Hello.

I have just moved from a Treo to a Blackberry, (bold, in my case) and mostly not regretting it except for the bizarre and ridiculous way that RIM has set up the email client. You can't force it to use POP if your server supports email, you can't specifiy TCP/IP ports, you can't basically sent any kind of email parameters to control your environment like you can on any other email client in the world... even Microsoft Outlook, and I HATE microsoft.

So... is there a 3rd party app that COMPLETELY circumvents the whole RIM email package, basically accepting incoming mail as POP or IMAP and sending outgoing mail as SMTP, and allowing ALL appropriate parameters to be completely controlled by the user?
    08-31-09 03:24 AM
    So... you don't like push e-mail?
    08-31-09 03:53 AM
    My emails are what ramen noodles really should be, truly instant! :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 04:12 AM
    I do hate the stupidity of posters on this site.

I don't think the two posters above me even read the first post, OP does not say he does not like push email or that they are not instant. His complaint is that you cannot set custom parameters to the setup.

Not all people run their mailserver with the default settings. Unfortunately my mailserver is google apps, so it auto configures.

Are you on BIS or BES? Have you checked to see if there is any configuration options?
    08-31-09 06:11 AM
    sgolux: what do you need to change? RIM uses their own servers for the outgoing mail so you will have no settings for that. For incoming stuff, you have the most common controls like port and SSL.
    08-31-09 09:18 AM
    Hate is a strong word. Relax
    08-31-09 09:21 AM
    The majority or large corporations would disagree with you.

I'm going to chalk this up to just one opinion. One person who wants their email tailor made. BB's are by far the best in doing what they do: email

So to make such a blanket statement like "TERRIBLE" when the email market has proved otherwise, is plain dumb.

And it looks like some homework should have been done before you got the device.
    08-31-09 12:21 PM
    I think the majority of USERS would disagree.....email is one of RIMS selling points not detractors.......what a wierd first post!
    08-31-09 12:49 PM
    Yeah, what Mookish said.
    08-31-09 03:52 PM
    I think that RIM was the king of email, but they have fallen behind the times. Most other platforms (iPhone, WinMo, Palm) offers instant email and a full IMAP client.

I agree with the OP 100%. Sure push email is quick, but that is about it. You can't manage your email on the device (2 way sync anyone?!?), you have no way to view folders or email that was all ready on the server. Have to work hard just to get it to display images.

BES gives you some more functionality, but not much. BIS is just awful. I don't know how people put up with it.
    08-31-09 04:03 PM
    I used to use Chatter Email on a Treo 755p and it was a much better experience than BlackBerry's BIS. Chatter had Full IMAP folder support and syncing so it did not matter whether I used my Treo or laptop...everything was always in sync.

That being said I am happy with my Tour and have adjusted to BIS email. The Tour's multitasking is what won me over.
    08-31-09 04:13 PM
    Hello.

I have just moved from a Treo to a Blackberry, (bold, in my case) and mostly not regretting it except for the bizarre and ridiculous way that RIM has set up the email client. You can't force it to use POP if your server supports email, you can't specifiy TCP/IP ports, you can't basically sent any kind of email parameters to control your environment like you can on any other email client in the world... even Microsoft Outlook, and I HATE microsoft.

So... is there a 3rd party app that COMPLETELY circumvents the whole RIM email package, basically accepting incoming mail as POP or IMAP and sending outgoing mail as SMTP, and allowing ALL appropriate parameters to be completely controlled by the user?
    I understand your point of view. The problem is that you are not understanding what a BlackBerry is and what it isn't.

Your mindframe coming from the Treo product is that your BlackBerry should be a satellite of your laptop email client. It isn't. Never will be. No interest in being that type of device.

A BlackBerry is not a remote version of Outlook. Nor is it an archival tool for you to keep emails from your college days. It's generally not something you'll use to look up last year's budget email from the CFO.

BlackBerry has never positioned itself as a satellite replacement for your laptop. Palm's Treo and other Windoze Mobile products do try and fill that niche. BlackBerry has no interest in playing in that arena.

What a BlackBerry does is fit the niche of giving you communication in the here and now. And they do that better than anyone else. Got an email from the boss on a new product release? If you are using a BlackBerry, you'll get that email instantaneously. Your Treo-using colleagues won't. They'll have to wait until they sync up to their email.

Treos/Windoze Mobile are great archival devices. They aren't that great on instant communication.

BlackBerry is great on instant communication. They aren't that great on archival research.

It isn't to say that you can't keep old emails on your BlackBerry - you can.

It isn't to say that you can't send email right now from your Treo - you can.

But a Treo doesn't live in the here and now like a BlackBerry.

And a BlackBerry doesn't remember (or generally care to remember) what happened weeks, months or years ago.

Your biggest problem is that you just don't "get" BlackBerry yet. That's not a slam. Many of us took a little time to "get" BlackBerry. I was one of them. Today, you couldn't get me to look at a Palm or Windoze Mobile device. Yawn. No interest.

Think of a BlackBerry as a newspaper and a Treo as a history book. The newspaper gives you the latest news on a timely basis but isn't very good at telling you what you need to go to the library to research. The history book can answer questions about what happened 100 years ago but can't answer what's going on today.

The BlackBerry is a tool to live and work in the moment. The Treo is not.

Now you may decide that you prefer the Treo and that's fine. But before you make any final decisions, ask yourself one question ...

Why is it that BlackBerry is the best selling Smart Phone in the world and the Treo isn't even close?
    08-31-09 08:14 PM
    I understand your point of view. The problem is that you are not understanding what a BlackBerry is and what it isn't.

Your mindframe coming from the Treo product is that your BlackBerry should be a satellite of your laptop email client. It isn't. Never will be. No interest in being that type of device.

A BlackBerry is not a remote version of Outlook. Nor is it an archival tool for you to keep emails from your college days. It's generally not something you'll use to look up last year's budget email from the CFO.

BlackBerry has never positioned itself as a satellite replacement for your laptop. Palm's Treo and other Windoze Mobile products do try and fill that niche. BlackBerry has no interest in playing in that arena.

What a BlackBerry does is fit the niche of giving you communication in the here and now. And they do that better than anyone else. Got an email from the boss on a new product release? If you are using a BlackBerry, you'll get that email instantaneously. Your Treo-using colleagues won't. They'll have to wait until they sync up to their email.

Treos/Windoze Mobile are great archival devices. They aren't that great on instant communication.

BlackBerry is great on instant communication. They aren't that great on archival research.

It isn't to say that you can't keep old emails on your BlackBerry - you can.

It isn't to say that you can't send email right now from your Treo - you can.

But a Treo doesn't live in the here and now like a BlackBerry.

And a BlackBerry doesn't remember (or generally care to remember) what happened weeks, months or years ago.

Your biggest problem is that you just don't "get" BlackBerry yet. That's not a slam. Many of us took a little time to "get" BlackBerry. I was one of them. Today, you couldn't get me to look at a Palm or Windoze Mobile device. Yawn. No interest.

Think of a BlackBerry as a newspaper and a Treo as a history book. The newspaper gives you the latest news on a timely basis but isn't very good at telling you what you need to go to the library to research. The history book can answer questions about what happened 100 years ago but can't answer what's going on today.

The BlackBerry is a tool to live and work in the moment. The Treo is not.

Now you may decide that you prefer the Treo and that's fine. But before you make any final decisions, ask yourself one question ...

Why is it that BlackBerry is the best selling Smart Phone in the world and the Treo isn't even close?

There are ways of making the BlackBerry work for archival
    Well said....................
    08-31-09 08:16 PM
    Well said....................
    Thanks Larry.

Funny thing. I don't even think of the Treo these days as a technology tool. And I can't really remember the last time I even saw anyone using one. Have an old friend who is a realtor and she uses a Treo because it runs some old dinosaur real estate software program.

Here in LA, if you aren't using a BlackBerry or an iPhone, you are almost laughed at.

Forbes Magazine has a new edition out and they're talking about the coming battle between RIM and Apple over dominance of the Smart Phone market.

Forbes prediction is that RIM will win and Apple will lose. I'd agree.
    08-31-09 08:28 PM
    To the OP:
    Sign up for a gmail account (free) and fwd & filter your current email to it. Download the free OTA gmail app to your BB.
    Voila!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 11:20 PM
    well RIM certainly has the staying power....and with the purchase of TORCH hopefully well start to see some improvements....I agree though...I mean look RIM was just #1......apple is hurting themselves with all the conditions and lock downs they put on their devices!
    09-01-09 07:44 AM
    I'm guessing you haven't used a Treo since the 600 or else never used Chattermail. With chattermail and an IMAP server that supported IDLE, you got email at the same time that it popped into your Outlook via IMAP. AKA instantly without having a stopover on another company's server and giving up your credentials to a third party. Plus you could keep an archive of your emails on your SD card so there was never a reason to go anywhere else for your email if you so desired. Nothing on WinMob or Blackberry has been able to touch that ability. Unfortunately the OS behind it was dated but the peak of mobile email is still Chattermail on IMAP with IDLE. (easy on the battery too)
    09-01-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD