Just wondering if its normal that I can't locate satelites...quite often. Is there something I can do interms of setting or is it just a crappy GPS and I should get an app that might work better?
    04-23-10 05:59 PM
    wondering the same
    04-23-10 06:01 PM
    Blackberry maps does seem to take awhile to locate. Google maps is much faster. I dont know of any setting to change. It is not a crappy GPS just the maps app is slow. You are outside or near a window correct? Just had to ask. Some people dont know how GPS works.
    04-23-10 06:09 PM
    just tried turning on my Blackberry maps and it was searching for satelites forever!!...lol
    04-23-10 06:24 PM
    just tried turning on my Blackberry maps and it was searching for satelites forever!!...lol
    Do you have a gps lock in options>>advanced>>gps ??
    Have you tried google maps? Its a lot better than bb maps.
    04-23-10 06:26 PM
    Try loading up google maps get GPS the back to BB Maps seems to work for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 06:27 PM
    I use google maps, I got tired of BB maps.

04-23-10 06:28 PM
    Although Google Maps does indeed grab the GPS more quickly and provides more detail than Blackberry Maps. I find Google Maps to be much more sluggish in loading maps when in a moving vehicle. It also uses a lot more data than Blackberry Maps. This comes into play if you are in a situation where you are being charged data for roaming.
    04-23-10 06:36 PM
    I had had more than one ocassion that google maps has failed to get me to the correct location and bb maps has not failed me yet

04-23-10 06:40 PM
    Hey folks! Long time troller of the forums figure this was an opportune time to sign up and save the day!

Do you have a hard time getting a fix on satellites outside on a clear sunny day?
    Well here is a fix for you

BLACKBERRY GPS FIX: for the 5.0 OS
    Options-->Status
    In the status screen type "TEST"
    New screen pops up
    Hit menu button
    Select 'Start'
    you will now see a list of options, select 'GPS' from this list.
    then select 'Run'

New screen comes up saying 'GPS Test' in the top left
    It will say "Go outdoors and get the GPS receiver fixed to satellites by clikcing the Start Fixing menu item." When you actually can't pull up a menu with the menu button lol.
    So press your trackpad/trackball button in then select 'Start Fixing'

can take a few minutes but it will calibrate your GPS for satellites in your area.

Trying doing this fix whenever you enter a new area or you are outside and satellites seem to be taking forever!

Now i can get a gps lock in 10 seconds.

Cheers!
    04-23-10 06:48 PM
    Thank you very much !!!
    04-23-10 09:11 PM
    I also had a hard time getting a satellite connection. What I did was put my 9700 in my window at home office and fooled around with it until I finally locked on. I also refreshed my signal. Once I made a connection I left my device with the gps locked on for a few hours. I did this off and on for an entire day. I don't know what It did but now I can lock on in about 5-10 seconds. Never fails, I turn the gps on and bang, locked on. Try it.
    04-23-10 09:55 PM
    You can get your location with BlackBerry Google Maps.

After you install the new version on your BlackBerry Storm, you should notice improved accuracy for My Location and Latitude.
    04-23-10 11:56 PM
    thanks mine worked but it was slow this helped thanks very much
    04-24-10 01:38 AM
    I personally use google maps and it works "ok". I did the gps fix thing a member described above. I'm hoping it'll improve stuff. Will report back later today.
    Question; I'd rather be using bb maps because a lot of stuff interacts with it. Example-- I use my 411 program... Find what I'm looking for... I want to map it... The program will give me a message that says something along the lines of "need to install bb maps--install now?". If I agree, it takes me to the bb maps download page but THERE I'm told that bb maps is only for devices running OS 4 point whatever....

So... Is there a bb maps for 5.0?
    Or do we just download the 4.5 one and hope it works?

04-24-10 07:42 AM
    Just wondering if its normal that I can't locate satelites...quite often. Is there something I can do interms of setting or is it just a crappy GPS and I should get an app that might work better?
    Had the same issue. All is good with Google maps. Locates in seconds. Have used this in Malaysia, Singapore, China and HK during a recent business trip and located in seconds.

04-24-10 08:13 AM
    Mine works flawlessly thus far with BB maps. Is actually quicker than my wifes phone running Google maps on a mytouch3g.

04-24-10 08:34 AM
    I personally use google maps and it works "ok". I did the gps fix thing a member described above. I'm hoping it'll improve stuff. Will report back later today.
    Question; I'd rather be using bb maps because a lot of stuff interacts with it. Example-- I use my 411 program... Find what I'm looking for... I want to map it... The program will give me a message that says something along the lines of "need to install bb maps--install now?". If I agree, it takes me to the bb maps download page but THERE I'm told that bb maps is only for devices running OS 4 point whatever....

So... Is there a bb maps for 5.0?
    Or do we just download the 4.5 one and hope it works?

Scratch my question. I installed it through DM-- it's a 5.0 app according to my application list-- and it works great. I uninstalled google maps.

04-25-10 06:45 AM
    I see that I have the app for bb maps when I look at the applications screen in the options screen but I can't find the app itself to use. Is there a way to do this?

04-27-10 12:29 AM
    Thank you for the tip!
    04-27-10 07:35 AM
    You will need QuickLaunch or ShortcutMe.

04-27-10 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD