dl the launcher and assumed that what I am running is BBMaps. So when I went to the mobil website for What new. Its state BBMaps only available for 4.1 or 4.2? How is that possible? What are we all using?
    BB Maps was locked out by att but the coding was still on every device, so some guy on forum wrote a launcher to launch the coding. But now it's official you can just get the RIM Launcher to official unlock the coding.
    12-17-09 11:39 AM
    i've had bb maps on the 9700 for a couple of days now. all you had to do was go to mobile.blackberry.com and click on download blackberry maps.
    12-17-09 11:43 AM
    I love blackberry maps sucks that at&t blocked in the first place, but now I have it and will never get rid of it!
    12-17-09 11:47 AM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD